PDA

View Full Version : Triple Chrysler tunnel

Doubledog
01-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Was visiting the Hydrostream Registry and came across this ad and found it interesting. (thanks Mark):)

What happend to these engines? I remember being a youngun and Pops having a 25 that was fast on our little skiff. He still talks highly about it, besides the dirt dobbers that got into the exhaust and clogged it up one summer.

Would anyone lay claim to having one hid away somewheres and like to post a few photos?

Raceman
01-01-2003, 11:45 AM
There are a couple of members here who have those old Chrysler stackers, although I can't remember who off the top of my head. There's one, seems like in Fla., in a collection with an X115 Evinrod and a Mk75H. I think there's also one in Savannah. I never got the urge myself to find and restore one, but some people really like em now. I think there's a memory now of em being faster than they were...............one of those "the older I get the faster I wuz" things I recon, but the time or two I saw em run, they were back markers to the stock 1500 J and 1500XS Mercs.

Mark75H
01-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Dog, there are a lot of references to Chryslers already on this forum and nothing new (unless you find someone who wants to share about his prize). Open up your cookie to show you all the threads on O&RH or just do a search (the search feature is working well with the data available to it and most of the Chrysler threads and images are fairly recent and available to the search engine).

The Chrysler outboard division was sold to an investor group during one of Chrysler Corps many many bad times. It was renamed Force/US Marine. Eventually they were bought by Brunswick and turned into the Merc/Mariner fold as the budget priced line. As production tooling wore out std Merc parts were added to them until they were Merc/Force hybrids. Merc killed the whole thing when some of the critical parts went.

Little known fact: In 1959/60 Chrysler was negotiating to buy Mercury from Kiekhaefer. Instead they bought West Bend in 1965. In 1960 for one of the sales pitch meetings Charlie Strang had the total number of racing lower units added up: grand total as of mid 1960: 17,000+

Here's the parts breakdown on the 105/135 type racing lower unit

Greg Moss
01-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Chrysler had to sell all divisions that were not auto or defense to get the government loan garrantee's for Lee Iacoca. That is the reason the force came about. The sale of the marine division to US marine. Later like in 86 or 87 brunswick bought Us marine to get Bayliner boats. That was the year that Bayliners had OMC Cobra drives.
I have to friends that have stackers 1 in Austin Meatball Murry he has 2 of them on a boat and Allan Loop has one in his garage. Neither of them will let go of any of them.

Ron Hill
01-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Here is a Chrysler ad, July 1968, Powerboat...