PDA

View Full Version : Guitars Guitars Guitars!

Scream And Fly
11-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Winter is coming (for us northern folks anyway), so lets see pictures of your guitars and amps - maybe even post some songs and tabs!

Greg

AnthonySS
11-11-2002, 12:46 PM
cool Idea...I got to get some fresh pics tho!!!

Boz
11-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Played w/ a few bands around Winnipeg here. For kicks, check out the Flesh Tone Rockets web site at www.fleshtonerockets.com. that's who I used to play with. They have tracks on that sight too. Anthony, I also used to play a little bit w/ the guys from Harlequin. As a fellow Canadian, you might know of them; their from Winnipeg but this was years ago.

AnthonySS
11-11-2002, 03:53 PM
YEP...Harlequin...

80's rock.."Innocence" who could ever forget that tune. That was an anthem for a lot of Canadian teens in the 80's!!

I was "Big Time" into Rush back then but appreciated some other Canadian Rockers like..

Triumph
Max..
Goddo
Saga
Toronto
Coney Hatch
Headpins
Rick Santers
Helix
Trooper
etc, etc.

It was actually a cool period for Canadian Rock Back then.

I didn't know Harlequin used Sax??

Me ...I was just in Garage Bands then!!

Boz
11-11-2002, 04:02 PM
They never had a sax in Harlequin but as they got older, in the late 80's and early 90's, they played as cover band believe it or not, in town here. They played as Harlequin for big functions etc. I played anything from Stones to Kravitz to INXS, etc. I was actually at a dinner on Saturday night and bumped into Glen Willows in the washroom! He plays in a w/ Winnipegs premiere jazz guy, Ron Paley. Glen wrote Innocense and Sweet Things In Life. I was hooked up with them by a friend of my brothers who used to work with Glens girlfriend at the time and there wasn't too many sax players in our club scene here. I was 20 at the time so it was pretty cool and intimidating! Don't play much anymore.
My old band's (Fleshtone Rockets) bass player who joined when I was winding down just came off tour w/ Jann Arden and our guitar player left to play w/ Mcmaster and James. Me; I got a day job:(

AnthonySS
11-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Sounds cool again BOZ..post some pics of your sax for us!!

Boz
11-11-2002, 04:19 PM
I'll do that............................how do i post a picture?? I never have done so before.:o

Talon2.5
11-15-2002, 12:11 PM
been listening to some old molly hatchet, pretty good guitar work i never noticed before :eek:

P man
11-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Heres my brand new progect!!!
Can you believe it was free??

Jay Smith
11-19-2002, 09:18 AM
Greg ,
As you well know we are guitar and amp POOR here. We have 5 and I'll see if Jayme won't post some pictures they are as follows:.

Guitars: Approx worth:
1. 1962 Vintage Gibson SG-Special $3000.00
2. 1998 Paul Reed Smith ( w/bird inlays) $2000.00
3. 1990 Fender Srat. $ 300.00
4. 1995 Taylor $1000.00
5. 1990 Ovation $ 250.00

Oh yea I forgot the amps:
1. Fender Bandit 1 -12" speaker ( amps? ) $ 250.00
2. Crate half stack 4-12" speakers (100 amps)$ 750.00
with lead guitar and effects head
3. Numerous effects pedals --------------------

TOTAL ESTIMATE ONLY $ 7550.00

Ya get alot of toys when you an only child at home !

KIDS, GOT IT ROUGH THESE DAYS !

AnthonySS
11-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Just Got back form a Men's Retreat up-north in Lake Country with my Christian Buds.

We put together an all male "Praise and Worship" team and man was it cool!!! It rocked and we had my guy vocals with awesome harmonies

Here was my little setup showing my Yammi 12 and '79 Strat

AnthonySS
11-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Got to work with a new bass player this weekend.

This is me and Paul with his Lado 4 string

AnthonySS
11-19-2002, 09:24 AM
Here is part of the Setup

AnthonySS
11-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Cool on the gear...

are you listing the prices...cause the stuff is for sale...

Or is that the values??

Them Taylors sure are sweet and that SG sounds cool too!!!

Good Taste in Guitars!!

Ilovespeed
11-19-2002, 04:34 PM
Hey guys
I Play the Bass(yamaha) and electric (samic, got it a couple years ago) ... i also play the sax (alto) ... and have quite a few years exerience on the violin..no pics as of right now but you guys have some sweet equiptment!!!
Tyler

P man
11-19-2002, 05:11 PM
heres the question
what acoustic gives you the best bang for the buck?
My vote would have to go towards any "Simon and Patrick" guitar.

pyro
11-20-2002, 03:31 PM
As far as acoustics:
WESTHEIMER CORP. is the parent company that makes CORT guitars. This American company owns the factories overseas that makes most of the popular brands of acoustics for the American brand names. The guitars are built to each company's specs.
Needless to say, their own guitars (Cort) are better for the money than most of the popular advertised brands we're used to seeing. There aren't a lot of Cort dealers around. They make guitars that sell between $150 and $650. Lifetime warranty.

As far as mid-price guitars: GARRISON hands-down!!!
www.garrisonguitars.com
They make guitars that sell from $429 to $2000, case included. Even their lowest models sound better than a low-end Martin or Taylor at three times the price. These are made in Canada. These sound better than anything along the lines of Tacoma, Seagull, A&L, etc. If you've never played one, go to the website and find a dealer in your area. drive 2 hours to go play one if you have to. You WILL drive back home with one. they ARE that good!!

Show us the guitars? OK! Take your pick. My dad owns the whole store, and I work here!! (Ann Arbor, MI) We are Cort and Garrison dealers, by the way.

-Chad
(w)- 734-662-1080

AnthonySS
11-20-2002, 03:44 PM
I have a feeling I am going to end up buying one of those Garrisons some day soon.

If they are as good as you claim...I would buy it in a minute...especially to show it off to my Taylor buds!!:)

Better buy 'em now before they get cheap and over-priced like many other Good' ole accoustic guitar brands.

Unfortunately they only have 1 dealer here in Ontario...they are about 1 hr away from my house.

Tell me what I should pay for the best sounding (not looking) 6 string with active electrics??? How much for the 12 string too???

THANKS CHAD...

BTW...sorry my pics were so big...I am working on it!!!

P man
11-20-2002, 11:16 PM
its funny you mention these, I was just looking at an Garrison add the other day and was very curiouse about their construction.
the bracing system seems pretty inovative
i think im going to go play one as there is a dealer here in Mississauga:)

pyro
11-22-2002, 09:38 AM
If you play one, you'll be hooked. Some of the early ones didn't have the greatest necks and playability, but the ones we're getting now are excellent. They like to use birch on the sides and backs of the most popular models, usually it has a wide flame/quilt-like figuring that is gorgeous! And, yes, if your Taylor buddies have anything under a Taylor model 810, then they will be jealous of you. By the way, my dad has the first Taylor 810E (E=factory pickup) to ever be built, it was custom ordered in 1983, before Taylor was a known name. Garrison is in this early stage right now, they're getting known!
The early (last 2 years) Garrisons had a birch neck, and a sound hole rosette that was carved into the wood with a laser. These ones will be sought after someday. Some stores, including ours, still have a couple of them. The new ones have mahogany necks, and an inlaid herringbone/wood rosette ring.
Great cutaway acoustic/electrics under $700. We have a couple of 12-strings too.
I'll post some photos later today.

-Chad

AnthonySS
11-22-2002, 09:53 AM
I will look forward to the pics

pyro
11-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Here's a G-20-CE-HG (20=cedar top, birch sides/back, CE=cutaway/electric, HG=high gloss finish option)

pyro
11-23-2002, 10:57 AM
Nice deep 3-D figuring on the back on this one. About half of these guitars have some natural flame/quilt figuring in the birch.

pyro
11-23-2002, 11:00 AM
All have the Buzz Feiten Tuning System. This is a patented system of slight changes to the mathemetic orientation of the nut, bridge saddle, and saddle curve. The result is perfect intonation all the way up the neck. On most guitars, every chord has a sour note that's a little out of tune. Not on these.
Guitar companies pay a royalty to the guy that invented this system for every Buzz Feiten Equipped guitar they produce.

pyro
11-23-2002, 11:04 AM
The G-20-CE-HG is $759.99 with a custom hard-shell case included, by the way. Prices will vary between dealers.

I think we have about 12 Garrisons on our guitar wall right now, and more on-order...

If you haven't played one of these yet, you are missing out!

-Chad

Scott Gilmore
11-23-2002, 11:56 AM
That TWANG THANG !!

jmc
11-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Looks like Scott and I think a little alike... How about some Growwll! with that Twang! By the way, sweet looking Lascala's Scott!

AnthonySS
11-25-2002, 01:20 PM
CHAD...

your help has been valuable ....

THANKS

Talon2.5
11-29-2002, 11:29 PM
since we had no bass player for the rumble band and i took that position, i found a used sammick (sp?) that i'm picking up monday it has a nick or two but i think a full teardown and flame paint job is in order, or at least some sort of new paint OR a bunch of boating stickers, boyesen, hoss props, klotz, wiseco etc etc :D what better than boating stickers when ya play in a boating band :D

P.S. anyone got any left over stickers to donate?? :D

Talon2.5
12-04-2002, 05:26 AM
well that bass deal fell through so on to the next :(

AnthonySS
12-04-2002, 08:21 AM
SORRY to hear Skip...

keep plugin... or plukin!!!

Talon2.5
12-04-2002, 04:01 PM
i told my wife, no more hunting for that elusive killer deal that never comes to pass, if the one on e-bay falls through on me i'm going to the store here in town and ordering a flame red ibanez bass i'm done "hunting" ive been steadily searching since the rumble when i got home, i want my sixers and a four so i can learn both and have some versital fun :D sometimes i really get in the mood to just keep in time with the drums and thump :D

P man
12-04-2002, 11:44 PM
just curiouse if any of you acoustic buffs had heard of the manufacturer YAMAKI???
My father owns one and it sounds awsome but I have never seen another nore do I know anything about its history:confused:

Ilovespeed
12-07-2002, 10:16 PM
Samick i got couple years ago and a Yamaha bass...i play this at skewl i am the only onee who plays the bass at my skewl(fairly small skewl) soo thats what i use...
Tyler...P.S. anyone have some good 70's rock tabs ??? i like schtuff from lynard skynard to joe walsh and beyond... thanks

Ilovespeed
12-07-2002, 10:18 PM
should prolly attatch the pics..duh

AnthonySS
12-09-2002, 10:37 AM
NICE ...

Guitars...all the tabs you need can be found at:

www.olga.net

P man
12-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Guitartabs.cc
there not always right but they have alot of stuff

ShorePounder
12-09-2002, 10:13 PM
While we're on this subject:

Anybody got the chords or a tab to Eddie Money's Gimme Some Water

Thanks up front. :D

Talon2.5
12-10-2002, 07:47 AM
and for tabs.........wholenote.com

halveb
12-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Hey Skip,

Any luck on the bass yet. I found the perfect solution for my PA and next years Rumble Jam. Rolls make a mic pre-amp mini mixer, one rack space, which would allow me to mic the drums with up to six mics and send them into the Mackie on two channels (left and right) leaving the siz channels available that are pre-amped already on the board for a total of 12 channels.

Get Shorepounder talked into going. Its sounds like he has a lot of sound experience (at least more than me) and we could use that.

Talon2.5
12-10-2002, 01:52 PM
i would absolutely love for pounder to be able to make it :D he was with me in spirit last year

as far as the bass guitar goes, i'm still on the hunt for a good deal money wise, gotta keep them shorts tightened up ya know what i mean

looking at (because they are the least expensive) an ibanez dual pickup at $209 and a carlo robelli (sp?) with dual pickups at $180

should have one by the end of the week

i lost the bid on the e-bay bass because i felt it wasnt worth more than i had already bid (and felt that was to high to)

halveb
12-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Keep looking, remember I can always bring my buddies bass guitar again...he gave it to me. Of course, I did buy new pickups and have it restrung but still.

Gotta get off my duff and start working. You're getting me fired up about playing. Been soooo busy and tired that I haven't done much musically since the Rumble.

Talon2.5
12-10-2002, 02:05 PM
lowest ive seen was a yamaha with single pickup but i really want dual pickup so leaning toward the carlo

halveb
12-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Go for the double pickups for sure. Can't wait to hear your progress. Any thoughts on how to organize this year's event. Similar to last year, different, if so what???

Talon2.5
12-10-2002, 02:17 PM
the only thoughts i had were about pavillion setup and not being in istigators way, not sure yet

Travis Fulton
12-15-2002, 08:03 PM
man i love guitars hey everybody you should appreciate that gift, last year around this time i was assembling a christmas gift for my wife and part of this thing had 9' glass doors and to make a long story short i fell and the door broke and cut my left wrist along w/ nerves and the ulner aurtery, so there went my playing ability i lost the stregnth and almost all artictuliation in the last 3 digits, so there went the 99 gibson les paul custom shop w/ abalone inlay and 87 les paul i dont feel sorry for my self just saying appreciate it why you can,,, :D

halveb
12-16-2002, 10:23 AM
Travis,

Sorry to hear that cause jamming is a lot of fun. Glad to see that you have adjusted and realize there are lots of things to do in life and playing guitar is only one.

So get in the boat and go go go...........

wildhare
12-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Nice toys guys.........I'm thinking of getting rid of a black SG lefty w/ h -buckers if you may know anyone...

ShorePounder
12-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Lefty SG?? Gibby or Epiphone???

wildhare
12-17-2002, 04:46 PM
it's a gibson.....bought it a couple yrs ago...it has never really been played...also got a Fender Frontman 25r amp ... same condition...hardly used...

ShorePounder
12-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Dammit man!!! As much as I'd love to, I can't. I'd get shot after a couple of steps in the door. (sigh) :rolleyes:

wildhare
12-17-2002, 09:38 PM
no big deal......it may still be here when and if you are able...not really pressed to get rid of it...but I would if someone would give it a good home and use it....

ShorePounder
12-17-2002, 10:51 PM
I'd give it a good home, it'd fit right in with my lefty Strat and lefty Les Paul. :D

wildhare
12-18-2002, 06:11 AM
Nice.......I only wish i had the time to persue playing ....for the time being I'll just continue to perfect my listening skills:D

AnthonySS
12-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Jeepers BRO...that guitar sounds too me like it has your name all over it!!!

C'mon...its Christmas...tell 'er

ShorePounder
12-18-2002, 08:52 AM
You ain't tellin me nuthin I don't already know Anthony. Things are just too tight right now.

AnthonySS
12-18-2002, 08:58 AM
...OK BRO!!

I "COMPLETELY" understand that siti-ation!!

NO WORRIES....you still got nice guitars, good health, great pals here at SandF...and I am sure a ton more too!!!!

and Christmas is in in the air!!!! Our great God Sent his Son down to save us.... and that he is doing...GOD BLESS you bro!!!

Scott Gilmore
12-18-2002, 08:44 PM
A new addition to the family.....JUST in time for Christmas !!

P man
12-18-2002, 11:57 PM
all my roots are acoustic so ill be honest
I KNOW SQUAT ALL about electric :confused:
what kind of $$$ is one looking at if he or she was concidering buying a half decent Epiphone Les Paul????

AnthonySS
12-19-2002, 09:03 AM
buy the real deal "Paul if you can...it will be well worth it in the long run!!

Scott anthying particular about that Strat...I thought it was a Malmsteen at first...but small headstock!!! let us know!!

P man
12-19-2002, 03:43 PM
I just met a friend of my sisters who plans to buy a $3500 Gibson LP!!!!
to me that is simply retarded, ive heard him play hes not bad but he is definatly not that good
im only thinkin about it right now
I think i should keep saving and one day but that voodoo ive been dreaming about for the last 8 years

AnthonySS
12-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Pman...

I aggree that new LesPauls are over priced....you can usually find a used one for half the money.

HEY...how bout a Strat??

Scott Gilmore
12-19-2002, 05:35 PM
That's a new Hot Rod series Texas Special (USA) Strat. Scott

wildhare
12-20-2002, 09:05 AM
reading this post is giving me a strong hankering to pick it up again....i found if i turn it up loud enough i won't hear the cops knocking....:)

AnthonySS
12-20-2002, 09:27 AM
YES I like the TEXAS Special....particularly in a FAT Strat setup.

What does something like that cost in US dollars...they are about 1300 in Canada.

Scott Gilmore
12-20-2002, 07:25 PM
If you look real hard , around $850 US + a case of fine beer :eek: ! Scott

AnthonySS
12-23-2002, 09:01 AM
cool...well 850 US = 1300 cdn...so they are the same price here in Canada!!!

Talon2.5
12-23-2002, 04:22 PM
wildhare,

pick it up plug it in and have fun!! i remember you asked if i brought mine at the east lake get together ;)

Liquid
12-25-2002, 02:36 PM
Been waiting to get these on, Just got my xmzs present, a Digital camera. Not too much but here they are.

1. 1994 Fender Tele 65 Re-issue, Marty Stewert signed for me.

2. 1990 Fender Strat Plus.with gold lace sensors. Mark Collie signed for me.

3. 1996 Gibson Epiphone Flat top sporting a Dean markley pick up.

4. Pevey Stereo Chorus , older than the hills but good to me the last 10 years.

5. Piece TAMA Rock Star kit with paiste and Sabian cymbols.

Scott Gilmore
12-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Really like that Strat Plus, that yellow's RARE (plus a really cool color)!! Here's a pic of my Strat Plus (shoreline gold). Scott :D

Liquid
12-25-2002, 04:15 PM
Here it is right side up LOL. Yes im very partial to that strat, one of my favorits, your is very nice also, dont see many of them around though. Keep jammin.

Jim

halveb
12-26-2002, 02:59 PM
I was gonna ask you how you got those drums to float like that. :confused: :D

AnthonySS
12-31-2002, 08:51 AM
Cool Gear...

See if FPB mag can get those in the background next time they feature your boat:D

Did someone say post those STRATS

;)

1979 with pre-65 hand wound pups

Scott Gilmore
12-31-2002, 09:41 AM
I don't recognize that style of sunburst as being standard in mid to late 70's Strats. Is that a refinish ? If it is , someone did a hell of a nice job. If that is original , you've got something VERY rare on your hands ! Anyway, I love 70's Strats + they are getting very collectable. Very nice, Scott :D

AnthonySS
12-31-2002, 09:57 AM
THANKS for noticing the '79.

YES..it is all original. My buddy revealed this thing to me just over a year ago. He bought it from an estate sale over 10 years ago. The Guitar was hanging on the guys wall for no-one-knows how long.

It is in closet classic condition. My buddy loned it too me for some Skynrd and Clapton tunes I was playing casue it sounds very much like the 70's sounds they used!!!

Anyway the guitar was badly out of tune so I brought it to the pro-shop here in TO. I thought it was going to need some major work.

Turns out they where quite taken by the guitar and said it was in very good shape with minimul fret-wear and just needed setup and intonation.

We had it aprraised at 1600 cdn since it alos has the original case.

Some guys hate '70's strat but this one is player. It was a little hard to get used to the "u" shaped neck and Medium-jumbo frets...but it is an awesome guitar and like you said the CBS Strats are collectible now!!!

My bud swore he would'nt sell it to me but...guess what...I own it now. He said he had to sell it to me cause I was playing it for GOD...

I thought that was a cool reason for him to justfy the sale!!

ANYWAY... I love your Strat collection too Scott. I would like to add a Fat Strat or Plus to my collection someday when I have the dough....

KEEP'm in good shape for me

;)

Scott Gilmore
12-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Just for your info, that Strat's worth between $1200 & $1500 here in the US. Scott :D

MTCM
01-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Glad you guys posted the pics of them. Thanks.

I am a collector and play some too. Just a hobby. I had another case of G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) recently.

Here is the latest addition...............Baker Crucible #670.

MTCM
01-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Sorry, I ain't no photographer.................

AnthonySS
01-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Nice Guit...show us more of your collectibles!!

halveb
01-07-2003, 03:03 PM
MTCM,

Gonna be at the Rumble? Want ta put them babies to use? Be all that you can be and join the band at the Rumble. :cool:

MTCM
01-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Gonna try and make the Rumble. Do not know what I will bring (boat-wise or guitar-wise). I may have another G.A.S. attack or two before then. That's OK as long as it ain't a B.A.S. attack, if you know what I mean. (LOL)

halveb
01-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Yeah, BAS is a little more serious than GAS on the pocketbook. I haven't bought a new guitar in at least 7 or 8 years though. I have bought a lot of PA type equipment so if people get the hankering we can jam as a band with vocals and so on.

Keep us abreast if you are interested. We had a lot of fun last year playing (even though it was a lot of work and too hot). If nothing else I think we will have a sort of open mic but prefer that complete songs be done instead of just jamming (although I would think that a basic blues jam would be fine) just not 8 measures of a song then stop and start another 8 measures of a song. I know I am guilty of doing this (bad habit gotta break it). ;)