PDA

View Full Version : eng. height

Brian Wallace
07-27-2002, 01:06 PM
I recently bought a 16' baja with 150 merc mainly for water skiing (thanks Bourke). could anyone tell me what would be a good prop and eng height combination for water skiing and speed.
What are the general rules of thumb for setup.

MTCM
07-28-2002, 07:51 AM
Please post type of gearcase, coned or no cone, CLE etc. Also measure from the top center of the transom down to the lowest bottom point of the boat (usually the pad, if it has one), and post that dimension. 20-inch midsection right? Is there a jackplate or setback bracket, and how much set back does it have? What prop are you using now, and what kind of performance is it giving you?

Burke Kilgour
08-02-2002, 11:07 PM
The stock LU has a L&S cone/LWP on it.
When I took the jackplate off, I set the engine on the transom to the middle holes which put the propshaft approximately 5" below the pad. I figured it was kinda a happy medium for skiing. Brian can measure to get a more accurate number though.

Burke......... ( notice spelling Brian !!!!! )
:D :D :D

Burke Kilgour
08-02-2002, 11:49 PM
Hey Brian another good choice for a prop for you would be a torque shift prop. You have to make sure you're not surfacing it at all, or it'll throw blades though. Apparently they work well when they're kept underwater.
They shift up 10"+ of pitch as your load decreases and your RPM starts coming up, kinda like a constant speed prop on an aircraft.
Theres one on the prop board right now for $200. That one may be too high pitch, but I think you can adjust it down.
Just post you're looking for one and you'll probably get a load of responses from the guys who tried surfacing them. ;)
Another prop you might want to consider is the 22 pitch High Five on the prop board. I was running a 26 High Five on that boat and got some good top end numbers, but it was kinda slow pulling skiiers out, but not too bad overall.

check out this link
http://www.land-and-sea.com/marine/torque-shift/torque-shift.htm

Good luck,
Burke

Burke Kilgour
08-04-2002, 10:56 PM
OH YA.........WELCOME to the board, Brian :D :D :D

vector mike
08-06-2002, 11:36 AM
If your just going to waterski with this boat, stick with a thru hub prop. Keep the prop submerged and something in the 22-24 pitch range. A LASER II would work well with this setup.

Brian Wallace
08-09-2002, 12:31 AM
:) ;) Thanks for all the help Got a pretty good Idea what i'm going to do now. seeya.

Brian Wallace
08-09-2002, 12:53 AM
Burke sorry about misspelling your name. I talked to a guy that has a torque shift prop. He thinks it's great but he said that it will not last to long if it runs on the surface. If it's going to shed blades I don't need that problem. I think the High five or the Lasere II might be the way to go:cool: :cool: :cool:

Burke Kilgour
08-09-2002, 04:09 PM
OK Brian :D .....I didn't think you were going to be surfacing a prop.......

Burke

airide18
08-15-2002, 07:24 PM
I recomend you get a HIGH FIVE merc prop.Its ideal for water sports!!!!

Burke Kilgour
08-16-2002, 11:29 PM
I agree with airide18 on the high 5, but thought the torque shift would give you the best of both worlds if you weren't surfacing.

I hope your boat gets fixed soon too Brian, and don't let this incident put too much of a damper on your newfound boating enthusiasm.

Burke