PDA

View Full Version : Nice photo...

Scream And Fly
01-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Taken by Maureen at the Javits Boat Show in New York.

mk30h
01-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Notice the prop, first attempt at through prop exhaust, didn't work well and was abandoned by ELTO and later OMC. Didn't resurface until 1957 with the Merc Mark10.
Nice shot Maureen!

Scream And Fly
01-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Good eye - I was looking at that myself. Interesting engine! Here's one more...

Trikki1010
01-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Was that the limit of the "small boat" section at the Javits ????

I used to love going there, but the egos that run Manhattan keep bringing those LARGE lead sleds to the Javits.

The RV and Boat show at Rockland Community College usually caters more to OUR crowd than the Javits.

Nice Elto BTW, she's MINT :D

Trikki1010
01-03-2005, 04:28 PM
AND,

Is THAT the high performance boat that Maureen picked :p

Just kidding Maureen ;)

Raceman
01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Man, that looks brand new like it's never been used. I guess somebody'll be showin' Greg's HydroStream like that 50 years from now.:D

Trikki1010
01-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I guess somebody'll be showin' Greg's HydroStream like that 50 years from now.:D

:eek: :eek: AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH ;)

triple dude
01-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Good one Raceman!!!! :D I was at an auction over the weekend and there was an old Muncie outboard. Never saw that brand before. Maybe from Muncie, Indiana????

staylor
01-04-2005, 07:25 AM
...made motors under various brandnames, most common being the "Neptune" in the 30s-40s. and the "Miti-Might" up until the 70s or so. According to Peter Hunn's book on old outboards, some were also sold under the Munco brandname. I had a 5 hp Neptune, circa 1938, as my first motor. It was a simple opposed 2 cyl, Tillotson carb, Wico ignition. It usually would not start due to a very weak and underpowered ignition, even with new coils and re-charged magnets- yes, in the old days flywheel magnets were not permanent and needed to be re-magnetized every 5-10 years. The 5 hp Neptune used a rotary choke on the carb air inlet and also included a rudimentary primer- consisting of a small plunger attached to the float that came up thru the top of the float bowl. If it wouldn't start with the choke, you'd hold down the primer plunger until the gravity fuel system flooded the carb. This usually gave you enough fuel to know you had bad ignition! This motor was a "basement queen" at my house up until 2 years ago. I paid $10 for it in 1960 and sold it to a collector of Neptunes in Indiana for $40. plus shipping in non-running condition. New buyer said he had a source for NOS coils.
Doug

Fish
01-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Man, that looks brand new like it's never been used. I guess somebody'll be showin' Greg's HydroStream like that 50 years from now.:D
:D :D :D

Mark75H
01-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Never saw that brand before. Maybe from Muncie, Indiana????

No. Elto is an unfamiliar brand these days, but it is one of the foundation names that rolled into OMC at it's beginning.

ELTO is an acronym for Evinrude Light Twin Outboard. Ollie Evinrude had sold the rights to the Evinrude name before starting a second outboard company .... which Bess Evinrude named ELTO. The owner of Briggs and Stratton started OMC and bought both Evinrude companies (from different owners), Lockwood-Ash, Johnson and became the first man to own a majority of 2 companies traded on the NY Stock Exchange.

ELTO was one of the biggest names before 1940.

blkmtrfan
01-04-2005, 09:21 AM
That was great Raceman :D

Greg, maybe it should be put in a vacuum capsule right now to stop any corrosion and/or oxidation ;)

150aintenuff
01-06-2005, 04:14 AM
No. Elto is an unfamiliar brand these days, but it is one of the foundation names that rolled into OMC at it's beginning.

ELTO is an acronym for Evinrude Light Twin Outboard. Ollie Evinrude had sold the rights to the Evinrude name before starting a second outboard company .... which Bess Evinrude named ELTO. The owner of Briggs and Stratton started OMC and bought both Evinrude companies (from different owners), Lockwood-Ash, Johnson and became the first man to own a majority of 2 companies traded on the NY Stock Exchange.

ELTO was one of the biggest names before 1940.

Mark... i believe they were refering to muncie OB not ELTO..... at least thats what i gathered from post....