PDA

View Full Version : GT PRO race boats???

rjdubiel
07-25-2008, 03:36 PM
i just was looking around at these on some pages and the few posts here on S&F. i was just wondering what brand or model of boats would work for this racing. i see many are custom built boats. what manufactured boats would be competitive against custom built boats made just for GT PRO racing?
looks like fun.:thumbsup:

here are the rules:

GT PRO Rules

A. Driver's Minimum Age 14

B. Motors (NOTE: see also OPC rules #24 and #25 regarding replacement parts and modifications.)
1. Any 35 horsepower, two cylinder, 31.8 cid. Johnson or Evinrude is allowed.
2. Unlimited part swapping with parts origninal to the 31.8 cid. OMC powerhead is allowed.
3.Engines must be stock, -- as manufactured (no blueprinting) -- with the following exceptions
a. Rpm limiters and oil injection systems may be removed.
b. Electric start may be added
c. Solid or pinned motor mounts are allowed.
d. Tiller arms may be removed
e. Air silencers may be removed
f. Skeg wear bar may be removed
g. Under-flywheel ignition may be converted to powerpack ignition using OEM or aftermarket parts/kits.
h. Neutral start switch may be removed
i. Cylinders may be bored .30 over and fitted with OEM oversize pistons.
j. Reeds of any material, OEM or aftermarket, are allowed.
4. Power trim, manual-trim or spoilers, adjustable while the boat is underway is allowed.
5. Transom adapters for raising, lowering or extending the engine will be allowed, but must be fixed while underway
6. Two 1"diameter holes that can be readily plugged (for testing) may be drilled in the lower unit above the cavitation plate.
7. Cosmetic appearance of engine may be changed.
8. Engines must be securely bolted to the boat with a minimum of two bolts

C. Boats: Minimum 10'0" long and 48" wide; Minimum Weight 650 Lbs.
1. Boats of any material, homebuilt, custom-built or production, are allowed
2. Boats may be v-bottom, modified vee or tunnel (no hydroplanes). Four inch minimum tunnel depth at transom.
3. Drivers must be sitting in a seat at all times, using a foot throttle and steering wheel.
4. Junction of seat and seat back may not be more than 36" rearward of midships.
5. Boats must have a minimum of 3 cu. ft. of flotation foam.
6. Boats will be required to start off plane.

D. Propellers -- Any propeller, prop nut, washer and thrust washer.

litnin
07-26-2008, 12:41 AM
I absolutely recommend hitting Bob Dillon's site. He makes and sells plans for GT and GT Pro boats. Hit my sit www.lightningpowerboatracing.com (http://www.lightningpowerboatracing.com) and then hit his link on the right. His boats make up almost half or more of the GT pro boats in our region.

tabararacing
08-18-2008, 11:26 PM
There are alot of boats out there that will work for Mini GT. There are alot of good people to call to get into the class. Racemaster tunnels and Dillon GT's seem to have good luck. Definately the racemaster seems to be the boats to beat.

Brian

chairman
09-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Sorry I'm so late coming to this post. I have highlighted some boats for sale (not by me) that would be suitable for GT Pro, including one current manufacturer from South Carolina (one of our club members drive one of these in VP75). http://www.dillon-racing.com/boats-for-sale.htm.

One last chance this season to see GT Pro racing, in Little Falls, MN, September 20 & 21. It's a long drive for you, but I hope you'll consider making the trip. You'll see Racemasters, a Kober Cat, a Rinker, as well as three or four homebuilt "Dillon" boats.

Also, all of the guys selling the used boats on my Boats-For-Sale page are likely to be there.

See GT Pro right now on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/dillonracing

I hope you'll make the trip.

Bob

afr
09-14-2008, 06:14 AM
why is it always no hydroplanes

Cobra1racer
09-14-2008, 09:11 AM
why is it always no hydroplanes

Looks like the hydroo gets spanked in the turns, loosing the race. But I'm with you hydro stuff.

afr
09-14-2008, 09:16 AM
yea i dont get it i could turn mine on a dime ,and stay wot ,if you dare, with no turn fin, before i went and changed it to get a better ride, and be more user freindly being in exposed waters all the time
oh well i dig um even if they are outlawed in every forum of racing cept unlimited
and the under 11 ft boats

Mark75H
09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
i dig um even if they are outlawed in every forum of racing cept unlimited and the under 11 ft boats

They are hardly banned in "every form of racing"

They rule in drags!

There are classes with hydros longer than 11 ft, too. The west coast "River racer" class has to be 14 ft I think. I've had a few PRO/Mod boats that were 13

afr
09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
yea i dont know all the rules ,and classes if any really, i just see no hydro,s on every forum, i could have a shot at getting into and yes the drag guys said i could run with them any time they would find a place to put me if i come
maybe one day

litnin
09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
And possibly a Yamoto Wrangler, a cute little 10 FT pickle fork I'm trying to get ready for Little Falls as well.

rjdubiel
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
when are the little falls races, and when? it sounds like saturday and sunday? i was going to go to my dads pheasant farm that weekend and i would like to see one of these races. looks like fun.

RJ

litnin
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
next weekend, Sept. 20-21

woodduck
09-15-2008, 07:51 AM
I've been looking at those little hydro plans on the glen-l.com website. Looking at building a little 8' 6" hydro for my son's 12th birthday next march. He can start racing then. Has to have a little 15 hp on it. Looked at wing boats but i like the idea of a little hydro. Can anyone else recomend some plans that may be better?

rjdubiel
09-15-2008, 08:59 AM
next weekend, Sept. 20-21

what lake?

afr
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
i have some plans it was called the jupiter back in the day 9 ft 10 inches for a mark 20
semi cabover hydro

tabararacing
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd also consider sport c, it's a bit more top end speed, a bit more professional racing, but it's a good well established national class. Both classes are good candidates; I'd recommend checking them out in Little Falls MN on the Mississippi river right in town. Little falls is a very small community, you'll find the park at the river. When crossing the bridge (crossing the river) you'll see where the pits are.

Hydrovector
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
No lake, it's on the Mississippi river in Little Falls. The Larson /Glastron plant is located right there too. Been to the races there a couple of times. The little boats are fun to watch.

chairman
09-15-2008, 05:29 PM
The Little Falls races are on the Mississippi River. From hwy 10 take hwy 27 west thru downtown. Cross the river then immediately turn right. The park is right there on your right. Racing should get going around noon.

chairman
09-24-2008, 06:54 AM
The Twin City Powerboat Association held its last two races of the 2008 season this past weekend. Summer made a return engagement in our honor. http://www.dillon-racing.com/gt-pro/race-results-2008.htm

This was the second season for GT Pro, one of TCPBA's three Sportsman classes.

In 2007, GT Pro only had two boats. Mini GT boats/drivers were called upon to help out, and we were able to run seven races. A Mini GT boat actually won GT Pro's inaugural race. (That hurt, just a bit.)

For 2008, nine boats participated in GT Pro, though we never got them all together at the same time. But we had seven boats at seven races, and six boats at one race.

Eight of the nine drivers had at least one podium finish.

Four drivers achieved wins.

As far as I know everyone will be back next season, and there are a few more prospects who I hope will be joining us. And we'll keep promoting GT Pro, hoping for even more newcomers.

Updates and information at http://www.dillon-racing.com.

http://www.dillon-racing.com/gt-pro/images/LittleFalls2008-05.jpg

litnin
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Dang...I never got to run the GT Pro I had worked on for the past 2 weeks but oh well...the extra 50 gallons leaking into the starboard sponson would have made cornering hard anyway :D. Sport C is definitely something I would like to jump into (no $$ for it right now though) but I am pushing my posse that we should all buy an SST 60 and put Chris "the animal" Lazarz in it as the driver. Too bad he had engine failure this weekend and was knocked off the podium for the first time this year in VP.

tabararacing
09-24-2008, 11:27 PM
There is a sport c on BRF website for $2,500. It's a Gran Prix; the most competitive design sport c boat. I recommend the boat, it's a good boat for sport c. I believe it comes with 1 prop.