PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Aluminum

Liqui-Fly
09-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Can I work on aluminum plates with my woodworking tools. I've come acroos some 1" and 1/2" plates that need to be turned into something but I'd rather use something other than files. Any do's and don't on this?

David

wing nut
09-30-2003, 01:26 PM
keep the aluminum well lubricated or it will get lal stuck in the files, jigsaw or whatever else your using. you can use a grinder or dremel, or die grinder (air power)..

scott

skywagon
09-30-2003, 01:38 PM
If you have a big enough band saw to cut the larger(area) plate just change your wood(lower teeth per inch count) to a metal cutting blade(higher teeth per inch and usually Bi-metal). Check the Mcmaster Carr catalog. I cut up to 4 inch thick Al plate with our ban saw using a coolant/lubricant. Don't use too much pressure and let the blade do the work for you. Go to www.mcmaster.com and look up Band Saw Blades. It's a good reference. Hope this is what you were refering to. :)

Liqui-Fly
09-30-2003, 01:49 PM
I use my bandsaw and other tools for fine woodworking so all the cuts would have to be popcorn fart dry., What about the dry lubricants like you use on an electric razor?

Thanks

David

ken medendorp
09-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Beleave it or not you can use wesson cooking oil the liquid type orthe cooking spray for no stick in frying pan's called Pam works really good with carbide burrs in a dremel or die grinder.This will help saw blade or carbide grinding burr from loading up with aluminum

MN4V
09-30-2003, 01:55 PM
I've been using my tablesaw with a corian blade to cut 6061 1/4" alum. Cuts like butter!
Just wear eye protection and go slow, don't want to bind up this material.
Mark N

BarryStrawn
09-30-2003, 03:07 PM
I suppose it depends on the type of cuts you need but a Sawzall will do the trick for home shop use. But its hard to beat a large metal cutting bandsaw if you have one.

mr.clean
09-30-2003, 03:18 PM
go nice and easy :)

CRMERC
09-30-2003, 06:33 PM
I can cut or mill any thing you can dream up. Besides I don,t want to here any whinning in the spring when its time to have the romp. I have ton of projects for the winter so let me know.

Bruster
09-30-2003, 07:22 PM
a cheap carbide blade works great!!! Go slow, you can cut dry without problems. Wear your leather gloves safety glasses long sleves etc. Cuts just like a piece of hard oak.

BarryStrawn
09-30-2003, 08:05 PM
You guys actually cut 1" plate handheld on a table saw? I've done some sheet but was never tempted to try anything over 1/8". Earplugs are a good idea:)

Bruster
09-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Done 1/2", I wear shootin' muffs. Just go slow.

SteveO
09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Tablesaw, radial or mitersaw - Use fine tooth carbide blade, dry, multiple light passes - no problem. You can buy table saw blades designed for non-ferrous metals. I've allways just used a fine cross cut wood blade. Clamp it to a cross-cut sled if it looks too spooky to be hand-held on the tablesaw.

BarryStrawn
09-30-2003, 09:55 PM
I'll keep that in mind. I have a special carbide blade for aluminum and have used it several times for 6061 and 3003 sheet. My memory is I was warned to only use it on thin materials where it could basically punch each chip out full depth. I suppose as long as you keep the heat under control it should be OK.

MN4V
10-01-2003, 09:02 PM
I cut some more 6061 1/4" thick alum today on my table saw (corian blade - carbide). The cut was 1 1/2" wide. A little scary but just used some plain common sense while cutting it. The blade hieght was around 2" high for the 1/4".
Be carefull while pushing through, the back part of blade must not pick up the alum and throw it at you! Yes, only someone who has used a table saw many hours should really try to cut something like alum. It could really cause some damage if it were to fly!
I've been known to take control of 1 1/2" thick oak board that is binding up in a delta table saw, where some would jump out of the way. But I know I would not try to do that with alum.
Mark N

Earl Murchison
10-01-2003, 09:37 PM
1/2 to 1 inch I use a wood cutting band saw with a 4 tpi hook blade from Sears. Al that I cant get in my band saw i cut with worm drive skil saw with carbide blade.

sho305
10-01-2003, 10:43 PM
I worked in a shop and we used standard steel bladed band saw to cut it. It worked ok dry too, but used a cooling pump to save the blade all the time anyway. Just a little pump in a wash basin under the saw. Use the water mix lube and it is not messy at all. They run pretty slow and cut nice. Also used a steel cutoff saw with the ferrous blade like a grinder, for cutting angle and such. It left a big burr but went through easy. We used AL tubes to cut wood on and hit them with the skill saw a few times...it went through it like butter. They had about 3/16" wall thickness. Clamp a straight edge to run your skill saw against, and cut deeper & deeper; multiple passes. We used tapping fluid when we drilled, or oil, to make it cut nice. I bet the pam spray would work nice. It is funny, you have to try to find the way it wants to be cut, what speed/lube/etc. or it will plug your tools.

Racemore
10-02-2003, 05:13 AM
To make the adapter plate for my t-3 to an alpha case I used a circular saw with a regular carbide blade that I'd use for wood construction.Cut 1/2"plate like butter.To work the edges,smoothing or rounding corners I use a metal cutting adbrasive blade in the same saw.I turn it upside down and lock it in a vise,wedge the guard open and clamp the switch on.I work the edges on the table of the saw to keep it square.Use to make custom mods to ATV's for my kids by putting suspension on ridged frames.I made my tripple clamps that way out of 5/8's alum and put xr80 forks with the springs remove and air fittings in the top caps.Trick 50 and 60cc 3 wheelers that handled woops like a 250R.For porting I've always used trany fluid to keep the bits from clogging up.It eats.ALWAYS wear eye and hand protection.Lonnie:cool:

Liqui-Fly
10-02-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm going to try my bandsaw first. It sounds the safest...and I found some blades for it. I'm going to lubricate with dry film lubricant that has Teflon.

Thanks for the ideas.

David

sho305
10-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Bandsaw does make a course cut. Once I did take a DA with 320 paper and sanded a finned area, then I sprayed color on it. I locked the DA to spin with the worn 320 paper and polished the raised fins....then cleared. It looked cool. Was the top plate on a quad four engine. It gave a shiney machined look to it.

RB in NM
11-20-2003, 03:33 PM
with a cheap wood blade for years. Don't use the type with the welded on carbide tips, they will fly off if pushed to hard.
I just cut some more 1/4" plate last night. Dry cut, no juice or lube needed. Tape the bottom of the saw foot with frezzer tape or the blue painters masking tape to prevent form scratching yer alum plate. wear gloves and eye protection, have a cold beer on hand for when you'e done......LOL !

Russ

1FASTLASER
12-16-2003, 07:49 AM
You already have had some input on cutting aluminum and they are all good. Do to the fact that I am a journeyman in metal fabrication i have cut many miles of aluminum. The best by far to cut aluminum with is called a Metabo. In a way it is a right angle grinder but with a built in clutch so you cant burn it up easily. The standrd metabo blades work well but they get used up quickly. It is a much better investment to get the blades called Razorblades or get the metaboblades called Professional Gold. Both the tool and the bladescan be purchased at a industrial supply company,macmaster carr and I beleive even home depot has this. If you need help obtaining these or any other questions about metal Fabrication I would be willing to help you in anyway possible.

Just Another Fast Boater Friend
1FASTLASER

Fast Fred
12-16-2003, 08:23 AM
use cutting wax ;) , this is the key:cool:

Liqui-Fly
12-16-2003, 10:12 AM
I had some success with my bandsaw with a new blade but then I got intertested in some new projects after everything was wavy and crappy looking. Looks llike I should be liikong for the "right tool for the job". 1fastlaser I thought Metabo was an actual company name. I'll dig around and see what I can find on them. Perhaps it's not to late for the wifey to get me something for Christmas:)

David

Liqui-Fly
12-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Is the clutch to keep you from getting murdered by kickback?

David

natzx7
12-16-2003, 11:21 AM
I just sheared the drive key in my cheapy Delta 10" table saw cutting some 3/16" plate.:(

mjwalters
01-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Ihave cut 1'' alu with both a hand saw and a table saw. Try to find the thinest carbide blabe you can find. Use some lube. Some blades last forever some only make one cut. When a carbide tip comes off it embeds in the alu and takes out the other teeth. where glasses and a shield and a hat.

Techno
01-15-2004, 04:15 PM
I haven't tried this but it should work. Get an end mill for mill machines and use it in your router. Routers are built to take side loads.Select the mill by the collet size since they aren't standard like a router is.
Use a guide and shallow cuts to start.
It's better if you find one thats meant for aluminum since aluminum will clog the steel type. Different helix angle. And a roughing bit would be better than a finish type.

bulldogdaddy
04-01-2004, 08:01 PM
if ya feel like making a trip,we have a computerized plasma cutter that we use to cut down 10ftx4ft sheets.
can progam any design,name or whatever.
after cutting you just da the edge and its great!

Georgia Boy
04-12-2004, 07:41 PM
The thoery of taking a side load is the same but the one difference is that a router has an extremely higher RPM than a milling machine has plus it does not have the horse power a mill has to turn it. Its worth a try, but becareful if the mill was to break it could be like a bullet coming at you. Goodluck~ GB

shadowman
04-12-2004, 08:17 PM
To cut aluminum with a serious table saw. 3 HP and above saws could be deadly. I've had kickback happen with a good sized peice of wood with my unisaw and all I can say is while I was lying on the floor I was'nt sure If I was gonna get my breath back or not!! It broke the skin just below my navel and put me on the couch for a couple days.:( If it would have been aluminum I might not be here now. I've cut lots of aluminum with miter saws and hand tools but you must use caution not to let it bind. A skill saw with a good blade and a strait edge wil give a pretty good cut even If you cut progresively deeper over several passes.

Good luck and be safe:) , Brian

bulldogdaddy
04-16-2004, 08:08 PM
as soon as i get my jackplate im i'm cutting a backing plate for it.
will post pics as soon as its done

mpcf1000
02-26-2006, 12:39 PM
carbide blades on a skill saw or table saw work well to cut aluminum
im not so sure id be interested in cutting 1 inch think material though would be extremely dangerous
it can also be done on a bandsaw with care
as far as lube i use a product called allcut it comes in a tube and the tube with the wax like product is aplied to the saw blade frequently

yachter55
08-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I cut a 6"x6'x3/8 i beam with a concrete saw.clamped piece of wood for the straight edge.like cutting butter

Xlrator
09-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I used a circular saw with a (yellow?) metal blade and a 2x4 clamped for a straightedge to cut up a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" diamond plate. I did it at work with a 18v DeWalt cordless circ. saw!!

xinexusix
10-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I was thinking of fabricating a metal spoiler to mount onto the rear of my Action to keep the water from coming over the back when slowing down to an idle. It's not a ton of water but it's enough to get your butt wet if you're sitting in the back :mad: Diamond plate sounds like an interesting option but whatever I end up using it's got to look good. Anyone ever solve this problem in the older model Actions? I wanna keep my rear passengers from getting swamp ass :D

mragu
10-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I read all the post and was suprised noone came up with the answer.
Chopsaw with a cutoff blade, and wear goggles and cut slow

1BadAction
10-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I was thinking of fabricating a metal spoiler to mount onto the rear of my Action to keep the water from coming over the back when slowing down to an idle. It's not a ton of water but it's enough to get your butt wet if you're sitting in the back :mad: Diamond plate sounds like an interesting option but whatever I end up using it's got to look good. Anyone ever solve this problem in the older model Actions? I wanna keep my rear passengers from getting swamp ass :D
shut it down slower and it wont swamp.

rock
10-07-2007, 09:32 AM
The answer to the original question of using woodworking tools is yes. I do it a lot. They do make nonferrous blades but any carbide tipped blade will work. Same with a router. I use a product called Alucut made by Walter. Works well and contains no wax. They also make a product for steel. I use a radial arm saw with a non carbide blade that I cut steel with. Blade looks like a plywood blade but without any kerf. It will cut I-beam. Kinda violent but cuts are very clean.
Rock

yachter55
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
X home depot sells plastic diamond plate.

jay1
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
a machine shop owner here in town told me to soak a Carborandam blade in light oil.. works for stones too.. i had always thought it would breakdown the glues or resins in the blade itself... but it doesent .. actually works amazingly well..

ehill
03-23-2009, 02:22 AM
I cut aluminum with my skil saw all the time and it does a pretty good job.

Bruster
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
carbide blades on a skill saw or table saw work well to cut aluminum
im not so sure id be interested in cutting 1 inch think material though would be extremely dangerous
it can also be done on a bandsaw with care
as far as lube i use a product called allcut it comes in a tube and the tube with the wax like product is aplied to the saw blade frequently

The thicker the material the easier (safer) it is to cut. You want to use a fire tooth blade so there is at least 2 teeth in contact with the cut. Where you get in to problems is when there is only 1 tooth in contact with the material and it takes to big of bite. OUCH!. They cut big pieces of aluminium on a big table saw like arrangement at the supply houses.

Johnmatrix
03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
When it comes to working with Alu I find 70% Isopropanol to be the best cooling liquid. Smoother surface and cleaner cut :)

When it comes to stainless steel I find ROCOL to be very good. http://www.rocol.com/lubricants/english/metalworking/rtd/

donmac
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
skill saw with the blade in backwards works for me!

150aintenuff
11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
i use a 90 tooth carbide finish blade on my table saw... works flawless up to an inch thick and even cuts thin stainless steel tube if your easy with it...

coins coins coins
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
any aluminium can be worked with normal woodworking tools..... skill saw,jig saw,router,table saw even a band saw.....buy a tube of product call Allcut its a waxy type of lubricant designed for metal cutting with metal blades
stinks like chit when its reaches melting point
also use carbide cutting tools only and go slowwwww very very slowwwwwwwwww

Sold honda, bought hondo
10-13-2010, 05:58 AM
I have cut 1" thick plate with a worm drive and a smooth cut carbide tip blade...the more TPI the better...And a squirt of wd-40 about every 12" of cut....And i have done lots of it...on an average night at work i might make 100+ cuts on 12" x 1'' plate. I also cut jig tables for all the mills anytime we had a new part to machine 3'x4'...use a guide for a straight line..the is the important part...don't bind the blade..it gets hot and the chips stick to it...
How long do blades last? Don't know, never wore one out yet.

And a skill saw will also work..ya just have to go a little slower to keep the bade speed up...and it takes no pressure to cut..if ya have to push. you arn't doing it right.