PDA

View Full Version : Painting issue please help

RED DRAGON 1
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Ok here it is,my brother in law is trying to re invent the wheel.he is a painter in an auto shop for 15 years.i had 2 offshore mids sandblasted.i told him i wanted to use ppg epoxy primer and paint,but he always has to do things his way.he used a sherwin williams primer,i got tired of arguing with him.now he wants to use sties hecker paint.i told him that evey post i looked at on here they use ppg,he says its outdated and know one knows what there talking about.please give me your expert opinion,i would like too paint this weekend

transomstand
02-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I have 40 years in the auto business. In my expert opinion, whatever you tell a painter to do, he'll do something different:D

Each painter has "his own" products. Hire a painter, and he won't like any of the products you have in house, and tell you it's crap(even though you were getting excellent results before).

It all becomes easier when you resign yourself to the fact that all painters are totally insane:D

If your painter is not a "PPG guy", you'll never sell him on it, regardless of what anyone says here.

The one bright spot here is, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian that makes a quality job, and your confidence needs to be in him, not the product he uses. If your confident in his ability, let him do it his way, the brands you mentioned can produce excellent results. Make him use PPG, and he'll screw it up, and say "I told you so".

RED DRAGON 1
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
i like that.just making sure that another paint has the quality.the color and the looks that everyone says they get out of ppg,,
salt water does damage ..i don't want to spend all this time and money for it to look like crap in a year

transomstand
02-28-2011, 09:03 PM
salt water does damage ..i don't want to spend all this time and money for it to look like crap in a year

If that happened to me, he'd never hear the end of it.

racerx
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Tell not to waste money on clear,use a single stage uratheane paint...The good primer is the veraprime from dupont,but the dp 90 is good, but not as good...

RED DRAGON 1
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
now he's telling me he wants to use clear,i think i might just buy the ppg black and spray in my garage,he wont listen to me

transomstand
03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Can't use clear for a boat application, it scratches way too easy, and turns white when it does.

RED DRAGON 1
03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
he's says single stage will get chalky from the salt water

transomstand
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
The factory uses single stage, works ok for them

RONNIE
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I've been using dp 40 with Imron single stage for years without any issues.

Scott in MN
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
he's says single stage will get chalky from the salt water

So will the clear coat. Mine is clearcoated and will get chalky. The heat bakes the water off and leaves deposits behind. Won't make a difference if it is clear or single stage. They can be cleaned though.

Just saw the salt water part, mine is not tested in salt water.

RobF
03-03-2011, 12:40 PM
the most important part of your process is having the aluminum clean and properly wiped and primed before any topcoat.
At that point the top coat can be just about anything

the nicest motors and drives I have come across and had the pleasure of working on were clearcoated metallic engines and drives