PDA

View Full Version : Here's my idea of a sleeper:

Raceman
05-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Not quite as subtle as the AMC I saw, but not much to tip it off.

Raceman
05-19-2003, 04:21 PM
It's no 9 second car, but I think it'd run 11's with traction. It's an old stock factory LS7 crate motor (12.5:1 compression, open chamber rectangle port heads, 2nd design L88/ZL1/LS7 camshaft). It's got an M21 and 3.73 gears and NO TRACTION with the skinny tires.

Scream And Fly
05-19-2003, 09:11 PM
That car is beautiful. I think the understated style it has is perfect too. I've always perferred that look in a hot rod.

Greg

half fast
05-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Yea the Grand National loves those too,says they taste like CHICKEN !!!!!!!!!!!!! he he he he Cool ride ya got there,probably my favorite of all your cars. hf...

Barefoot Bob
05-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Check out the blue flaked 69 SS 396 boat puller

Raceman
05-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Neat car BB. You still got it? I really like the 68 - 72 Novas. I looked at a yellow 396/350/turbo 400 at the car show last weekend but there was a flaw or two that probably was just the tip of the iceberg on some cobbled up repairs. A nice one is high on my want list.

ShorePounder
05-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Sleeper my a$$!!! That black F-body w/ poverty caps screams COPO car :D :D

Raceman
05-19-2003, 10:10 PM
I was trying to make it look COPO ish Flounder, even though it's not an original anything. The problem is, I'm so STOOPID, that I put 15" wheels and tires on it and the COPO's had F70 X 14. It'd have been just as easy to buy the right stuff, but I was in the Z28 section when I ordered the tires and didn't want to do em over.

Barefoot Bob
05-19-2003, 10:14 PM
He just finished the resto and has always wanted a pic in front of my boat. They match pretty darn good, but it sure looks better in person

Raceman
05-19-2003, 10:22 PM
The flake's kinda neat too. Not many people around here use it anymore but I've always liked it. It's a bitch to get off and go back to regular stuff though.

Barefoot Bob
05-19-2003, 10:34 PM
I like the flake also. The car has been in storage for about 15 years. He purchased it with that paint on it in real nice condition. He completely rebuilt the whole car in the last 2 years. The only thing left to do is repaint it to bring it back to original. I told him to just leave it, the paint looks good. He also has a 63 Chevy II convertable that is a national show champion.

LaserModVee
05-20-2003, 07:08 AM
There's a green COPO Camaro that looks just like that one in Columbus, Ohio. He has several drool-worthy cars like that in his collection. Maybe Raceman's long-lost twin brother or something?! :)

On a related note to the COPO deal. My father's close friend in southern Ohio, (who built my last drag car motor), had two, (2), COPO Camaro's. One he bought new, the other he bought only a year or two old.
The used one was white, bench seat, 4sp, 427/425. No heat, no radio, no nothing. It was sold in the early eighties or late seventies.
The new one he kept until the early nineties. Blue with black interior, 427/425, 4 sp., no bells or whistles. I think it had buckets though. He raced the car from the day he bought it until he lost the master cylinder in the shutdown area after a low 11 second pass. I think he ran B/Stock, or C/Stock, can't remember. Anyway, he crashed the car. It bent up the front bumper, pass. fender, and hood. He got all new GM parts and put it in an enclosed trailer for YEARS! That was until some collector somehow found him and talked him out of it for somewhere around $35K.

He kicks himself in the ass all the time for selling those cars.

sms
05-20-2003, 07:10 AM
Raceman,

LOVE the camaro. Everyone today knows hubcaps means LOOK-OUT, but in high school in the late 70's I ran one like yours and had too much fun.

Raceman
05-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Half, all I can say is................... bring it on, bring it on. How 'bout say 40 on for a half mile????

heath brinkley
05-21-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm with Pounder, although I like your car, it looks like a factory BB Bad Ass. Make sure you get some money out of the deal Raceman, cause the only thing that tastes like chicken to a GN is a MUSTANG. :D :D

I love those Novas too. I'd like to find a 68-72 in good shape. BB+ rallye wheels+ factory stance=Cool muscle car.:cool:

mardyn
05-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Racedude... Very cool Camaro... but sadly, I must agree with others... the C/I hood with the dog dish hub caps virtually screams "Beware!!" ... Too Cool though... you probably ought to turn it over to me for safe keeping....

btw... I'm driving my '69 Shelby GT 350 on the final leg (Shreveport to Ft. Worth) of Hot Rod
Magazine's Power Tour next month... is anybody else around here going on the trek?

David Berry

Raceman
05-21-2003, 11:25 AM
David, I've always wanted to do the Power Tour also, but have never gotten around to it. A guy here did it several years ago in the worst lookin' old early 50's Pontiac you ever saw. It was splattered in primer and had a blanket for a front seat cover, but was lowered and front halfed with a camaro subframe and a smallblock Chevy. He had a great time, but for some reason I never saw his car pictured in the Magazine coverage.

I usually don't admit this, cause it's almost as bad as ownin' an OMC, but I've got a Shelby too. It ain't the Shelby thing that's embarrasin', but the Ford name that goes with it. Fortunately it doesn't say Ford on the outside anywhere, so I consider it just a Shelby. Mine's a 67 500 and much as it pains me to say it, it's the most driveable of all my old stuff. It actually runs on pump gas which makes it unique to me. If I ever got around to doin' the Tour, it'd probably have to be in that car because it's geared pretty tall too............ 3 twenty somethin' or other if I recall, but could even be 3 - 0's.

Anyhow, why don't you post a picture of it in this forum. Greg wants to get "Other Motorsports" growin' some, so I'm gonna be posting some more of my stuff here too. (If HP ever figures out why my new scanner locks the damn computer up)

Oh yeah David, on more thing. The new 13 Ally is due here tomorrow, so looks like there's finally a home for the 650XS I got from David Weaver.

LaserModVee
05-21-2003, 02:55 PM
First off, good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Some good friends of mine drove on the first Power Tour from L.A. to Detroit. They took a 66 Chevy II, (see pic below), spinning a 3.73 gear and 25" tall tires. That poor 355 saw 3800 rpms throughout the entire trip. Funny thing is, they had to drive from Columbus, Ohio to California just to join the road trip.
They replaced the axle bearings at a Motel 6 in Arizona on the way out.
They made two passes, one with a 75 shot of nitrous, in Colorado at Mile High.
Their tactic was to leave early each day, watch the group pass them, and show up late. They had no choice with the gear the car was turning.
I met up with them in St. Louis and joined from there to Indy. I had to work so I didn't get to finish it out with them.

I was fortunate enough to live in one of their stopping points last year, (Columbus, Ohio), and made it out to meet some people and look at some cool rides.

Raceman-Take a vacation from the projects to enjoy a week or so of sight-seeing and story-telling. You'll come back with a few too!

Raceman
05-21-2003, 03:10 PM
I really like the 66 & 67 Novas. I can't understand why they didn't hang a 3.08 gear for a trip like that though. The difference in fuel cost would've likely offset the cost. I'm sticking a T56 in my 55 Chevy project and it's .5 overdrive in high gear, so a 4.10 becomes a 2.05.

mardyn
05-21-2003, 04:07 PM
I tried to drive a SS Camaro with a 4:10 gear for a daily driver when I was in college... (circa 77thru 80) man, the poor fuel milage and high rpms on the highway was just too much... got rid of it and went to a new Malibu Classic w/305, turbo 350 and a 2:73 to 1... and AIR CONDITIONING Oh yea.. I was in heaven...

Anyway, my Shelby has a T5 Borg Warner 5 speed and a 3:00 to 1 rear gear... about 2000 rpm is 75 mph... just about perfect for cruisin' on the highway. In fact, my plans are to drive it to the T-Rex show over in LA this weekend... kinda a warm up for the power tour.

I've got some friends that have done power tour in the past and all have really had a great time...

Norris, Dave Weaver is supposed to be going with me, but I think he's tryin' to puss out... maybe an e-mail from you would help convince him...

Mardyn

Raceman
05-21-2003, 09:45 PM
That's why I like the overdrive ratios in the T56. It's .74 overdrive in 5th and .5 in 6th gear. I may even put a 456 under the car instead of the 4.10 because I'm afraid a final gear ratio of 2.05:1 will be too tall unless it ends up with awful short tires. My Viper has the same trans ratio and I think a 3.45 rear (or something close) and with tires under 26" tall it's way down in the teens (RPM's) at 70 MPH, so it doesn't work well in high gear except at interstate speeds of 75 or more.

I'll try and shoot David W a shameful e mail if I can find his address in my E files.

mardyn
05-22-2003, 09:47 AM
dweaver17@msn.com

sms
05-22-2003, 01:26 PM
How about a 59 Vette. Whitewalls and all with a built smallblock.
Dad and I started this father/son project in 1974. His theory was if I spent all my time in the garage I'd be easy to find, plus I'd be too broke to get in any trouble. Looking back at the times we spent together on this car, I wouldn't trade them for the world.
Now I'm all nostalgic feeling so I'll probably get it out this weekend. Dads, think about what you do with your kids NOW! The time is priceless.

Barefoot Bob
05-22-2003, 03:46 PM
You both did a great job

heath brinkley
05-22-2003, 03:57 PM
couldn't agree more sms, time spent with Dad in the garage, or blasting down backroads or spinning donuts in parking lots, going to car shows, dustin' off street racers, ect. will always be remembered fondly. My kids getting to that age now, where he wants to come out in the garage with me and ask questions. It's great. Got a 14' GW Invader for him we'll probably start on in a couple of years. Like you said, Dad always knew where he could find me, and if he couldn't, he knew I was at somebody else's garage messin' with something. It always kept me from being a troublemaker.

LaserModVee
05-22-2003, 04:30 PM
sms, heath brinkley...

Agreed whole-heartedly when it comes to time with Dad.

He bought me my first car, (pic below), when I was 15 for $1400. I am 28 now and still have it. It was our project and still is. It's been through three or four motors and trannys, two different roll cages, two rear ends, three front suspensions, etc......and still needs painted!
Even though we have different ways of doing things and sometimes disagree on who's doing what right, I don't think either one of us would trade all that time and the time ahead of us for anything.

He drag raced before I was born and quit when I was like 8 years old to buy a boat. (Go figure?!?)

Getting me into drag racing was the logical step, I think.

I'm waiting for raceman to tell me to go take a different pic of my car!

heath brinkley
05-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Laser, you and your Dad disagree on the way things get done sometimes. I see they get done your way though.;) funny how different generations view the way a car should be.:D At least they're real Hot Rods though.:cool: I worry about the new generation with their imports.:rolleyes: If my son gets into those I'll cry a river of tears.:eek:

heath brinkley
05-22-2003, 04:58 PM
So far he shows no signs of it though.:)

eautosales
05-22-2003, 07:19 PM
this was a sleeper unti i added the tunnel ram:D

eautosales
05-22-2003, 07:20 PM
damm i thought i had the picture attached ill try again
its gonna be of a 70 monaco woody wagon

heath brinkley
05-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Damn, I'da liked to seen that.

eautosales
05-22-2003, 09:34 PM

ShorePounder
05-22-2003, 09:58 PM
The beeyotch about GM cars is unless you've swapped rear ends to the obligatory 9" Ford, gear changes suck. The nice thing about the 8' &9" Ford and the 8 3/4 Mopar is the front loading center section that can be swapped in a matter of minutes. Jus cain't do it with a 10 or a 12 bolt (also known in the Auto Trader as a 12-Volt possi :D)

It sure would be nice to be able to sport around town on a set of 3.90 or 4.10's then head for the Power tour or one of the other muscle car pilgrimages with a freshly swapped set of 3.23's or the gas pump friendly 2.73's. The only other alternative is a Gear Vendors OD unit but unless you've got Raceman's wallet (if you do call me ;) ) that one's a little spendy.

i'd really like a Dana 60 for my Charger, I'd also relly like to save some bucks and beef up the 9 1/4 that's under it now. But if I want to widen my driveablility range, I'm gonna have to find an 8 3/4. I can't remember if I've done it already or not, i'll have to post some pictures of the '71 Charger I'm working on (read: it sits in the garage and doubles as a shelf for Merc parts :D)

eautosales
05-22-2003, 10:25 PM
2 not to many 600+ horse station wagons on the streets of ny
i guess since not many cars cruise any more ill terrorize some of those youngsters in the lowered hondas & neons:p

eautosales
05-22-2003, 10:47 PM

eautosales
05-22-2003, 10:58 PM
i took the car in as a trade in due to it having a 440
we were going to demo derby the car but its to much fun:D
the looks ya get in this grocery getter are un real
the motor was built 2 years ago & was meant for an a body
but no good dusters in ny so we used what we had

i guess the dare to be different look is in right now ill post more pics after it gets the face lift
get this two tone with ghost flames:cool:
& relocation of the rear springs so big meats will fit.
there is a ton of wheel well in this beast.

its not my dream machine but its fun

factory 323 posi & hi po 440 i think it decoded as 325 horse
but that motor is now on the stand ready for doctor evil :D

heath brinkley
05-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Lose the tunnel ram and beat up on the honda kids, that'll crush their hopes and dreams. Of course that would be mean to the innocent fathers and crush their wallets when Jr. comes home crying about a new car.:D

Pounder, funny you should mention 12 volt possies. I was talking to my brother Tuesday about how...It seems like whoever types for Auto Trader would know the correct terms and spelling even if the owners don't.:rolleyes: :D I loooovvve my Chevy's, but I do put a $@#* rear end in each of 'em, just for that reason. Not to mention there cheaper to get and cheper to build.:) BTW, I thought I was the only board member who could afford a car for a parts shelf.:eek: OK, for all you Mopar fans, and I do like Mopars, just don't have one. I just picked up a early Chrysler HEMI:D for my next project.

mardyn
05-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Cool wagon there eauto... looks like it might have escaped from the set of the new MadMax movie... love the BB Mopars... torque monsters they are...

Ya know... there's probably a whole 'nother thread that could be started about the Auto (& Boat) Trader ads ... can that many people be that stupid? "It's got a 454 Hemi with a turbo charged GM torque-flite and a 12 volt Possi... fastest car in town!"

mardyn

sms
05-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Wagon!
I agree with Heath, take off the tunnel ram (and hide the autometer tach) and go full stealth. One of my favorite sleepers was a little nova like the one I have on project cars thread. It looked bone stock except for ralleys and red lines, had a mild 350, no headers, quadrajet, column shift, 6 cyl emblems. You couldn't even hear it run. I forgot to mention the nitrous system. It ran 13.10/ 104 and got 18 mpg.

eautosales
05-23-2003, 12:22 PM
they would here me coming headers straight pipe
then 2 cherry bombs & down spouts
talk about loud:D
but with a single 4 i would have tons of low end
the car was built last week
now this week its the vector :cool:

AnthonySS
05-23-2003, 12:49 PM
My buddy CT...just sent me pics of this.

AnthonySS
05-23-2003, 12:50 PM
HEY...something wrong with this picture:rolleyes:

AnthonySS
05-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Hmm...5.7, rear wheel drive.....OK...Now I get it:D

ShorePounder
05-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Cool cav. Its funny that the had to tub the front wheel wells to make a FWD into a CWD (that's correct wheel drive :D)