PDA

View Full Version : Premix or injection

Jerry Millington
05-05-2001, 09:25 PM
I have a 2.4 with oil injection ,But was told its
better to premix and disconect the pump.

TTriton
05-05-2001, 10:03 PM
On all of our commercially used Merc 2.4's we remove the oil injection system but you need to also use quality 2-stroke oil! And mix it with the fuel. I see many people at the dock fill up there entire tank then the last thing they do is dump cheap oil in. Two thing wrong here. When you dump the oil in last it has little time to get mixed up then when you use cheap oil it has very poor disulution properties and doesn't mix well no matter what you do. We've towed in many people that do this and I've seen blown motors because the oil didn't mix or people would tell me that the engine started smoking really bad then died because the oil pooled up and they were sucking up pure oil.. Hope this helps. But I'm sure as there always is someone will have a differnt opinion.

Jerry Millington
05-05-2001, 10:17 PM
What oil do you recomend.
And should i remove the pump or just disconnect.
jerry

thebone12
05-05-2001, 11:37 PM
My 2 cents

i think that removing the oil injection from your mercury is a way to be positive that your engine is getting oil by mixing it your self with the fuel. i would do this and use yamaha oil. I think that the yamaha oil is alittle thinner and most racers use is. but my other thought is that you can also install a new omc vro pump in place of the old oil injection pump(the new omcs are very good) and use that with a systems checks gauge in place to give warning of problems)
Just my 2 cents
John

Techno
05-06-2001, 04:19 PM
There is one point everyone forgot to mention. If your turning high RPMs the oil injection mechanics will fail. This is the biggest reason to remove it. I think the only reason for removing it. If the system fails under normal circumstances? It shouldn't.
You have to REMOVE the pump There is a thread somewhere that says how to do it. The plastic gear on the crank strips. A block plate is needed.

I have come up with a solution though. Oil injection to the fuel tank. While refueling you pump the required amount of oil into the fuel tank. The fuel being pumped in mixes it and no bottles or measuring or other crap needed.
If you are going to use a bottle for measuring I suggest to mark the bottle in GALLONS and forget the ounces stuff. If you think that accuracy is next to godliness then figure This. At 32:1 for 10 gallons= 40 oz. At 33:1= 38.78oz. You have too be way off for it to matter.
The Gallon marks for me is easy, at 32:1 it's 4 oz. per gallon. If you pump 17gallons you add oil to the marks that give you 17gallons fuel pumped. (17 mark at 68 oz or equivalant addition- 10 mark at 40 oz and the 7 mark at 28oz.) Why use a measuring bottle just to look at a table?

OIL. Walmart special- pennzoil marine 100% synthetic. Around $20.

[Edited by Techno on 05-06-2001 at 04:33 PM]