PDA

View Full Version : Foot throttle VS No foot throttle

huck_this
05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Just curious to see what people prefer and why? I understand its a safety/performance thing.

Sometimes I wish I had it, but if you ski/tube it could be nuisance.

Darkside's Calling
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
My '80 Tahiti SBC/OMC 800 has a hand throttle and I'm pretty used to it, but my new (to me) '86 Eliminator daytona Yamaha V-6 has a foot throttle. I haven't run it yet, but just sitting in it it's not real comfortable, mounted on the tunnel and too close to me (I'm 6'2", 190). I may look into building an ofset bracket to drop it into the center sponson, and forward a cople of inches, but want to run it as is first.

The hand throttle works well for extended cruising and pulling tube/ski, which is a lot of what I do. I have always worried about it in case of getting tossed, but a kill switch would cover that.

BeefKid
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Just curious to see what people prefer and why? I understand its a safety/performance thing.

Sometimes I wish I had it, but if you ski/tube it could be nuisance.

Foot throttle definitly especially in a Vbottom... you want both hands on the wheel at high speeds... no reachin over to slow down just pick your foot up:thumbsup::cheers:

david martin
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
:thumbsup:Foot pedal, hands down you will need both hands on the wheel at high speeds. My foot pedal is bolted through the hull in the center of the boat.(factory mounted when new)
David

Darkside's Calling
05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
My foot pedal is bolted through the hull in the center of the boat.(factory mounted when new)
David

can you get a pic of the pedal and bracket since your hull is similar to mine? I might be able to use the current bracket and mount thru the side of the tunnel....:confused:

BeefKid
05-05-2009, 09:56 AM
can you get a pic of the pedal and bracket since your hull is similar to mine? I might be able to use the current bracket and mount thru the side of the tunnel....:confused:

I glasses a peice of 1" or so wood to the floor were i wanted the petal after making the boat center steered then screwed it into that... aint goin nowere:thumbsup:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/koolkid620/P5040287.jpg

transomstand
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Spend plenty of time finding a comfortable position for your leg, and don't use a 2000 lb return spring, you'll be glad you did:D

There are also contol boxes that allow dual control, lever throttle or foot operated, Land and Sea used to make one.

Forkin' Crazy
05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Why do you need to put both hands on the wheel at high speeds? I can drive my Ally with one! :p

BK, you slept through English class, didn't you! :o

baja200merk
05-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Gonna have to change his name to big bore:eek:

BeefKid
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Why do you need to put both hands on the wheel at high speeds? I can drive my Ally with one! :p

:rolleyes::D:cheers:

WATERWINGS
05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
There are also contol boxes that allow dual control, lever throttle or foot operated, Land and Sea used to make one.

Yea, what HE said.............the best of both worlds.:thumbsup:

Scott in MN
05-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I can't imagine a hand throttle in my ally.
One of the first fast boats I rode in was a friend's V-king w/ a modified 2.4 200 and he had a hand throttle. Wide open across the lake we were all grins until we ran out of lake and when his hand reached for the throttle everything in the boat puckered up because the ride was just beginning. Hard to control the let off when things get a little shakey....

transomstand
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Another reason is to drive it, you need to control throttle, wheel, and trim. Being a standard 2 handed person, I can have difficulty with that:D

imq707s
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think I could ever drive my boat very fast over the rough stuff without a foot throttle. I like having both hands on the wheels, while stil being able to control the throttle and trim.

Trying to keep the boat under control with only one hand on the wheel at 80 mph just seems like a bad idea to me. :eek:

whipper
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't think I could ever drive my boat very fast over the rough stuff without a foot throttle. I like having both hands on the wheels, while stil being able to control the throttle and trim.

Trying to keep the boat under control with only one hand on the wheel at 80 mph just seems like a bad idea to me. :eek:
I agree. I had lots of levered throttled boats over the years. I will {never} I mean NEVER go back from a foot throttle again. The benefits of having a foot are to many to list! I ski and tube no problem with the foot.:thumbsup: Cruise at a constant speed no issues at all. Boating is way more fun with a foot. Way more.:thumbsup:

WATERWINGS
05-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I love when you go past a stopped boat, and they give you the "hand on the lever throttle and nail it" sign .................

They don't even know boats have foot throttles............

baja200merk
05-05-2009, 02:18 PM
the spring on my hot foot is pretty stretched out so i lift it up and put it through the piece where the merc cable would lock into. then when i go on long rides i just unclip it and can sit at 5k with just the weight of my foot on the throttle :thumbsup:

kid:D

Hippie459MN
05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
After driving my uncles boat a few years back with a foot throttle for the first time I was hooked. I wont use a hand throttle again.

Jacob
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
:D:D:D:D

Foot throttle hands down. I'll never own a boat without one.
I'm putting one in my next Skiff.

Skiff; N, Skiffs, Da bote, Aluminium boat solely used for anything a coonass decides to use it for. Mainly used to catch crawfish, catfish, shrimp, frogs, alligators, and anyting that will make a gravy. Also often used for evading da Game Warden!

A definition fur da Yankees:cheers::D:D:D

david martin
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I will get you some pics of my set up tomarrow as soon as I get home.:thumbsup:
David

David
05-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I actually prefer the foot throttle for skiing and tubing. That might just be because my 150 HP XR4 has a lot better throttle response than my 100 Johnny V4. At any rate, I think a foot throttle is fine for water toys.

The 150 is on an SS2000, and it certainly needs and has a foot throttle. That is a both hands on the wheel boat.

The 100 is on a 16 Baja, and with hydraulic steering and a hand throttle, it is easy enough to drive with one hand. But it barely goes fast enough to chinewalk.

oceantraveler
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
FOOT Throttle ! I cant imagine going back to hand control.......

T-REX
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Well, from an ole cripples standpoint, I preferr tha hand throttle for most my boats....I have a foot throttle in my comp 16' laser, but I kan drive it with one hand...Hydrolik steer'in iz great!!.....

HStream1
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I love when you go past a stopped boat, and they give you the "hand on the lever throttle and nail it" sign .................

They don't even know boats have foot throttles............

Do ya think you could see the "foot on the foot throttle and nail it sign" if they did that?

Had to do it John!!! Couldn't help myself :D

Did you find the speedo you were looking for yet?

HStream1
05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
If you can't find the dual control unit that transomstand mentions. You can try what I did on a boat some time back. Mount the foot throttle and new cable. leave the lever throttle cable, just disconnect it at the engine. It only takes 30 seconde to lift the cover and switch cables for what ever you are doing.

Dave Strong
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
After only having footthrotles since 90, water tested freinds after some repairs. It was the most unnatural, clumsy, feeling, like driving a boat for the first time. It was real strange, don,t know if its just me once I've had a footthrotle can ever see having shift throtle again.
Dave

WATERWINGS
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Do ya think you could see the "foot on the foot throttle and nail it sign" if they did that?

Had to do it John!!! Couldn't help myself :D

Did you find the speedo you were looking for yet?

No, and I still haven't even sent my old one off to Livorsi yet either..........

I am still runnin with a "black eye".......(white gauges, with a black speed-o)

rvaha
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd like to add a foot petal as well, but I occasionally sit on my knee to see better. Having the ability to do both would be nice. The Land & Sea option doesn't look bad - but when you push the foot is the hand moving as well? A device to split the 2 would be great - perhaps this does that. Anyone with experience with this???

HStream1
05-06-2009, 03:11 PM
No, and I still haven't even sent my old one off to Livorsi yet either..........

I am still runnin with a "black eye".......(white gauges, with a black speed-o)

Shame on you. Doug and I need to get over there with you guys in L Wash one weekend for some play time. I hear you guys have some 114 MPH boats doing the 1/8th over there. Any truth to that? Or just smoke?

Bud

Dave Strong
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Installed one in dads boat in 91. Its a little stiff by hand due to tight bend needed to route cable. Dad uses shifter as " cruise contol " I never use shifter for throtle, nice feature.
If you get Land&Sea dual action style make sure to get Teleflex 33C supreme, red-jacket cables. 4" bend radius vs 8" on std cables. They have another, TFXtreme 3300 CC, They say will also work at 4" bend, never used them, anyone else tried them ? May need longer ones for my boat, If their better would give them a try ??
Dave

SRP71
05-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I'd like to add a foot petal as well, but I occasionally sit on my knee to see better. Having the ability to do both would be nice. The Land & Sea option doesn't look bad - but when you push the foot is the hand moving as well? A device to split the 2 would be great - perhaps this does that. Anyone with experience with this???

I have the L&S setup on my boat and it works great. The hand thottle does not move with the foot pedal but the foot pedal moves with the hand throttle. I really love the foot throttle, only use the hand throttle for long cruises after the boat is on plane, or when we are skiing after the skiier is up.

I love it when a boat want to run and they see you take off yet the hand throttle never moves. Get a few stares...

I wont ever go back to a hand only throttle...

philmyrna_shakesby
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
:rolleyes:Now back to the question. I think the Land and Sea combo of having the use of the hand throtle at ski speeds is good but at high speed you do nead both hands on, Trim buttons on the wheel, kits available, and get a comfortable place to put youre left foot and fix a good solid pad to brace youre self at speed. A good return spring,in S/S with ALL S/S fittings, nothing worse than a galvi bit rusting through. Always happends when you nead it most:eek:Sorry though guys I saw those "hooks" on the hot foots off. Gone over in early daes of tunnels and don't like being "hooked up" got" Cat knees" As it is. Well there you go that's my bit. Hpoe it helped. Cheers, Phil.:cheers:

rvaha
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
So SRP71 - when you use the hand throttle, are you having to push the spring in the foot as well???? Looks like when you use the foot - the hand is not moving - so there is no friction or extra springs to move. My hand throttle has some stiffness to move - wander if added tension from a foot throttle spring would make it real hard to push. Thanks

RevmanII
05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I put the Land n Sea in a 21' Checkmate a few years ago. I had the same issue with not wanting to give up my hand throttle. First time I took it out with the foot throttle I was blown away. You have so much better control of the boat it's amazing.

I would definitely recommend a foot throttle in any kind of small,light performance boat. The Land n Sea gives you the best of both if they are still available.

WATERWINGS
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Shame on you. Doug and I need to get over there with you guys in L Wash one weekend for some play time. I hear you guys have some 114 MPH boats doing the 1/8th over there. Any truth to that? Or just smoke?

Bud

That is more like a top speed number on one boat, and another is faster than that, but he hasn't totally pushed it since the motor upgrades were done.

None of us really race each other, and none of us run any measured distance.

We just play aggressivly.

I still haven't put my 100+ MPH motor on my Quartershot yet....its still sittin on the bench.

jphii
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Bud

Smoke....

We just play aggressivly.

Yep:thumbsup:

jimmybrie
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Foot throttle is the way to go, I also fitted a truck throttle for long ride... when you're at speed just pull the throttle to match the pedal and then you just have to turn the knob left or right to increase or decrease throttle. Like a manual cruise control... Works great for me:thumbsup:

david martin
05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/fx9z80.jpg
Here is a pic of my foot pedal. It bolts through the hull. screw heads are flush with bottom of boat. This is how it looked when I bought the boat in 2005 and is still the same eccept cleaner.
David

david martin
05-07-2009, 12:44 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/14tojed.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/iog687.jpg
Here are two more pics
David

bulletbob
05-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I recently purchased a cat and plan on putting a split foot throttle to free up a hand. My T- Bred that I just sold had the trim and jack plate switches on the throttles. It took a little getting used to. When the boat would get squirelly in the rough it would get interesting. I am looking forward to having a foot throttle and trim on the wheel. Bob

WATERWINGS
05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I hear you guys have some 114 MPH boats doing the 1/8th over there. Any truth to that? Or just smoke?

Bud

WE do have ONE really fast boat on our River every once in a while.......(NO not YOU Joe):eek:

Once in a while.......David Carver brings out SKYWALKER for a play ride.......but he is running a stock 300 Drag......No Nitros, just race gas.

My radar gun couldn't keep up, but I saw 120 MPH before he went past me.

philmyrna_shakesby
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Bolts thro' the bottom has never been I've been a great fan of having seen stress cracks and the start of de lamination. No problems with your'es?I've glassed marine ply plate to the bottom with bolts resesed(spelling) from underneath. Never had problems but you may never had either. Bolts thro' the transom, ah, that's different, they hold the "donk" on. Many years ago at Mount Maunganui I saw a 200 come into our shop with an "extention of 5" to the transom. Beutifull varnished Mahogany, with the engine bolted to the wood, the bottom "bolts" were Lag Bolts, worse to come, the "nice wood" which went right across the transom was just sitting there. I kid you not. The boat went to our glass shop where they did a great job, you couldn't tell it had been re built to 25". Re mount motor, boat goes away, cheque bounced. Another dealer saying the work was "Unnecessary" The sights you see without looking down a gun barrel!!Phil:eek:

RevmanII
05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
From '06, this is the Land n Sea split foot throttle in my last Checkmate...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc270/revmanii/000_0818.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc270/revmanii/000_0821.jpg

huck_this
05-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I Googled it and can't find pictures or any for sale. The dual (foot/hand) I would be interested in.

Dave Strong
05-07-2009, 08:42 PM
www.land-and-sea.com (http://www.land-and-sea.com)
Mostly dyno stuff, is Phone # to order non dyno parts catalog. Sure they still make Dualaction Foot Throtle.
Dave