View Full Version : 73 starfire drag boat

treeman
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
here we have a 16' Starfire flat bottom drag boat built by Steve Jones
powered by big block ford full roller motor very low hours
*offenhauser split plane intake
*dual 1404 Edlebrock carbs
*Nicson exhaust
*H2O pump cover bell housing w/Menkens v drive ( 18% overdrive )
*Dual pedals

Now the y im selling
I had friends with a couple of theese boats tried to get me into raceing with them I had just bought this boat and my one friend had a blow over and got killed. Then my other friend stoppe raceing his and finally sold it.:nonod:
So here I was stuck with a boat and noone to ride with, and did I mention
a wife who refuses to let me take this boat to the water...sooooo
after the boat sitting under cover for a couple of years she has agreed to let me continue my passion only if its not a flat bottom:reddevil: she knows i have a past with v bottoms and have never had an issue so I convinced her that an allison/ v bottom would do just fine and she agreed:D:D
so now boat is for sale it will need tank drained fresh gas and fresh battery then away you go... asking 12,500 cash negotiable..
if you have a 280 or if you have an allison or maybe even both then we can talk..

feel free to call 386-848-8733
boat is in central fl.

treeman
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
guees theres not to many flat bottom fans here...

2buckchuck
02-06-2010, 07:34 PM
What was the speed and time of this boat in the liquid quarter. prop and pitch ? :):):)

treeman
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I cant say for sure as I have never had the pleasure of driving this boat
but the prop is a 2 blade menkens will have to check on pitch

2buckchuck
02-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Did any of the previous owners ever mention a quarter mile speed to you or any of your friends ? :):):):)

treeman
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
piloted by Spud Murphy on the Tualatin river where ever that is clocked
138 in the 1/4 mile

Raceman
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
piloted by Spud Murphy on the Tualatin river where ever that is clocked
138 in the 1/4 mile

I'm no expert on V drives, and have only owned one in my life........ A Sanger with a 454, tunnel ram and Basset wet headers........... BUT ....... I'm gonna haveta' declare BS on 138 in the quarter with the motor shown in the pictures. :nonod:

spareparts
02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
after owning a stevens with a 427 bbc, I'd have to agree on the bs call, but it seems to be a nice boat, I'd guess in the upper 80's with out knowing more about the motor. It would be a great boat for someone starting out in V drives

Raceman
02-08-2010, 07:54 AM
after owning a stevens with a 427 bbc, I'd have to agree on the bs call, but it seems to be a nice boat, I'd guess in the upper 80's with out knowing more about the motor. It would be a great boat for someone starting out in V drives

That would have been my guess........... 80's if that's a fairly stout Ford. I found out foolin' with the Sanger that I had that it takes a good bit of power to put one of those in triple digits.

Riverratt
02-08-2010, 08:05 AM
With that mph you would be looking at the high 7's low 8's and that is not enough motor to pull that off. It would take atleast 1100 hp for that.

2buckchuck
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I would like to thank all of the people who responded to my post. Thanks, 2bkck :smiletest::smiletest::smiletest:

spareparts
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I've allways wanted a Sanger bubble deck, probably a good thing I never found one for sale. From what the guys who taught me about v-drives said. A beismeyer runner bottom would just top 100 with a stock L88. I figure the runner was probably one of the faster flats made, and an L88 with a single plane, a big Holley and headers should be making around 500 at the flywheel, just to get an idea on speed. As far as et, I figure driver has a whole lot to do with that

Raceman
02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I had a Sanger bubble deck that I bought repo'd from a bank a LONG TIME ago. The banker told me that it'd run 120 and that the previous owner blew the motor and gave it back to the bank on a voluntary repo. Supposedly the engine was an LS7 with a tunnel ram. When I got it home and cranked it, the vibration was so bad that it'd rattle your teeth. The replacement block assembly that the bank had installed in it was a 427 (internally balanced) and the idiots in the garage they'd used put the external balanced flywheel and harmonic balancer on it. We ended up building back an LS7 for it EXCEPT put 11:1 pistons in it instead of the 12:1's the LS 7 would've had stock. This engine should have been WELL into the 500 horsepower range, but we never could get the boat to run faster than 80's. Granted we never fooled with prop changes or gear ratio changes in the V drive.

Spare, just for the record, the Corvette community generally accepts the idea that the early closed chamber L88 (1967, 1968, and most of 1969) put out about 560 at the flywheel, while the later open chamber L88 which came out in late '69 was slightly higher, probably 30 to 40 HP. This of course assumed headers instead of the factory restrictive exhaust manifolds and a good jet & distributor curve tune up.

Another interesting V drive tale.......... when I was drag racing my Ally with the T3 it was NEVER beaten UNLESS Wayne Weeks showed at the race, and then it NEVER won, except once. It was in Douglas Georgia and I beat him for the first and only time in the Unlimited V final. Who knows if he just bogged a tad, or I got a better start, or whatever, but being friends as we were, after the race we were standing on the bank watching the final class of the day, the inboards. The announcer was really pilin' it on and saying that the first pair of boats went through at over 130 while our class just ran about 110. Wayne said "doesn't look like they're runnin' that fast to me". I told him I was thinkin' the same thing. We went and asked if we could step up and run that class too. The guy at the announcer's stand stuttered around and said he didn't know why we'd want to, 'cause those boats were runnin' AT LEAST 25 MPH faster. Anyway, long story short, we paid, dumped the boats back in and lined up. I put a flat bottom with a BB Chevy on the trailer in my first race, and Wayne did the same to whoever he ran. We drew each other in the second round and he put me on the trailer. (I guess the previous race where I beat him really was a fluke) Wayne went through the rest of the field one by one and ended up getting beat in the final by a flattie with a blown hemi. Some of the other boats he beat had blowers also.

(sorry for the hijack, but hey, it kept the post at the top)

spareparts
02-08-2010, 07:37 PM
hey, I was being conservative on the hp ratings :thumbsup: figured some one would slam me if I quoted high numbers. The guys I used to run with had jets and v drives, the jets(Sunkist tunnels, and performer hulls) would kill the v-drives(unless the v-driver was real good) in the quater, but the v drives would run them down pretty quick. The outboards were starting to get real fast about the time I got out of it. My Stevens was a pile, lucky I never finished it. Still, I keep dreaming about a Sanger bubble deck, theres something just bad about those things. BTW, from the guys I knew that ran them or against them, your Sanger should have been faster, did you ever straighten the bottom?

treeman
02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
:icon_bs:I cant say for sure as I have never had the pleasure of driving this boat
but the prop is a 2 blade menkens will have to check on pitch
this was my honest answer and truethfull

I was then asked if previous owner had ever said any numbers and i was only quoting what was told to me:icon_bs: 138 :icon_bs: but an educated guess would have to disagree (but not impossible for a flatbottom believe that)
but i was also told by the engine builder that the motor was real close to 800 hp

but i tried to list all the facts in the very first descriptive text on this post:Dbut thanks for the top page responses all of yall seem to be pretty knowledge about theese boats can yall give some predictions on a reasonable price for this boat:confused:

albypine
02-09-2010, 04:10 AM
looks like an old FE motor in it, if so them stock heads are a lil to heavy for us to use as boat anchors. would be intrested in knowing the casting # on the frount left side of block. does it say 352? been a few years, if i remember rite,but i may be intrested if casting #s are what i am looking for. do you know what work has been done to motor if it still turns over?