PDA

View Full Version : ODBA Super Stock motor

mike andreola
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
OK guys, I've heard from a reliable sourse that the two fastest boats in Modified Production were two Super Stock motors, Randy MaCormick & Mike Watts......Randy the first round, & heard Mike Watts was dominant the second round untill he ran out of gas.........

mardyn
04-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Randy dominated first round in Modified, Mike showed the way in 2nd round Modified... Todd McCormick drove the McQ-master in S/S but handling problems kept him out of the money...

Randy showed how it was supposed to be done....

DAB

mike andreola
04-30-2003, 03:10 PM
thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was told.....

mardyn
04-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Mike... those were NOT Super Stock engines.... they were Merc Drag engines that were intended for use in Modified Production Classes and above... ODBA (and I sat there and let it happen, so I'm to blame also) allowed those engines in S/S to appease the Mercury boyz...it was a BIG mistake. We're trying to correct it slowly, but have you seen how much flack we're taking?

Our Super Stock class has evolved into something that was never intended....

We'll get it straightened out, but it may take a few seasons...

btw... Congrats to Mike Watts, Randy Mc, and Darrin Baxter on outstanding jobs in the prospective classes... Wish CJ had been there to get in the mix too...those ODBA boyz ROCK!

David Berry

Jay Smith
04-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Mike ,

I can't speak for Randy but Watts' motor was a legal Super Stock motor minus heads and a JSRE flywheel , I know cause I built it ! I am not about to get tangled up in the politics of the ODBA and thier multi changing rules BUT as of last year Mike 's motor was legal for S.S. and it hasn't been touched ( except for the heads and flywheel ) what was and is the intention of the class called Super Stock has reduced the class from a normal 12 to 14 boat class to 4 ......

Nuff said !

C.J.Davis
04-30-2003, 04:02 PM
My ol'DR20 is running pretty good we'll see how it shakes out in
Wetumka. Missed the show last weekend I've been having terrble withdrawals.

mardyn
04-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Our mistake was ever allowing an engine intended for Mod Pro into a stock engine class.... that's what reduced the participation... most S/S racers can't compete with the likes of Watts/CJ/Kleckler/Freeman/Platt or Darrin Baxter... they're too tough & talented for the average boat racer to run against...give 'em a Drag engine and those guys are virtually unbeatable... Now who in their right mind is gonna try and compete against those odds.... but hey, we have that same problem in every class we have. ODBA racers are the cream of the crop when it comes to outboard drag... and NOBODY does better than ODBA... period.

David Berry

Ted March
04-30-2003, 06:17 PM
David,

You are one hell of a man. But, that post is weak. The best are the best are wherever they are and whomever they are. If everyone thought like this or actually believed this, no one would compete. The furture of our sport is new blood. The young guns are the potentials. Without them our sport cannot survive, and we need them. The old pros, and they are, will eventually ride off into the sun. And to think that someone cannot come along and get around them at some point is fantasy. Your earlier post about ODBA getting it right eventually is probably correct, but at who's expense in 2003?

Sincerely,
Ted March

Jay Smith
04-30-2003, 07:00 PM
GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR !

Ted March
04-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Jay,

Hate cigars.

This deal is tough. What a shame.

W. Tripp
04-30-2003, 08:28 PM
I was not involved in the decision to allow the Drag engine into Superstock. But looking at it with hindsight, I do not see a better choice. The 260 cannot be purchased as a complete engine - cowl to gearcase. The 280 cannot compete with the 260 with the stock rpm limited ignition and the "X" engines are out of the question as drag racing engines. The Drag engine seems like the best choice I can see. We are forced to make the rules around the engines that our members own, and what the manufacturers are offering the consumer.

But all of this is irrelevent....the Drag engine is in the class. Now what must be done is to set the rules to allow FAIR competition. After seeing the times run by the Baxter Racing Team last weekend, I am convinced that the most recent rules are heading in that direction.

If the ODBA is heading in a direction that you think is a bad move..... Pay your membership fee and voice your opinion to one of the members of the rules committee or the board of directors. I will ALWAYS be willing to listen - but not on a public forum. My e-mail and phone number are on the ODBA web site.

I joined the ODBA as a racing member in 2001 because I could not find this quality of racing, or of membership, anywhere else. This season, I find myself one of the VP's and in the process of growing a sport I love from a hobby to a spectator sport. The ONLY way this can happen is with well thought out input from its members and its spectators.

I WANT your 2 cents - you might get a dime in return.

Raceman
04-30-2003, 08:46 PM
"Pay your membership fee and voice your opinion to one of the members of the rules committee or the board of directors. I will ALWAYS be willing to listen - but not on a public forum."

So does this mean that spectators who should and could be the backbone of the sport if it's to grow don't have the right to an opinion? If this sport is to grow, or even continue for that matter, the opinions of people who watch must certainly have some value to somebody. Otherwise, it just becomes a pay and play game with no real upside potential.

I don't disagree with what you posted above about the SS rules, based on the availability of engines by the manufacturer. Also, in reality I don't have the knowledge of the specifics of the potential of the two engines to have a strong opinion. I have had in the past, and still do for that matter, some strong opinions on the rules in the Pro120, or whatever it's called now. I think that sometimes, people on the outside looking in, might have a less biased opinion than those that are participating and already have thier equipment lined up and/or payed for.

W. Tripp
04-30-2003, 09:05 PM
I stand by what I said.

I will listen to our members and our spectators - that is one of the duties I took on this year - instead of just racing. A public forum such as this one (a great one by the way Greg), is not the place to take all of the ranting and raving that we all know can happen - I wont lay this on the lap of those who maintain this board.

If someone - such as yourself- has something to say that could influence the ODBA - for good or bad - LET US KNOW! My biggest complaint with our organization is that there has not been a place for the spectator to give input. For this year, the buck stops here.

As for paying your membership - DEFINATELY - we race for gas money. Each person that joins the ODBA is money we have towards a better show. Maybe even towards the timing system that we really need.

W. Tripp
04-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Raceman,

Instead of becoming a member, I would rather see someone like you (with your experience) help us to put on a race in your area of Ga. I am trying to put together the 2004 schedule by the time we race in Plymouth, NC. Help us bring the ODBA to your home.

come on..... I dare ya!

Raceman
04-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Actually Wayne, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time and I think the facility here would be exceptional. There's a county owned lake/recreation area with approx 2500 acres of lake. Within site of the best area for a race area are two parks with about 8 or 10 boat ramps each and paved parking, camping, etc. It's similar to Jasper with much more paving and several times the size. There's also an excellent resturant on the water with motels within 3 or 4 miles. It's within 2 or 3 miles of the interstate also.

As a boat racer in the 70's I, along with a couple of friends talked to the county commission about a boat race. We got a cold shoulder. Times have changed and the members at the time are long gone. There was some preliminary interest last year in doing a race with the guy who has a reputation of stiffing the racers and race site. (I can't recall his name) The director of the park had already tentatively approved the event and a few local sponsors had been lined up. This individual was representing himself to the powers that be here of putting on an AOF sanctioned event, but he got the whistle blown on him and when a call was arranged to the director of AOF, the director became convinced that he was being mislead (which he was) and the event fell apart.

Because of access, proximity and facility, I think there could be an unbelievable event here. The PWC racing association had a tour type event at the same facility for several years, but their deal required a larger number of spectators than they were able to support. In that ODBA events don't seem to require huge spectator turnout (at least it seems that way to me looking on the surface) I think this area would support it, even though the high perf boating population is somewhat limited. There's even a local boat club (low performance) who has many volunteers who do usher type work at local events at the civic center to raise money for the club. The club is generally paid minimum wage for the volunteers time and many are experienced in this type activity.

I think there are possibilities here and can put some people in touch with the park director and would participate myself also if needed, although it seems like the ODBA is a pretty well run, self contained package as far as organization is concerned.

So let's talk about it further'.

CUDA
04-30-2003, 10:43 PM
Sounds like a plan. Raceman putting his talents to work for the good of the sport. Make it HAPPEN

red hott
04-30-2003, 11:44 PM
is any thing but.. with the way the rules are written. it should be called super mod or barely stock this is any thing but super stock
reading the rules for this class is like doing oragami. it should be real simple any hull and EVERYONE! gets a stock out of the box 280 merc set the weight and let the driver and set up do the rest. that would be a true super stock class and it should be conducive to THE MERC BOYS. JUST ONE QUESTION FROM EARLIER
WHO IS THIS DRIVEN TOWARDS THE CONSUMER (RACER) OR MERCURY. THERE PRODUCTS ARE BEING SOLD AND THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO MAKE THEM HAPPY.
EEENNUUUFF!!!
TRAY

Rusrog
05-01-2003, 12:49 AM
As far as the Drag Engine being legalized for SS competition...There are 2 sides to that coin... When Mercury was writing checks they wanted their engine (the Drag) to be legal in SS because it showcased their product. They wrote big checks so they got to have some say in the matter. In hindsight...no...the Drag should not be a legal motor in SS but since the demise of the 260 what else are you gonna run???? 280's with 260 electronics?? 225 Pro-Maxes with light weight?? In a perfect world Mercury would still be building a 260 and the Drag would not be allowed in SS. The class would be STOCK 260's and there would be no debate as to who's light flywheels could be run because light flywheels are not STOCK . SS would be props, set-up and hulls like it was intended to be. But the world ain't perfect...and it never will be. The Drag is in SS and 260's are getting harder to find and frankly..if you want to see the best show in O\B Boat racing....ODBA is the only way to go. Is it perfect???HELL NO ....but it's worlds better than any other show out there. The competition is feirce..... the rules are fairly stable and the people running the show have good intent. Let me tell you.... I have seen this organization up close... I spent all last weekend volunteering at the race at Mt Pleasant. I saw a bunch of guys & girls working their asses off trying to put together a quality boat race...
I saw a rules comittee get presented with a potential problem, they called a meeting of the rules committee, discussed the intent of a given rule and made a ruling all with-in an hours time.
I saw fuel being tested for consistency long after the last racer was gone.
I saw a high class driver get DQ'ed over a 1 pound weight infraction. Rules are rules and the driver was a picture of class.
I saw a fair and impartial starting system for ODBA send many fast boats down the quarter mile time & time again.
Folks let me tell you something.... ODBA is not an easy place to win.... It is an easy place to race. They have worked the rules in the new Sport Racer class to the point that a Chevy Truck is legal if it will make weight... If you want to win a boat race and have it mean something...race ODBA... If you can beat these guys you can go toe to toe with just about any O\B in country.
If you don't like the rules or the way something is done...they have put in place channels to get your voice heard.
I have not yet been to Jasper but we have all seen the pictures.
Has anybody seen an event like that before ODBA??? I didn't think so. ODBA is headed the right direction... they are working out the kinks.... the effort is there....the ideas and intent are there....
It's funny to me... People bag on ODBA for this reason or that reason... rules changes or accusations of a 'Good ole Boy' network or whatever...but look at NASCAR...how many times has NASCAR changed the rules on Sunday Morning??? How many times have they impounded parts for no real reason??? How many times have they looked the other way when an Earnhardt was involved??? Look at their management structure and how many people in power have the last name 'France'? NASCAR is a highly paid group of people with unlimited sponsorship money. ODBA is a small group of volunteers with almost NO budget. All of these things and NASCAR is still sucessful. ODBA is far & away the best we have.... and frankly...it's pretty damn good.

I apologize for the long post but I have said my peace.

Russ Rogers
Ft Worth TX.

BTW... Wayne Tripp, David Gray, Galen , David Berry, Taco, Jenn Stovall, Sherri Blocker, Ro , Charlie .... My hat is off to you folks. I am doing my damnedest to make it to Wetumpka.

Casey
05-01-2003, 06:55 AM
i say make it a 280 and 260 (till there all gone) class. sense the 260 is faster give the 280 a weight break to make them even. stock means stock, no nothing, period! if it did not come with a warranty from the factory, then it can't be raced. leave the drag motors for modified production, pro gas and pro fuel.

G-Train
05-01-2003, 07:49 AM
I agree with you, mostly.

One thing that always seems left out though, is it seems when talking about SS class, it is always the Merc motors being discussed. What about the other Mfgr's?

Maybe the Stock class needs to evolve from SUPER Stock, to Stock, meaning warantee motors, with no mods, as purchased from a dealer.

There isn't a class now for a Stock "Fishin Motor" to compete in. Lake Racer has turned into mostly highly modified motors. Guys with stock 200's (Merc's, OMC's, etc) could make a class that would truly put a premium on setup.

There are a lot of details to changing anything, but it may be time to look at the future, as the 260's are becoming more rare, then someday, you've got the Drag motor running "detuned" in a class it wasn't even meant for, just to have a class called "SS".

I have a Merc, and probably always will, but I sure ain't gonna Kiss their feet, which by reading some of this thread, leads one to believe that these classes were evolved to make the Merc Powers happy. Well, they don't support the ODBA anymore, do they? Heck with them. No need to have rules around, just to keep Merc happy.

I really enjoy the ODBA events I am able to attend, and am impressed with the individuals who run it... Just putting some of my scattered thoughts out here.

Thanks

Greg

Casey
05-01-2003, 08:34 AM
your right the omc's and yamaha's should also fit in, just like they do now. the only problem is they do not make a high performance motor. maybe someday they will, but until them it will be a merc only class. i don't know what to say about the 2.5 fishing motors, other then i have never seen one at a race, so why even worry about them. who would want to race a stock 200 anyway?

and yes super stock should mean no mods at all, period, zippo! and use weight to make the class fair.

mardyn
05-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Ted, you're probably right about my previous post... I tend to get carried away quickly regarding these topics and I'll apologize if I've offended anyone....

but I stand by what I said... the guys that drag race outboards, in a class based structure, are a notch or two above the average
dude on the lake or river running some kinda' of hotrod OB...

I think I'm qualified to speak about that because I used to be one of those dudes...

My history as a racer and official with ODBA has given me a very good view of this sport and the participants... There is absolutely no doubt, that when you show up at one of our races, you'll compete against the best out there... and it won't be easy to win,
but when (and if) you do win, you will have done it against some very good and tough competition.

btw... I'm not sayin' these guys are totally unbeatable. I'm just sayin' it ain't gonna be easy...

That also leads to one of our other issues... our most basic class, where almost any rig will fit, is far above entry level... we've tried several times to run entry level stuff... but those guys will not show up... I don't undrerstand why... but they won't show... I guess nobody wants to get their clock cleaned in front of a crowd of friends and family...

Oopps... gotta' run, the Super Stock genie is tryin' to get out of the bottle again... just when we almost had him stuffed back in....

Later dudes,
David Berry

red hott
05-01-2003, 10:50 AM
i agree with you both stock out of the box setups but the rules for this race are like reading a slide rule if you run a 260 you can
beef it up but if you run a drag you get penalized (detuned) that really is fair to give to one and take from the other may be if they give the 260 the fly wheel and heads they could give the drag at least the fly wheel. but that still isnt superstock. now RUS i didnt know about merc paying any money. do they still do this? i dont know how much they are supporting any more besides i havent seen there BIG BLACK TRUCK AT THE TEXAS RACE IN 2 YEARS SO THAT WOULD TELL YOU THAT THERE FALLING BACK as i see it? racers pay odba to race odba rules not mercs rules. if merc wants to pay the money they can have it there way.

Raceman
05-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Merc did pay the ODBA several years back, but with it came the requirement of APBA membership for participants and I believe other fees to APBA as well. When ODBA decided against the APBA requirement Merc picked up their wallet and went home. I think there were probably other requirements that didn't gel also, but don't know for sure.

Rusrog
05-01-2003, 12:45 PM
A couple of years ago when ODBA was afflilated with APBA Mercury was throwing some money at the deal and they got some leeway on the rules as far as the Drag being allowed in SS.
The problem is now...how do you tell guys that have invested in Drag engines...."Your motor is no longer legal and the motor that is legal....well...it's not produced anymore. Hit the Boat Trader and see what you can find...."
The ODBA has a tough task ahead of them with this whole SS issue. There is no easy answer. Do you go back to racing Pro-Maxes and ProV 200 Yamaha's and 225 OMC's??? Even before the Drag came into play the other manufacturers could not run with the 260's. So what do you do.... You could make it a class where a spec fuel is used.... Limit it to 93 octane...but then you have to do more fuel tech and that takes more time, volunteers and a fuel supplier. One idea I have had is to make a Super Gas Class with a few different engine combinations legal. You could run a Mod Production motor @ X#'s, a Stock Drag Motor @ Y #'s, a 280 w\260 electronics @ Z#'s. Or a Yamaha ProV with bolt-on's @ whatever it takes to get them in the ball park of a win.
I don't know what it will take.... I'm just spit-balling here but there is a solution somewhere...

Russ Rogers
Ft Worth TX

BTW...Trey..good to meet you last weekend. Give me a call and we'll go grab a beer or something. Later...
817-551-7054

Raceman
05-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Rus, it seems like a fine line the rules committee has to walk between making bigger classes fair to all entrants, or having too many classes that are dead on for specific combos, with smaller numbers of entries. I'm glad I can sit and watch without havin' to worry about it.

red hott
05-01-2003, 02:22 PM
good to meet you to i enjoied the start barge with you and the houston floks casey trae and kenny are fine by me we all need to have a KICK ASS TEXAS WEEKEND SOME TIME i will call ya but it will be the 3rd week of the month my plate is full with getting maried and work. OH yeah, dont ya think galen would make a great commentator rather than preacher. thad man is some kinda funny
later
trAy

Casey
05-01-2003, 02:34 PM
it ain't texas, but it's close enough. ya'll need to show up! most of us from houston will be there.

http://www.byuboyz.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=5

Jay2002
05-01-2003, 07:59 PM
I run one of them on my lake racer, It's a 200 and if you don't beleive me, just read the cowling next time your back there! HE HE HE! It's right there in Black and White! See Ya at Wetumpka, Jay Smith.

PS Team AED will be in full force that weekend, at least three classes worth!!!

Rusrog
05-01-2003, 10:58 PM
People want to be successful at whatever they are doing and that includes racing. If you have a class where the rules are fairly broad, the best funded teams will always win. What is the old saying??? "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"
Broad rules let a bunch of people run but if they feel they have no chance of winning they will not even try. The flip side is you cannot have a boat race with 27 classes consisting of 3 boats each. Sure... everybody gets a trophy but what does that trophy really mean??? ODBA needs new blood. That's a given. Without new drivers they are doomed. But new drivers are not going to step into a class where they are going to be un-mercifully whipped by somebody with a $50k engine budget. SS rules can be made to entice the accomplished lake racer to get in the ring but it is not going to be very easy. A new racer has to be able to get close enough to be competitive. If you show up and enter and get half-tracked by some guy with a bigger budget you are not going to want to come back. On the other hand if you get beat by a boat length or two... the fever will get you...
Throw some ideas out here.... What would it take to get some sort of parity between engine manufacturers??? What would it take to get you into a SS boat if you had the urge???

Russ Rogers

Capt.Insane-o
05-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Think you just hit it up side the head with the 225 as a superstock class. Affordable:rolleyes: plentiful motors, at a reasonable weight. Maybe cut heads a little, lighter flywheel, no rev limit. Everyone makes a 225. It does'nt cost as much to hop one up little bit. Put the other stuff in lake racer or MP. A combo that is in easy reach will draw more people. I tell you what it would be reall cool to see all brands of motors out running instead of 1 or 2 on Streams, allisons,stv's, mirages, rapidcrafts. Maybe include the 260's and 280's stock with slightly higher weights. 93 octane would be a great thing. Not everyone can afford to test using race gas all the time. The attention span is kind of short these days, if it does'nt work right away ego's get riled up. It sucks for the average guy to get half tracked by someone who rolled in with a rig full of boats and motors, but if the average guy can run with best, then look out. That gets people interested in the sport, which draws more fans,sponsors, tv maybe, etc. A yankees cent and a half.

BarryStrawn
05-02-2003, 09:20 AM
The rulebook says a Laser ProMax as well as the OMC and Yamaha carb engines with a few bolt on mods are allowed in Super Stock at 1350lbs. Seems very unlikely to be competitive with the 260 at 1400lbs or a 300 Drag at 1450lbs.

One rational I've heard against stock engine classes is the folks who want to run them quickly get tired of taking their powerheads home in a box. The cheating would be massive without teardowns and I doubt they would stop at pulling the heads. Even a guy that isn't cheating might just tell the inspectors to bug off and go home rather than tear apart his new engine. Then I suppose he would be excluded and lost to the sport.

Sealed engines work in other types of racing but they generally have a single vendor to build, test and seal the powerheads. That might work for a spec class if enough folks wanted to run that way.

C.J.Davis
05-02-2003, 09:28 AM
I've taken my motor home from several ODBA races in a box. I never complained about it due to the fact when you win and the tech guy looks at everything you've got people want call you a cheater. You know when your winning everybody says your cheating.

Capt.Insane-o
05-02-2003, 09:35 AM
don't need to be racing anyway. i don't think it would take too long to weed them out. Whiners go home and the next guy down the line gets the trophy or whatever it is.

W. Tripp
05-02-2003, 09:37 AM
This is the most intellegent discussion on this subject I have seen yet....I am taking notes. But let me add a couple of notes for you all to work with.

Fuel - Pump gas cannot be used (as much as I would like it to be). The reason is that all manufacturers are mandated to add oxygenates (ethanol, MTBE, etc.) to their fuel sold at the pump. Some regions of the country require more than others. These additives test "positive" with some of the test procedures we use, and can mask the addition of power enhancing additives such as Propylene Oxide and the dreaded Dioxane.

A "spec" 91-93 octane fuel can be purchased from some manufacturers and brought to the races, but the cost to do this is prohibitive. We need to be able to keep Fuel fair and honest, at the present time, this must require ALL classes running the same fuel and oil.

We are testing fuel with the latest tests and technology available. In fact our latest fuel test can tell if a racer is running a SLIGHTLY different oil ratio than the others in his class. Racing is never cheap, and one of the costs is fuel.

Race fuel is dropping in price as of recent days, and a 52 gal. drum of Sunoco is around $285 - $5.50 a gallon (WOW). Smaller amounts cost more. BUT, if racers need fuel to test with, contact me and I will arrange to get them fuel from our suppliers at a fair price. This includes selling them fuel from drums that I buy - at the price I buy it.

Keep this in mind, and keep up the discussion. As long as the talk remains non-hostile and as intellegent as it has been, I will continue to take notes on this "public forum" - despite my comments to the contrary.

Thanks for all the input.

C.J.Davis
05-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Thats why I like our tech with the ODBA it keeps everyone on a level playing field.

Capt.Insane-o
05-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Offering head,divider and reed plate gaskets at cost for racers after tech. that would be easy. be nice if the manufacturers would step up to the plate on that a bit. 5.50 a gallon wow, Up here I can get Sunoco 110 for 2.95. gas is the cheapest thing I put in my boat tho, so that is of really no consequence.

BarryStrawn
05-02-2003, 10:42 AM
When I posted about folks not wanting to take their powerheads home in a box, I was referring to guys or gals who would be interested in running stock, unmodified engines. As in beginners or who can't afford the upkeep on a high rpm engine. All I meant was that for better or worse, the teardown requirement will exclude some from being interested. A way to fairly avoid that might provide some growth for the sport.

C.J.Davis
05-02-2003, 10:46 AM
It may be good to have a class with stock say 225 kinda like
the super sport guys that run the circles?

Raceman
05-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Wayne, I responded to your comments about puttin' on a race in Georgia back on the first page of this thread, but didn't hear anything back from you on it. I don't have enough grasp of the requirments of an ODBA race to even make an initial contact with the park manager here. As I said, he was receptive to a race last year and there was a tenative schedule, but when he was made aware of the reputation of the guy that had been promoting races he pulled the plug. If you really do have an interest in exploring it I'll be glad to make the contact or put you guys in touch with each other.

us1ss
05-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Maybe a class utilizing the Mercury Opti-Promax 200- it is a reasonable weight, higher rev limit motor, than most green motors, that is out of the box- OPC is allowing it to compete in sst120 this year- maybe learn from their tech inspection on the motors?

I always thought maybe a simple run what you brung class, somewhat governed by weight, when you win once or twice you have to move into the class your boat fits in. Sort of a Novice class like in Moto-cross days. Everybody gets a win before they face the expert class. If you cheat your only getting moved up so the tech inspections could be kept to a minimum.

mardyn
05-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Entry level... very limited tech, spec fuel and oil as sold a the track,
Any boat, any engine, any combination, No nitrous...
Run the class until you win.... then move on to the next level...

ODBA Award Plaques for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes... $50.00 entry fee, no high points, prize fund split between top 3... may even let a few PWCs run to make things interesting... "Squirt boats on ODBA? Sure... a simple rules meeting and they're in..."

Also thought about an all Scream and Fly class in Jasper for fun...

Any thoughts?

DAB

G-Train
05-02-2003, 12:40 PM
I myself, see the teardowns as a deterrant. I do not cheat, but don't want to take my motor home in a box (if it were to ever happen). If I were to place, and the payout was $100 or so, I'd opt to have them NOT tear me down, they may think I'm hiding something, but it ain't worth it, for the money and time involved, in my opinion.

I am a part time racer (very part-time), and I can't afford to have my motor tore down, after every race I may happen to place in.

If the ODBA is looking to grow the sport, with more entry level guys like me, then the current constraints are too much, to draw a large numer of new racers.

I was going to go to the next race in Alabams, but I added up my expenses, and I would have over $600 in fees/fuel, before I hit the water, let alone the cost of travel/lodging. I would more than likely spend over $1200 to get my A$$ kicked in Mod, and Lake Racer, and if I did place, I'd have to be tore down, and have that to deal with when I got home. All that for a big payday, maybe in the hundred dollar range. You have to be doing this cause you love it, no other explanation, but even though I love it, I can't afford it anymore. I have to save all year for Jasper.

If the ODBA could get some MAJOR sponsorship, then maybe they could make the Membership Fees a nominal amount, and lower the class entry fee, and give a decent payout to the racers. If a guy has a small chance at recouping some of his $ (maybe a stipend for those who travel long distances), he may be more likely to race. This is directed at getting more racers involved, The Pro's will probably pay whatever the fee is, and attend most races, until they retire. But like has been posted here earlier, the ODBA needs the new guys to come into the sport, on a regular basis.

In my opinion, to put it simply, the ODBA needs to make it easier for new/part time racers to compete, to grow this sport. That may be financially, which is always a problem, but the answer to financial problems may be in Marketing, and Spectators. There is no reason this should not be a successful spectator sport, which would supply the needed funds to do many things, including raising purses, which would in turn draw more racers...Sounds simple, but I know it's hard to do, and they are trying hard now.

G

W. Tripp
05-02-2003, 01:51 PM
I understand your reservations about having to tear down your engine and the cost of having it put back together. But, I don't know of a better way to ensure fairness. The "formula" Idea has possibilities, but it raises the issue of only having a few certified engine builders put the engines together and wiring them closed.

The ODBA does not tear down the winners to the crankshaft for each class at EVERY race. They are torn down around 3 times a season without notice. Generally, the parts that are removed for the other races can be put back on by yourself easily.

I can promise that since the ODBA was formed, Lakeracer and Modified Production have always payed 1st-3rd places more than $100.

G-TRAIN - IF you are serious about racing at Wetumpka, AL - I will make you a one time offer. I will pay your 2003 membership fee and - IF YOU PLACE, AND you get torn down to the crankshaft - I will pay Daryl Lane of Boatworks or Jay Smith of JSRE to put it back together again. This offer is ONLY for you - to get another Northern "Speed Freek" to join us crazies at the next race. We need more of your type. It ain't much, but it will help.

e-mail me - trippw@bellsouth.net

C.J.Davis
05-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Wayne I'm coming to Wetumka and I might place? Just kidding!!!!!!!Can't what to get there I'm having D.T's.

G-Train
05-02-2003, 02:02 PM
You've got me scrambling now. I was VERY serious about Wetumpka, but ruled it out last week, and now you throw this at me... That is one hell of an offer, and I'm gonna see what I can do here in the next few days to try to make it happen.

Thanks Wayne.

Greg

Rob King
05-02-2003, 02:18 PM
G train I will attest pay out will be more than $100.
Jasper last year Pro 120 only 6 boats entered 3rd was more than a 100 bucks.

See Ya Rob

JTS Racing
05-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Maybe jus do away with the SS altogether and put more concentration into the new SportRacer? If mod's are going to be allowed just to make a class, then a couple more changes and run ProGas or ModProd. The SportRacer has a real good chance at being the best class for entry level with less expense and opportunity for any brand hull/eng setup.

Those that want to race will find a way and give it a try. Most will hit the closest event to home. The big challenge is keeping those coming back and making the pull to the next event. All the rule changing don't help either. A lot of first timers at Jasper last year. If someone spends the summer learning and setting up a ride, makes one of the last couple races, then the rules change in the winter, just might not go back the next year, or at the least will only run the event close to home.

Getting a little off subject, but ODBA is over classed. 4 Pro classes would be plenty. There are more than enough money guys to fill these. Others should be set to allow the newbies to learn, gain experience, get some wins and move up. ??????????

I missed MP due to the paying job, and Wetempka is out for other reasons. BUT, I'll get back someday.

Wayne.....You da man!!! G thars an offer you can't refuse.

Jeff

Casey
05-02-2003, 07:25 PM
you have really stepped up to the plate this year. guys like you are what this sport really needs.

G you better show up, thats an offer you can't refuse!

G-Train
05-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Who are you referring to?

Wayne/Kim, etc.

Do you know if they will be running all classes, both days, as in Mt. Pleasant? If I can attend, I may not get there until Saturday. What is expected boat count?

G

W. Tripp
05-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Trying to give a number to the boats racing in Wetumpka - at this point - is going to be difficult. But, many more of the regular racers will be there than in TX when we were competing against 3 other boat races and the racers had other personal commitments. Also, the AL races tend to have a good turnout of local guys that cannot make the entire season. I do not think we will have the AZ/CA group that weekend - too bad, they always bring up the fun level and set the competition a notch or two higher - a GREAT bunch of racers with a legendary crew chief.

After talking with many of the racers in TX, and with David Grey, the ODBA is going to try to run each day's schedule twice at as many races as possible this year. This will be decided by the number of entries each day prior to the drivers meeting. By starting the race at 11:00 am and running a bit later this should be possible. I hope we can pull this off - everyone I talked with at the end of each day had a BLAST - racer and spectator alike.

Shane and Jennifer Stovall, with the help of Kim Kleckler at Gene's Marine in AL, have worked very hard to put the Wetumpka event together and make it a success. The site is in a really nice city park with a covered pavilion and lots of shade. Spectators can watch from along almost the entire length of the course while sitting in grass under the shade of the hickory, oak and cedar trees Alabama is known for - all within sight of the oldest bridge of its type in this part of the country. Last year was the first time we had used this site, and the city is very excited about us returning. Shane and Jenny have taken a lot of time from their busy buisness and racing schedule to make this race a success - I guarantee it will be.

kim cleckler
05-03-2003, 09:55 PM
I hope you guys that didnt make TX will or can come to Wetumpka this should promise good race condtions and maybe bring out the guys that cant make some of the other races. Shane and his wife are working hard along with my crew to get the prize monies up. Right now we have the same amount of money that we had last yr. and i have spoken with Shane yesterday and he is trying to get in touch with other bussinesses to sell lanes and etc. to get more money. I would like to say thanks to these guys for all the hard work that it takes to make a race happen! As far as SS please dont take me as a threat i am going to be there with a 300 DRAG same as last yr. so even with the heads on the 260 i am ready for action. If I loose i will do something diifferent for Westlake but this is all FUN and FAST BOATS and most of all FRIENDS so let make this happen >>no need to bicth on here lets show up and support ODBA. its the best thing we have for our sport Kim

Ray
05-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Hey, what motor combiniton won ss? Thanks, rahracing

W. Tripp
05-05-2003, 08:52 AM
The Merc 260/ Allison combination of Darrin Baxter. In fact, the first 3 places were taken by the 260's. With more Superstock boats (with the Drag engines) coming to Wetumpka, we should see a great deal of competition there.