AnthonySS
10-29-2004, 09:27 AM
THANKS to Mark Rotharmel for sending me this pic

from front to back:

Oley Berkis #44,
Spencer Dunn #S-1
Mark Rotharmel #11
Bert Serra #501

Mark was only 20 here...can you imagine....Very cool;)

Jeff Lytle
10-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I was arounf the OPC Pits in those days, and remember all those guys well.

Mark is alive and well, Oley and Spencer have passed on, Bert??

I do not know........Anyone else??

David_L6
10-29-2004, 10:15 PM
There's that nut that likes to go 120mph on a 1/4" piece of plywood! ;)
Where ya been Jeff?

BMourant
10-29-2004, 11:46 PM
I was with Mercs Race team in those days....brings back many memories...have lots of pics myself

Jeff Lytle
10-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by David_L6
There's that nut that likes to go 120mph on a 1/4" piece of plywood! ;)
Where ya been Jeff?

Oh Ya'know.......Here and there.............There mostly!

Murph
11-01-2004, 11:52 AM
This has been hanging in the garage for years

BMourant
11-02-2004, 12:36 AM
I was with Mercs factory race team...Oley was great driver and a really nice guy....when I see his pic it brings back so many memories..........of Spencer...Mark...Andy Savard.....Fred Wolf and the gang..........

Murph
11-02-2004, 01:05 AM
I know I have more pictures of him at the races. They are on slides. When I get time I am going to transfer them to digital. I remember him coming down for launch and he had the umbrella in his boat keeping the sun off. I also remember that horrible accident when he got hit in the head buy another boat and he still came back to race a couple of years later. He always put on a show for the crowd. A true sportsman.

kerrieb
04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi guys - I am Oley's oldest daughter Kerrie. I am in the process of making albums for my children who never really got to know their grandfather Oley. Any photos you have would be fantastic.

BMourant
05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi guys - I am Oley's oldest daughter Kerrie. I am in the process of making albums for my children who never really got to know their grandfather Oley. Any photos you have would be fantastic.

Hi Kerrie dont know if you remember me or not....I worked for Mercury and was with the Racing team......I have a few pics of your dad and a few others I would be happy to send you.....just need an email addy....you can email me at brewlad4@yahoo.com.......... Bruce M.

Matt2581
05-20-2007, 06:17 AM
well i would like to let everyone know that my father bert serra i s alive and well and living in florida as we speak his son matt serra

Matt2581
05-20-2007, 06:17 AM
well i would like to let everyone know that my father bert serra i s alive and well and living in florida as we speak his son matt serra

AirRide
05-25-2007, 08:37 PM
THANKS to Mark Rotharmel for sending me this pic

from front to back:

Oley Berkis #44,
Spencer Dunn #S-1
Mark Rotharmel #11
Bert Serra #501

Mark was only 20 here...can you imagine....Very cool;)That IS a great photo! Cool piece of history. How many years did each of these Mercury(Canadian) Factory Team drivers race for Mercury?

peterse90
07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
That IS a great photo! Cool piece of history. How many years did each of these Mercury(Canadian) Factory Team drivers race for Mercury?

Mark Rotharmel could be more accurate but here is what I remember;

Oley Berkis started about 1971 as an independent with a "rocker' bottom Molinari with a stock 135 Merc and got his Canadian Factory ride starting in 1973. Oley ran Merc factory right through the end of 1979 and continued to run a Merc in U class for many more years even though the Canadian Merc factory team officially had the 'plug' pulled about April of 1980.

Spencer Dunn started with the Canadian Merc team in 1972 with a 'full front' Molinari/Twister (silo style), in 1973 he got a new sprint Molinari/Twister II and in 1974 & 1975 he had a very fast pickle fork Molinari/Twister T-IIx. In 1976 Spencer went back to OMC.

Mark Rotharmel started in either FG or FE and in 1973 ran with Merc support in SUI and SJ. In 1974 Mark and Bert Serra teamed up and ran U class. Mark's greatest success as a Merc factory driver was in 1976 with a pickle-fork Molinari/TIIX and from 1977 to 1979 with Seebold/Merc V6 power. When the Canadian factory team ceased in 1980 Mark went over to OMC where he started with V6's and graduated up to the V8's.

I only remember Bert Serra being at a few races here in Canada, I think maybe a few in 1973 but mostly 1974.

kerrieb
07-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Just a quick note to let you know that Oley Berkis began racing much before 1971 as noted in the previous messages. I am his oldest daughter and I know for a fact that he personally built his first V bottom Switzer racing boat the winter of 1957 (the year I was born) in our garage and raced it the summer of 1958 and on.
He raced many a marathon in Lake Ontario - Toronto to Oshawa, etc. in his newer tri-hull Switzer around 1965? and was featured on the front of the Toronto Telegram newspaer may times.
It is correct that his first tunnel hull was 1971 and I remember helping him break in his new engines at our cottage. The boat was orange and hard to control as it didn't have trimplanes in those days. Everybody thought dad was crazy because that boat would fly so high.
Fred Wolf was just a young man (16 or so) when my dad met him at our cottage on Go Home Lake where his family had a cottage as well. I think that would have been around 1965??? - I was just a little girl.
Hope this information is interesting to you.

Bogman
07-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Just a quick note to let you know that Oley Berkis began racing much before 1971 as noted in the previous messages. I am his oldest daughter and I know for a fact that he personally built his first V bottom Switzer racing boat the winter of 1957 (the year I was born) in our garage and raced it the summer of 1958 and on.
He raced many a marathon in Lake Ontario - Toronto to Oshawa, etc. in his newer tri-hull Switzer around 1965? and was featured on the front of the Toronto Telegram newspaer may times.
It is correct that his first tunnel hull was 1971 and I remember helping him break in his new engines at our cottage. The boat was orange and hard to control as it didn't have trimplanes in those days. Everybody thought dad was crazy because that boat would fly so high.
Fred Wolf was just a young man (16 or so) when my dad met him at our cottage on Go Home Lake where his family had a cottage as well. I think that would have been around 1965??? - I was just a little girl.
Hope this information is interesting to you.

That IS cool kerrieb !! If you've got time visit www.fastboatscanada.com and share this story and who you are. Alot of the people enjoy a little local boating history. Cheers.

Dan

kerrieb
08-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Just a few old photos you might enjoy from 1958 - 1971. My dad raced many boats before his first tunnel in 1971 as you can see.

largecar91
08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I can't open the pics??

Mark75H
08-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Adobe Reader ... free at www.adobe.com (http://www.adobe.com)

kerrieb
08-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I have attached smaller GIF files that you should be able to open if you do not have Adobe which would open the original files

FUJIMO
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Mark Rotharmel could be more accurate but here is what I remember;

Oley Berkis started about 1971 as an independent with a "rocker' bottom Molinari with a stock 135 Merc and got his Canadian Factory ride starting in 1973. Oley ran Merc factory right through the end of 1979 and continued to run a Merc in U class for many more years even though the Canadian Merc factory team officially had the 'plug' pulled about April of 1980.

Spencer Dunn started with the Canadian Merc team in 1972 with a 'full front' Molinari/Twister (silo style), in 1973 he got a new sprint Molinari/Twister II and in 1974 & 1975 he had a very fast pickle fork Molinari/Twister T-IIx. In 1976 Spencer went back to OMC.

Mark Rotharmel started in either FG or FE and in 1973 ran with Merc support in SUI and SJ. In 1974 Mark and Bert Serra teamed up and ran U class. Mark's greatest success as a Merc factory driver was in 1976 with a pickle-fork Molinari/TIIX and from 1977 to 1979 with Seebold/Merc V6 power. When the Canadian factory team ceased in 1980 Mark went over to OMC where he started with V6's and graduated up to the V8's.

I only remember Bert Serra being at a few races here in Canada, I think maybe a few in 1973 but mostly 1974.

peterse90...thanks for the team breakdown. So, what is that, a total of about 4 Canadian Merc Factory Drivers? thanks

mark benson
12-23-2010, 06:40 PM
# 501 Bert Serra, is not Canadian and lived south of the border, but came to many Canadian races for, National Points. # 482 Lee Davies from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, was the top Western Canadian Mercury Factory assisted driver in the mid '70's & raced at the Parker 7 Hour Enduro, many times!
peterse90...thanks for the team breakdown. So, what is that, a total of about 4 Canadian Merc Factory Drivers? thanks

peterse90
12-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Mercury Canada gave support to quite a few drivers who owned some of their own equipment (so technically they were not full factory supported drivers).
I believe Barry Taylor in 1971 had full Merc Canada support when he drove #177 the Molinari that previously was driven by Don Clark in the USA. And I'm guessing Andre Savard had full Merc Canada support with his UU class boat in '71 and again in 1973 in his U class Burns that he got seriously hurt with in Picton.
As Mark Benson has pointed out Bert Serra got help from Merc Canada but I know Bert owned his boats as I'm sure Lee Davies did as well out in British Columbia. Too bad Lee never got a chance to come 'east' and compete in the Canadian National Championships that were always held in either Ontario or Quebec.
'71

stevebucknor1
01-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Oley Berkis started about 1971 as an independent with a "rocker' bottom Molinari with a stock 135 Merc and got his Canadian Factory ride starting in 1973. Oley ran Merc factory right through the end of 1979 and continued to run a Merc in U class for many more years even though the Canadian Merc factory team officially had the 'plug' pulled about April of 1980. It was really amazing.

mark benson
01-10-2011, 07:16 PM
CANADIANS that raced at the Lake Havasu World Outboard Championship!
# 1 Ray Fernandes Mississauga, Ontario Burns/Evinrude
# 2 Bob Pickett/Spencer Dunn Cooksville, Ontario Checkmate/Chrysler (2)
# 7 Tom Wood Peterborough, Ontario Pinel/Evinrude
# 177 Barry Taylor/Oley Berkis Unionville, Ontario Burns/Mercury
# 260 Eric Davis Toronto, Ontario Kitsoncraft/Chrysler (2)
# 439 Hank Zacharias Surrey, BC Western-craft/Mercury
# 988 Dick Summerfeldt/Jim Cascadden Toronto, Ontario Molinari/Merc (2)
#1920 Paul Ingold/DJ Young Hamilton, Ontario Glastron-Molinari/Merc (2)
# 73 Spencer Dunn/James Delgreco Port Credit, Ontario Molinari/Mercury

J. Sherlock
01-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Mercury Canada gave support to quite a few drivers who owned some of their own equipment (so technically they were not full factory supported drivers).
I believe Barry Taylor in 1971 had full Merc Canada support when he drove #177 the Molinari that previously was driven by Don Clark in the USA. And I'm guessing Andre Savard had full Merc Canada support with his UU class boat in '71 and again in 1973 in his U class Burns that he got seriously hurt with in Picton.
As Mark Benson has pointed out Bert Serra got help from Merc Canada but I know Bert owned his boats as I'm sure Lee Davies did as well out in British Columbia. Too bad Lee never got a chance to come 'east' and compete in the Canadian National Championships that were always held in either Ontario or Quebec.
'71

I would like to say that thanks to Mercury Canada and Mr. Pinel, racing for them was a highlight in my career.

peterse90
01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I would like to say that thanks to Mercury Canada and Mr. Pinel, racing for them was a highlight in my career.

John, that sure says a lot given your accomplishments and all the boats and classes that you drove and excelled in that you have such fond memories of SE class.
From 1977 to the early 80's I think our SE class in Canada had the most boats of any class and the Merc vs. OMC competition was terrific for the racers and the spectators.225133

shadowcat
01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
peter-does this mean the boat show is over for the day- your online!

J. Sherlock
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
John, that sure says a lot given your accomplishments and all the boats and classes that you drove and excelled in that you have such fond memories of SE class.
From 1977 to the early 80's I think our SE class in Canada had the most boats of any class and the Merc vs. OMC competition was terrific for the racers and the spectators.225133

The picture looks like the SE Pinel as it ran the kilo and set the record. The engine did not pump water for better than half the run in both directions.. I would let it pump the first half of a pass but not the last half. The boat was better than 2 mph faster with 0 press.. In the picture I would say the trim is in the position she would stop pumping.....

peterse90
01-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Can't remember which one of my magazines that picture was in (Better Boating ??) but yes it's you setting the SE kilo record at just over 77mph at Welland, Ontario

J. Sherlock
01-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Can't remember which one of my magazines that picture was in (Better Boating ??) but yes it's you setting the SE kilo record at just over 77mph at Welland, Ontario

I can remember running her at that trim angle to get out front in a race but would have to bring her down and get maybe 4 lb press to keep the engine alive....... Peter I don't need to tell you that even at 4 lb it was touch and go :eek:

In a race I could always cool the engine down a little by running a parallel wake down the center of the tunnel.

peterse90
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I think I usually had between 10 and 15 lbs of water pressure with my 650XS.

John, do you remember what prop you and Lorne used and what rpm you were turning?

J. Sherlock
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I think I usually had between 10 and 15 lbs of water pressure with my 650XS.

John, do you remember what prop you and Lorne used and what rpm you were turning?

To answer your questions on prop and rpm's...no and no. To be honest with you I would run the boat as it was given to me, the only input I would give Mercury was how I felt the engine was performing and if I could would make changes, but many times, running Mod U, SJ and SE in the same weekend, they would make the necessary changes, normally float level and fuel pressure changes. The only gauge I was interested in was the water pressure gauge. As a driver I, of course, was responsible for the legality of the equipment but as far as how the engine was built, and for my sake hopefully legally, my responsibiliity was to put Mercury Canada out front. I had more fun than should be legal for any one young guy!!! I do seem to remember we ran the kilos at 8000 rpm.

Thank you for the picture, I love it, only have one other of the SE I drove......

T2x
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
To answer your questions on prop and rpm's...no and no. To be honest with you I would run the boat as it was given to me, the only input I would give Mercury was how I felt the engine was performing and if I could would make changes, but many times, running Mod U, SJ and SE in the same weekend, they would make the necessary changes, normally float level and fuel pressure changes. The only gauge I was interested in was the water pressure gauge. As a driver I, of course, was responsible for the legality of the equipment but as far as how the engine was built, and for my sake hopefully legally, my responsibiliity was to put Mercury Canada out front. I had more fun than should be legal for any one young guy!!! I do seem to remember we ran the kilos at 8000 rpm.

Thank you for the picture, I love it, only have one other of the SE I drove......

All of the T2x powerheads I got from Bob Paterson were legal "S" engines. Of course that class rule limited only cu.in, natural aspiration, and fuel......:D

J. Sherlock
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
All of the T2x powerheads I got from Bob Paterson were legal "S" engines. Of course that class rule limited only cu.in, natural aspiration, and fuel......:D

As I thought, the engine must have been OK :D :leaving: