PDA

View Full Version : boat 2 high on trailer

chynewalkr
05-10-2004, 07:48 PM
I went to put my "new" boat in the water the other day and i couldnt get it far enough into the water to float it off. I knew it was high on the trailer but geez.

Im just looking for ideas of what to do, the trailer is in great shape so i dont want to scrap it. i was thinking of cutting the bunks down but i cant go down to far before the hull hits the fenders. can i get a wider axle and keep the spring perches in the same location? i also had an idea to extend the tongue but i dont know if thats even worth it. id probably need to extend it 6 ft to go down 8 inches.

by the way i cant back up into the water because i tow with a mustang

its getting warmer and im not getting any wetter!

chynewalkr
05-10-2004, 07:52 PM
see how high it is

Techno
05-10-2004, 07:59 PM
If its an option find a steeper launch. Theres one round here that is too gradual like your saying.
I found my axle is mounted above the springs. If yours is below the springs and you have the frame clearance this will gain you the axle diameter in lowering it.
Probably the best bet is to change your trailer into one of the breakable kind. Forgot the term but the tongue is on a pivot with a pin lock. This lets the rear of the trailer go down and the front go up. The tongue pivots several feet forward of the axle. Stays hooked up. I think its for no launches or shallow ones.
Still need the depth to float the boat though.:D

mendo
05-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Doesn't look like you could go much lower before you start to hit the fenders :(

Liberator25
05-10-2004, 08:32 PM
The easiest solution is a steeper ramp. Be cautious of lowering it too much, you'll drag important stuff.;)

chynewalkr
05-10-2004, 08:34 PM
i even thought of using lowering blocks like what the sport truck guys use (my axle is over the springs) maybe that and a combo of a few things i mentioned.

ive never seen the trailers that raise up and down, cept on maybe a pontoon once.

the launch i use is very gradual but it is close to home and free, plus its very uncongested.

Rickracer
05-11-2004, 06:03 AM
...drop the bunks, and move the fenders out. I have done this to a few trailers. :cool:

chynewalkr
05-11-2004, 09:02 PM
i took the axle off today to see about making it wider, no way. the distance from the spring perch to the wheel is so far i think it would bend.

So it looks like i can drop the bunks maybe 4 inches then get a longer tongue maybe 3 feet longer and try launching again. If that doesnt work ill end up lookin for a new trailer

chynewalkr
05-11-2004, 09:06 PM
another thought...has anyone ever tried those plastic strips you put onto the bunks that make them slipperyer? im afraid they might ruin the straightness of the bottom. what about spraying the bunks with silicone or something?

Rickracer
05-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Had you thought about replacing the axle? Tractor Supply keeps a few axles in stock. You could move up to the next size/weight housing. It might cost you a couple hundred to make the switch, but that's less than a new trailer. :cool:

gaineso
05-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Silicone on the bunks definitely helps. I tow with a Grand Marquis and my boat is probably heavier than yours, so I definitely know what you are talking about. A longer tongue might be a good idea, but not on the trailer. It'll make it bounce bad and screw up the balance bad. My trailer has the adjustable supports and I' ve got it set down as low as I can without hitting something.

The silicone spray on the bunk carpet really helps, especially loading. Boat slides real easy.

stokernick
05-12-2004, 07:10 AM
silicone spray works great,but remember as easy as it slides off it`ll slide on and be sure you have it well tied down!!

captcarb
05-15-2004, 06:27 PM
You could also re-arch the springs a little flatter. It looks like you have a ton of room to do that.

Jim

JustMercMe
05-19-2004, 01:36 PM
I'd just try and find a trailer that would fit your application better. You can find trailers in boat trader alot. Either that or a marine that deals in used boats alot...see about a trade. Just my 2 cents.

Psyco
05-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Get a proper trailer for the boat.