PDA

View Full Version : Cool Old Pic

largecar91
11-02-2004, 06:13 PM
JUST ANOTHER COOL OLD PIC

Mark75H
11-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Yep, real cool :) It's one of Scott and Don Bridges' pics from their website: Bridgesboats Classic boats & racing (http://groups.msn.com/bridgesboats/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us)

I think Scott shared it here some time ago.

largecar91
11-02-2004, 07:21 PM
THESE ARE JUST SOME NEAT OLD PICS I HAD ON MY OLD COMPUTER. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I DOWNLOADED THEM FROM. JUST WANTED TO SHARE THEM. IT IS GREAT TO TALK TO SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW ABOUT THE PICS AND THEIR HISTORY!!

Mark75H
11-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Largecar, do you have any more of the boat with 5 engines?

Raceman
11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
I've seen that picture before also, but looking at it now made me notice something unusual. The pair of BP's (not super BP's, but the earlier std BP) with the down studs (I think but can't see for sure) mid section and Speedmasters adapted to em. Does that mean that somebody was still runnin' the obsolete BP's when the Speedmasters came along or were they available earlier than we thought? If they are in fact down studs mids it's VERY interesting that an adapter was available to fit a Speedmaster. If they're up studs it would appear that somebody's runnin' early BP powerheads (or maybe just cowls) on the later Super BP mids.

Mark75H
11-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Raceman, I think its time to buy a new monitor. Up stud/late style mids on these. Look for the nuts showing on the left side. Decals on the powerheads don't mean much to racers; could be Super/135 blocks hiding under there, we don't know, do we?

Raceman
11-03-2004, 02:16 AM
You're right on the monitor. I'm on my laptop now and can see the coves for the up studs plainly. As far as the cowls, it'd be more than just stickers since the supers had the louvered cowls and the stripe down the top also.

Stretch
11-03-2004, 08:40 AM
I can only imagine what those sounded like, Can they Idle with that exhaust set-up? Just wondering.

largecar91
11-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I USED TO HAVE A T-2 C6. IT HAD A DIFFERENT BOLT PATTERN THAN MY LATER T2( I BELEIVE A COUPLE EXTRA STUDS). I WAS TOLD IT USED THE OLD 135 BLOCK. IS THIS CORRECT?IT WAS A GREAT ENGINE!

WATERWINGS
11-04-2004, 03:09 PM
If exhaust relief doesnt do any good, why the megaphones?

I have heard/driven a boat with those..........BOY ARE THEY LOUD!

largecar91
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
It was a true t2. i was told it was a prototype. it had pretty wild porting in it. i have heard other people talk about the c-6 but don't really know the history.

Mark75H
11-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Wings, the stacks are not simply exhaust relief, they are a particular length. The exact length is determined by the duration that the exhaust port is open and the motor rpm.

When the length agrees with the port duration and motor rpm it has an effect similar to increasing the compression ratio and having a vacuum cleaner attached to the motor to remove spent exhaust. With open megaphone pipes the best you can increase the power is about 15%.

Large, if it was a prototype, it couldn't be a "true T2" at the same time. It could be a true "factory" race motor (rather than built up from parts). There were only 2 inline 6 bolt patterns. The change is between 71 (135) & 72 (140) for production motors, but it is possible that a prototype C-6 built in 1970 or 1971 could have had either. A 135 bolt pattern C-6 would use the 1250 Super BP mid section instead of the T2 mid section.

C-6 refers to an inline 6 with 6 carbs instead of 3, a lot of racers use it genericly to refer to all the pre Twister2 6 carb prototypes and both versions of the Twister2. A motor that doesn't say Twister (either blank, 1350 or "Super Six") would be one of the motors that Merc refered to the press as a C-6. As far as I ever heard they never told the press about the Super Six name, they just jumped from C-6 to Twister2. Pre Twister2 C-6's were not available to customers.

As if any of this really matters .......:o

T2x
11-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Mark75H

As if any of this really matters .......:o

Oh but it does...........

Now back to the electric shifting OMC faux speedmasters that we all remember lovingly.

T2x;)

largecar91
11-04-2004, 06:10 PM
I SCREWED UP SENDING THE LAST REPLY. I BOUGHT THE MOTOR FROM A GUY IN FEDERAL WAY, WASHINGTON BACK IN 1983 OR 84 (DON'T REMEMBER HIS NAME),HE SAID IT WAS A FACTORY RACE ENGINE. IT HAD THE T-2 MID AND IT CAME WITH 2 SPEEDMASTERS, A 1:1 AND A 13:16. IT HAD 6 TILLOTSON TC3B'S AND IT WAS RIGHT HAD.