PDA

View Full Version : Humber Jewel Or Sun Ray?

Northern Jewel
12-14-2002, 06:01 PM
:confused: I have just been informed that my boat is not a Humber Jewel it is a Sun Ray SPLASH. Could it be? I'm so confused.:confused:

Elmer
06-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Ya that is a Sun Ray Splash. I have a 66' Humber Jewel. Sun Ray used the humber hull but they made the front end to a point. A humber jewel has a flat nose on it.

HiLift
06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey Northern Jewel!
I've got the same boat but it's called a Surfmaster Sea Chief.
All tags have been removed and I'd like a little info if I may ask.
Rated H.P.?
How does she handle with the motor you have on it?
The boat is being rigged right now for my 12 yr. old son so we haven't had her in the water yet so any impressions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!

dragonwolfe
06-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey Hilift Northern Jewel is a friend of mine who doesn't post on here anymore. That boat was rigged with a 50hp in that picture, spinning a 13"prop at around 30mph. It was previously rigged with an 90hp inline 6 before my buddy bought it motorless. That would have been interesting. It is a stable craft,great starter boat.
Got any pics?
Jeff

largecar91
06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Jeff, Did you get the "Wet N Wild" in the water yet??Barry

HiLift
06-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the partial heads-up Dragon!!
I've a couple of pics but do not know how to post them - nongeek!!
Can I send them to you for you to post??
Any idea as to the speeds achieved with the 90?
My boat too had a 90 on 'er just before I picked it up, the ex owner was considered "nuts"!! My young lad will be restricted to 40hp until he's sixteen so this is what I've got to work with.

dragonwolfe
06-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Here's your pics Cam I had to resize them or you have to host them somewhere's else.
Hey Barry, No I haven't got her wet yet actually I'm still waiting on solid motor mounts. Luckily I've got other boats in the water. Did you get your MX-16 finished?
Jeff

HiLift
06-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Much appreciated dragonwolfe.
Anybody have ANY info on these boats??

OB-1
06-22-2006, 05:18 PM
During the 60's my Dad had a 1965 Humber Jewel. We ran two engines on it. A 1962 Merc 500 spinning a 15" 2-bld bronze prop with a top end of 45 mph. We also ran a 1961 Merc 800 but I can't remember the prop we ran but it topped out at 53 mph. The Jewel was only 12' in length but extremely wide and it could handle a 100HP 6-cyl inline. Cornering was a problem. We modified the turning strakes on the bottom to help it turn. At that time a friend of mine had an early model (1961) Jewel with a Mercury Mk 75. Not all that fast but it looked really cool. A great Canadian boat!

HiLift
06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info OB-1.
Sounds like this l'il boat is gonna be worthwhile fixin' right up.
It'll work good as a long term, never ending project for my son to keep his hands and mind busy through those "hormone" years.:eek:

I guess I should start saving for a Stinger for his sixteenth birthday!!:D

Bogman
06-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Keep your son busy through those years....thats gunna be a nice boat when he's past those years, I hear his Dad is STILL going through them:D

HiLift
06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Still can't get enough of that sound Dan!!!;)

miniwop
07-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I just sold that boat. It is a surfmaster. Made in the early 70's. Mine had a plate rating of 75 HP. Mine had an evinrude 65 HP short shaft. Rumour had it they were built out of a factory in richmond hill. With a 65 Hp and a 21 pitch cupped ski prop and hydro foil stabilizers, mine could quite literally stand straight up. I actually sold it 2 years ago and then bought it back then sold it again because it was getting to small for my family. STILL THE STUPIDEST thing I did. I've been looking for a surfmaster like it.

HiLift
07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
I MAY be interested in moving this boat/motor/trailer package.
It's a stalled project.
Please PM me.

miniwop
07-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Don't let her go. You will regret it. As a first boat for your son you will not find anything safer in that size. The hull is incredibly stable and turns on a dime. With a new 40 she will do app 30-35mph and with the flat or semi v pad hull and the 40 your son will be able to water ski with eaze and take friends in a short time taking you off the hook and you'll be watching on the dock with a beer in your hand. That alone makes it worth while. At our cottage, I love to drive the boats but I get stuck taking everyone skiing, tubing, wake boarding. After hours of driving everyone else is drunk and I end up playing catch up. It's nice to have a break. If you are selling....you said it was a project,
What state is it in
what did you do
what motor do you have and is it a shorty
does it have a tonneau
a ski bar