PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum for floor????

little.B
07-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi.I am not sure if this is right spot for this question or if there is a right spot for it :confused: I am currently doing a restro on a 1981 Glastron SSV151 and I am currious as to weather or not I can use alum inplace of wood for the flooring? I would like the wiehgt savings and no rot qualities but am nervouse of it perminatly bending if I hit a big wake and the boat flex.Any advice apreciated..Brian

RB in NM
07-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Besides being hot as a firecracker in the summer heat, by the time you get aluminum plate thick enough to withstand the rigors of the hull's beatings, marine plywood may be the ticket, far cheaper too.. easier to work with and it will flex when and where needed.

jus' my opinion tho'.............RB

WATERWINGS
07-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I believe Fir plywood uses the same glue as marine plywood, and is alot cheaper.:thumbsup:

Yea.......Alum. will be HOT....plus, how would you "bond" it to the rest of the boat?

little.B
07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey thanks guy.It looks like I will be sticking wood.Just trying to be a little creative.

afr
07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
little b there are other materials that wont rot but it does cost a bit more then wood would
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144414&highlight=hydrostream+voyager+learn