PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame

Jimboat
12-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I just got a telephone call from Thom Dickinson, VP of the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame (http://www.cmhf.ca/execs/inducteeannounce.htm), with an invitation to the Gala on January 29, 2005 - where Mark Rotharmel will be inducted and recognized for outstanding achievements in Canadian motorsport.

The inductees are selected by a panel of racing and automotive journalists from across the country who review each nominee presented for that year. Each inductee has been chosen based on their contribution to the sport within their particular discipline. Since its inception in 1993, more than 110 people have been inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame including Greg Moore, Scott Goodyear and Gilles Villeneuve.

Pretty good company!

Mark and I raced together in the '80's, and is still a great friend. He even contributed the Forward in my "Secrets of Tunnel Boat Design" (http://www.aeromarineresearch.com/stbd2.html) book. This recognition is certainly well deserved. Congratulations, Mark!

largecar91
12-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Jim, I don't know if you remember me or not but I talked to you a couple times on the phone about building my own sst-120 boat. You sent me your book. I finally got it built in September of this year. Your book and your info was a great help to me. I studied about everybodies tunnel bottoms I could and saw what seemed to work and what didn't. We then designed the boat from scratch on c.a.d. It turned out excellent!! A little more work than I anticipated but it was worth it! The boat is light and fast and comes out of the hole like a rocket. Still not sure of rough water capabilities but time will tell. Still a lot more testing to do. I talked to a lot of the racers and most of them were very helpful. I will be racing the boat next year. Thanks again and I will send some pics.

largecar91
12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
more pics

largecar91
12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
finished boat

Jimboat
12-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Barry - that's a beautiful looking boat! I'm glad that you found the STBD book helpful. Send me some pics - I'd love to see more. If you'd like one of our AeroMarine hull decals, let me know.

Call any time, Barry!

largecar91
12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I would love to have one. Thanks.It is Barry Wolf 2521 Thornhill Dr Troy,Ohio 45373. I will post more pics later.

largecar91
12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
more pics

largecar91
12-04-2004, 06:20 PM
I started with a new capsule that I bought from Todd Lamb(the old Caniff molds)before he sold the molds. He gave me access to his shop to get a lot of measurements and ideas but I ended up just starting from scratch. I didn't want to splash his hull.

Scream And Fly
12-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Great news Jim. I think many people here know how great your Secrets Of Tunnel Boat Design book is, and more importantly to us, your Tunnel Boat Design Software. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to run through a comprehensive analysis of our STV on your latest version. We've run a best of 131.4 MPH with a stock SportMaster case - and there's more to go. Fantasic book and software that is a MUST for any tunnel boat enthusiast.

I have to call you sometime soon too!

Greg

http://img5.exs.cx/img5/2931/euro_image.jpg

luvgoing fast
12-04-2004, 11:52 PM
very nice boat. its always good to see home designs.

Scream And Fly
12-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I agree - impressive for sure!

Cobalti
12-05-2004, 03:51 AM
There must be a great sense of acheivement at the end of such a project.

I would love to do that some day..

Jimboat
12-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Actually, although I appreciate largecar91's comments re: my book and software, this thread was really intended to make note of the indoctrination of Mark Rotharmel into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame. This is a great achievement, and tremendous recognition for Mark. He's a good friend of mine, which is why I posted the notice.

Greg - can you clean up this thread back to it's intent, without losing the cool pics and notes of largecar91's new boat?

largecar91
12-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I STARTED A NEW THREAD. I DIDN'T MEAN TO INTRUDE ON YOURS. SORRY, I REALLY JUST MEANT THE COMMENTS AND THANKS TO YOU.BARRY

Jimboat
12-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks again, Barry....

seems like your cool boat pics really got everyone going! Thanks again for the nice comments. I will send you a Aeromarine hull decal.

T2x
12-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I've known Mark Rotharmel for over 30 years and am proud to call him a friend.... He's a great choice for induction , a consumate professional, and a very talented driver. He and his dad went out of their way to make us welcome when we raced in Canada...and I will always be grateful for that.

Last time I saw him, we were both announcing the Offshore races in Toronto...... Mark for Canadian TV ....me for Speedvison and TNN. We had dinner and it was like no time had passed at all. The two guys I think of when I point to class acts in boat racing are Mark....and Steve David.......

Congratulations, Mark ...you deserve it....... even if you did sell out to OMC in the end...;)

T2x

mrd32
12-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Just last week I donated a day's work to help out Mark, ended our night with a good meal and a few drinks, then a bottle of wine to cap it off.... lol
it's nice to see him inducted into the hall... lots of good friends have made it there, and many more desreve to be nominated as well.

A tip of the old hat to ya Mark....

Had a blast watching old race footage with him and remembering all the old details of F-1 in the 80's....your friend Mart.

Firestarter
12-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Here is one of Marks old race boats, MRD you should know more about this one. He is restoring it and putting the orginal CCC motor on it.
MRD... I was sitting beside you in Jasper.

Firestarter
12-20-2004, 03:38 PM
forgot to add picture

Firestarter
12-20-2004, 03:38 PM
more of it

AnthonySS
12-20-2004, 04:06 PM
MARK has been and still is a mentor too me. One of the few people that actually encouraged me and assisted me in my Hi-performance quest...right from the early days.

A true ambassador of Hi-performance boating and has contributed much to our sport.

What an Honour and well deserved.

Congrats Mark...I owe a lot too you;)

I am also honoured to have gotten one of those calls too Jim:D

Flat Out
12-31-2004, 11:22 PM
I was proud to receive one of those calls as well. Hope to attend. Mark is very deserving of this award.

Firestarter
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
and the restoration continues

Firestarter
01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
more, it is beautiful

Firestarter
01-17-2005, 10:52 AM
final pictures

T2x
01-17-2005, 05:46 PM
and the restoration continues

What kind of power......?

T2x

Firestarter
01-18-2005, 09:02 AM
No it is not a T2x, or a T3, it is going to be the original CCC.

Glenn
01-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Yes, congratulations!

I had the honor of meeting Mark Rotharmel at Flat_Out’s Season Opener. Very friendly and willing to take the time and share his F1 stories from back in the V8 days with all of us there. After that weekend I recalled that I had some old pictures I had taken of an F1 boat back in ‘84 at the Montreal Boat Show. Coincidentally, they turned out to be his boat. I had sent him the pictures and he replied saying that was his first F1 boat. It was a Burgess hull and his favorite. Here are the pics…

Glenn

Glenn
01-20-2005, 09:45 PM
another...

Glenn
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
one more...

AnthonySS
01-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Great Pics Glenn..THANKS

Jimboat
02-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Here is a picture of Mark at the CMHF Gala, the night he was inducted. The restored Molinari looks beautiful, thanks to the efforts of some talented craftsman that came through at every turn. John Spaeth and his team at HydroStream in Brechin did most of the preparation, and I know that several others helped.

AnthonySS
02-07-2005, 10:16 AM
GREAT PIC JIM....thanks...and congrats once again to Mark

BK
02-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I ended up just starting from scratch. I didn't want to splash his hull.
You're my HERO!
I so admire hard working and honest people like youself.

Gorgeous work and congrats! Hope to meet you at the races someday!

Also - - RE: Rotharmel

There is the story and photo of Mark and the Molinari on the APBA website News page. www.apba-racing.com

What is the history on the boat?

Jimboat
02-12-2005, 02:13 PM
BK - You asked about some history of the Molinari. Here is a picture of Mark's Molinari, when he was driving it in F1 (Mod U, really) 1981-82 season. While I thought that this boat was one of the prettiest hulls, Mark always described it as "tempermental". Mark won several races in this boat, but DNF'd alot in it too - that was more the boat/engine's fault, than it was Mark's! He crashed the Molinari 3 times - "barrel rolled" and "stuffed" twice. Mark bought the boat back, in 2002, from a friend that had purchased it many years prior. Originally, Mark was interested in getting the old steering wheel, as a keepsake, to put on the wall somewhere. But he eventually bought the boat, the bunks and all the bits and pieces that went with it. He kept it for several more years, in a garage, even contemplated hanging it from the ceiling at his cottage. Eventually, he decided to rebuild it, along with an Evinrude CCC engine like the one that powered the Molinari originally in 1981-82.

T2x
02-14-2005, 11:18 AM
BK - You asked about some history of the Molinari. Here is a picture of Mark's Molinari, when he was driving it in F1 (Mod U, really) 1981-82 season. While I thought that this boat was one of the prettiest hulls, Mark always described it as "tempermental". Mark won several races in this boat, but DNF'd alot in it too - that was more the boat/engine's fault, than it was Mark's! He crashed the Molinari 3 times - "barrel rolled" and "stuffed" twice. Mark bought the boat back, in 2002, from a friend that had purchased it many years prior. Originally, Mark was interested in getting the old steering wheel, as a keepsake, to put on the wall somewhere. But he eventually bought the boat, the bunks and all the bits and pieces that went with it. He kept it for several more years, in a garage, even contemplated hanging it from the ceiling at his cottage. Eventually, he decided to rebuild it, along with an Evinrude CCC engine like the one that powered the Molinari originally in 1981-82.

Hey Mark..........

Bring it to Clayton in 2006......... and New Hampshire this year....... You can drive my Wing.....If Johnny Sherlock and I can drive that.

T2x

Glenn
03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I'll repost those 3 pics......

Glenn

Glenn
03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
2nd.......

Glenn
03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
3rd..........