PDA

View Full Version : Best Event Sponsor ???

Danny McManus
11-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Please list your thoughts on outboard racings history of
event sponsors... I recall years ago when we had companies
such as PPG, Castleberry Foods, Champion Spark Plugs, Etc....
I'd say Mercury Marine easily stands out as the longest standing
corporate supporter of our sport, but I am looking for recollections
from the "Tribal Elders" :) about past sponsors that were not
directly associated with the marine industry....
As always, I respectfully appreciate your replies!!!!

Gordie Miller
11-15-2004, 11:02 PM
were all the result of a connection. PPG was the paint supplier to the manufactureres, Mitsy(sp.)Castleberry was married to Steve DeSouza and Champion, well that's too obvious. I'll be interested to see the results of this one.

Danny McManus
11-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I too am interested, as it seems that major revenue support
often comes from a direct connection in some fashion, that is
to say, that even at the highest levels, our sport is financially
supported by benevolent contributors with a close tie to one
or more of our fellow sportsmen.... (not because one of us
"landed" a sponsor because of pure capital benifits)

Mark75H
11-16-2004, 08:02 AM
The Salton Sea and Lake Havasu races were originally sponsored by the local land development companies. Havasu did have a tie in with outboards as Mssrs. McCullough and Evinrude were part owners of Lake Havasu.

Going farther back William Randoph Hearst sponsored many races in the 30's, 40's and 50's. Other than being an outboard fan I don't know of any connection.

Once the land was all sold and developed, the developers had little incentive to continue supporting those sites. When Hearst gave up the reigns of his newspaper empire his sponsorship left as well. Hearst's successors hardly ever put boat racing on the front page of their sports sections.

Bruce Washburn
11-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Budweiser/AB has sponsored several forms of boat racing and teams.

Miller which was Phillip Morris at the time sponsored a team of boats in the early 80's.

several Beer distributors have also sponsored events on a local level.

What about sun care Products??? Bull Frog, Australian Tan etc

Another thought would be turn Bouys made in the shape of a Can for drink products or the shape of spark plugs.

If we want sponsorship we need to be able to show how we can draw fans. A sponsor shape of a race that is seen by 2000 people and cost a sponsor $1000 is not as good of a deal as an event that cost $30000 and is seen by 80,000. When you compare Nascar to boat racing and really start to look at the numbers for a national advertiser, Nascar is a easier sale and better deal. It is all about the number of eyes that see the message.
I think that our best shot would be local or regional sponsors who are after the type of customers that would most likely attend a boat race. What do boaters spend their dollars on? A deveolper marketing a boating community may be a great local sponsor. Cell Phones, Truck / SUV/ tow vehicles Dealers, Marine Dealers, Local beverage distributors, Restaurants, Bars,t etc. The West marine type stores may also be great prospects. We also need to consider what ways we can enhance the sponsors exposure. such as, at site displays, VIP tents, sales booths, mentions in Race promotions etc.
Attracting and developing good long term sponsors takes time and effort. When we sell a sponsor we need to provide a good show and the fans if we want to keep them for the next year.

Jeff_G
11-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Bruce said;
"Attracting and developing good long term sponsors takes time and effort. When we sell a sponsor we need to provide a good show and the fans if we want to keep them for the next year."

And if we don't provide a good show, if the drivers don't show, then there is no race and no need for sponsors. I was just informed we lost Conway. Lack of boats. Looks like no racing in SC this year.

spn#43
11-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_G
I was just informed we lost Conway. Lack of boats. Looks like no racing in SC this year.

:eek: :mad: :( :confused: :mad:

THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!