PDA

View Full Version : dunb question What happened to the races

auctioneer
07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Sorry folks I been outta the loop for about 15 years When I raced from the late 60s till early 90s there was 3-5 races in the southeast almost every weekend and at lest 2 OPC races we would flip a coin and go the the race that won I have been looking and there isnt hardly 4 per year now

Is it a lack of manufacture equiptment of just high cost

Maybe lack of race site I know some were turned to condos

please explain thanks

Mark75H
07-17-2008, 09:20 PM
#1 lack of race sites, #2 too many other things to do, #3 "professionalization" of F1 ... you make the club too exclusive, eventually you won't even want yourself in it

auctioneer
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
kinda thought so I noticed that APBA has put so many rules on the few classes they have left that I wouldnt even start to try and do a new boat

I personaly dont think you need safety cells and boats running under 100 mph at the cost of them today guess its an ins thing

As a race promoter and other event promoter I know however that there is still several sites that we used to run and no-one putting on races Maybe the santion fees are to high , insurance is to high, or maybe just need to put on some RUN _WHAT _U BRUNG ole time backyard races like we did in the 70s

We brought tractor pulling back to the old down town arena in Ocala this year after it died 15 years ago and filled the house for 2 nights with standing room only crowds That was because OLD farts like me and a lot of kids that are grown now remember how it used to be. I guess when I watch commercials on tv they are play music from the 70s lol

Thanks for the input and the memories All this is just me thinking out loud and sometimes I aint equipted to do that :leaving:

Respectfully Chip Haywod

Mark75H
07-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Sanction fees and insurance aren't that bad, but finding a interested sponsor and water that you can control for the race day(s) are.

Fish
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
hey chip, welcome to scream and fly (a little late). if you raced from the late 60's to 90's, you will probably find a few familiar faces around here.

auctioneer
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks fish I have already seen a bunch and found out that some are no longer among the living good to see every body though thanks:thumbsup:

Fish
07-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks fish I have already seen a bunch and found out that some are no longer among the living good to see every body though thanks:thumbsup:

just curious, do you remeber a guy named Joe bonanno, everyone called jim joe banannas? I have been trying to get in touch with him for a couple years

afr
07-18-2008, 08:00 PM
the expense and rules is what got me
i was gung hoe there for a while to do roundy round
but i dont know how to build the motors so i would not be able to compete
i even bought two apba licences
then i found merc has a lease program for the champ boats
were you get your motor at the race site and never have to touch it in anyway
if it quits they put a new one on right then and there
and the way the payout works really you get the use of the power head for free
and champ has major sponsors so the payout is great
all you need is a good truck/rv and two boats with mids / foots and props
and a lot of free time and travel money i was thinking i could get a used boat and make a few close races to get started
then the economy dumped on me now i cant even get a good jacket right now to play in the boat i already built
but as i see it champ is the only game for round round right now
they just ran frost proff opc is still alive and well i just dont know that much about opc

IMO
scott

what class was you thinking to run
but just like 75 said is no easy task to put a race on these day to much red tape and no sponsors
best thing is just call apba

JWTjr.
07-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I think...didn't you run in Formula 100 in the mid-80s? I seem to remember seeing you/your rig at a few FL races (Auburndale, etc.). I thought you had a Stinger GP on a Broughton or similar? Am I thinking of the right guy?

JT (I was running EP and JP then).

auctioneer
07-19-2008, 03:48 AM
that was me then went drag racing