PDA

View Full Version : Top Speed Shootout

jphii
06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
OK guys, here's the deal. We may have a line on a site to have a Top Speed Shootout at. Been giving some thought to having it in the fall, on an ECDBA race weekend. Do the speed runs early on Sat & Sun morning, then have a test & tune on Sat & races on Sun.

Interested? Ideas? Comments?

RBT
06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
ya BAN Dixon....... LOL
:D:D:D

mirage243
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh boy, here we go. I can't wait to see the predictions. Let me guess, 165 MPH on a bone stock 260.

RBT
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh boy, here we go. I can't wait to see the predictions. Let me guess, 165 MPH on a bone stock 260.

What does that mean?

Swamp boy
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
What does that mean?

:iagree: What's that supposed to mean? Some guys run top end and enjoy it. To each his own, some people drag, some top end, and some could care less and just want to ride. I think its a great idea.

Tony Montana
06-25-2008, 03:19 PM

someone had a big bowl of hater-O's for breakfast.

mirage243
06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
:iagree: What's that supposed to mean? Some guys run top end and enjoy it. To each his own, some people drag, some top end, and some could care less and just want to ride. I think its a great idea.

Lighten up guy's, don't anybody on this board have a sense of humor anymore?:cheers:

jphii
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Lighten up guy's, don't anybody on this board have a sense of humor anymore?:cheers:

i thought it was funny:thumbsup:

RBT
06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
:D

Come to a heads..... that will be funny......:reddevil:

mirage243
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
:D

Come to a heads..... that will be funny......:reddevil:

What will be funny?

Swamp boy
06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
No harm done:D. I would like to see this though. Dont think I would run it. Aint up to high enough speeds yet. Low 1teens for now. Would be interesteing to see some of these guys fly.:cheers:

Fl Boy in ILL
06-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Joe

How long a distance to run? How will you messure the speed? What type of rescue will be there? Do you have a date set yet? There are some very fast top end boats 120's and up to well we know Dixon has set the mark 150!!! Its not for everyone me included, a good set up required or you could get hurt!!! I like fast and quick don't think I have the nads to go over 130!!

For all planning on running please remember SAFETY FIRST!! I do recommend that those running an open boat wear ballistic shorts, just ask Joe Perichessi!!!!

Rick

YELLOWSS
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
is this in SC..????? this would be cool to watch!!!!! i have nothing fast enough to run.

jphii
06-25-2008, 06:40 PM
OK guys, lets not get off track here. The site is in Georgia. As far as timing, as it stands right now it would be radar. Safety would be more than covered. Distance to be determined. Safety would be the FIRST priority. After that, safety would be the NEXT priority too. We have have very happy with the safety crews we (we means the ECDBA) has had so far this year. If we do this in conjunction with the ECDBA, once again, safety would be our FIRST priority. It is in the (very) preliminary stages right now.

What I am trying to do here is find out who would be up for this event. We already have 6 races this year and don't really want to add a seventh unless we can bring something VERY SPECIAL to the table. The Top Speed deal would happen for one reason and one reason only: To see who can put up the biggest number. No money (unless someone wants to put up some), just the knowledge that you are the fastest there and maybe a cheezy plaque for your efforts.

YELLOWSS
06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
sounds awesome!!!!!

Swamp boy
06-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Joe keep us updated on the situation with this. Would like to attend. Hell I'll run but I'll only spin in the 1teens but if thats what it takes to get things started I'm for it.

Then again I did notice a 34 clever for sale on here today so that would pick up a few mph.:D

David

jphii
06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Joe keep us updated on the situation with this. Would like to attend. Hell I'll run but I'll only spin in the 1teens but if thats what it takes to get things started I'm for it.

Then again I did notice a 34 clever for sale on here today so that would pick up a few mph.:D

David

We've got people that are working on getting the permit process started. If the wildlife guys are good to go then it will be time to make a decision between a couple of sites. I'll have a better idea of how it's going to go after the Kingston race.

I'll run too. I know I'm not gonna be the top dog, but a chance to try for a big number with a real safety crew there is something I wouldn't pass up!!

YELLOWSS
06-28-2008, 02:15 PM
i would like to run as well.... i might be able to hit the high teens with the big motor.... it would be a chance to go for it with a safty crew there!!!!! the only negative is the teens will look slow compared to 130 to 150..LOL

Eric T
06-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Whats the Entry Fee for the top speed runs ?

Way2slow on H2O
07-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Any Boat???

Ronnie

mirage243
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Any Boat???

Ronnie

Hey Ronnie, Strap that juice motor on a piece of plywood and I'll come watch you run.

jphii
07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Any Boat???

Ronnie

Any outboard.

Eric T
07-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Do we need to join the club to run? Is there a Entry Fee? , I might be able to get someone to tow my broke ass down there, sounds like fun.

jphii
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
No need to join the club, it wouldn't be a "sanctioned" deal. Just run in conjunction with an ECDBA event. Depends on what the safety crew would charge on the entry fee. I'm thinkin that since there hasn't been one for a while it would be kinda nice to put one together and see the big dogs run.

Eric T
07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Does the ECDBA require saftey capsule training or air systems, those two things i still have to get, I am hopeing to get that stuff soon. I would like to go .

jphii
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Nope, not required. Highly recommended though if it is applicable to your boat.

Eric T
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I have been running my tunnel boats for years without air and training but it is a good thing to have, I still might be able to get it by then, Thanks

Way2slow on H2O
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey Ronnie, Strap that juice motor on a piece of plywood and I'll come watch you run.

Bill, if I can get the video of this last run i'll post it. It launched so hard the hull was sideways, lol... the crowd got to see the full bottom of the boat (not to mention make their heart skip a beat)

Blew both head gaskets on the launch and took out #2 before the 660', lost #4 around the 800' and still ran 10.30 @ 99.78 after lifting twice. When i say lifting, i mean letting off the juice AND lifting the throttle to get it back on the water. The prop would let go every time i sprayed it and rev WELL over 10,000 so I couldn't even make a 1/4 track pass on the juice. It feels good to finally make some power.!!!

mirage243
07-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Bill, if I can get the video of this last run i'll post it. It launched so hard the hull was sideways, lol... the crowd got to see the full bottom of the boat (not to mention make their heart skip a beat)

Blew both head gaskets on the launch and took out #2 before the 660', lost #4 around the 800' and still ran 10.30 @ 99.78 after lifting twice. When i say lifting, i mean letting off the juice AND lifting the throttle to get it back on the water. The prop would let go every time i sprayed it and rev WELL over 10,000 so I couldn't even make a 1/4 track pass on the juice. It feels good to finally make some power.!!!

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see it run. It looks like were coming to Marble Falls, are you gonna be there?

Way2slow on H2O
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Bill, I'm planning on makin it. I've gotta get 3 sleeves put in and find a set of pistons, lol...

Ronnie

apdcop7106
07-16-2008, 07:33 AM
sounds like fun

jphii
07-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Just a little update. Looks like it has a very good chance of happening. A 1 1/2 mile stretch should be plenty of room I'm thinkin. We've used the safety crew before, and some of them have champ boat experience so safety shouldn't be an issue. I'm working on getting the local sheriffs for radar. All of the support people are ones who have worked with us before, and they are all top notch. Thinkin maybe mid October.

Look at the pic. A mile for the run and a half a mile for shutdown. Whattaya think?

http://i38.tinypic.com/xcsx3t.jpg

mirage243
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Joe, How deep is it there?

jphii
07-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I think it may be about 30' out in the middle. I should be able to find out.

MTOLLEY
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
what body of water is that?

jphii
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Actually it's a top secret site in Tennessee;)

Instigator
07-26-2008, 06:08 PM
my junk running by then and would be a hoot!

Running Parker in October too though so not sure if I can get two hall passes from the General in the same month ;)

jphii
07-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, I'm going to Parker too. You could always come up here, then we could head to the "super secret race & top speed site" for a big weekend of racing and general hell raiising. Then we head to LA to get Rex, Bobby, and LT. We could leave our boats & your truck at Freddie's house in AL on the way down since I'm towing the lil bote out west with my truck. Do Parker, then come back and bug Freddie for a couple of days.

Sounds like a plan to me:thumbsup:

Instigator
07-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm going to Parker too. You could always come up here, then we could head to the "super secret race & top speed site" for a big weekend of racing and general hell raiising. Then we head to LA to get Rex, Bobby, and LT. We could leave our boats & your truck at Freddie's house in AL on the way down since I'm towing the lil bote out west with my truck. Do Parker, then come back and bug Freddie for a couple of days.

Sounds like a plan to me:thumbsup:

Sounds like we need to talk.

jphii
07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Call me any time: 252.717.2303

jphii
09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Update: I'm going to scout a new site in Georgia on Thursday. Looks like we are going to try and make it happen at an ECDBA race weekend next season.

graynester
09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
plenty of time to make plans.get some fl boys to go.B:cheers::reddevil::D:iagree::rolleyes::iagree::):thumbsup:

jphii
09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
We're getting closer to making it happen. Long day today, but well worth it:thumbsup:

panhauling
09-28-2008, 01:24 PM
joe looked at topspeed site (AKA)(top secret) it is 1 mile long by google earth measure.

Fish
09-29-2008, 06:07 AM
any date set yet or did I miss it in an earlier post?

jphii
09-29-2008, 08:41 AM
June 09.

df300ssnibbster
11-06-2008, 10:23 PM
New to this, could somebody tell me the classes,rules, and other information I would need to know about running in the Top End Shootouts? I have a addition to speed, thats right I am admiting to being a addict! That is 1st step is admiting it is'nt it!!! The only cure I see in my future is this, Hammer Down, and when in doubt Trim it Out. You have to Stay in it to win it, letting off the gas is not a option...No Guts, No Glory!!!

gsxrtodd
11-07-2008, 12:09 AM
You guys need to start using progressive contollers with your nos set ups. If you are using a single or double stage system that hits all at once that is flinstone tecnoligy. With a progressive controller you pick how much horse power you want when you are all in. Then you figure out what you think you can leave on. When the box is activated by the switch on the trotle it starts the timer and you can ramp the nos in as slow or as fast as you want(the build time) set it for 4 seconds and it will go from your start percentage to full hp in 4 seconds. I have a Mustang I run in street car shootouts on radial tires that runs 8.50's @ 170mph thats spraying 500 hp theres no way you could spray all that at once this way you bring it in gradully over the coarse of the pass. It seems like I spent a million dollars learning what I now about nos. If I could give you any info or help let me know I would be glad to explain how it works. I wish somebody would have told me about 20 years ago.

jphii
11-07-2008, 09:25 AM
New to this, could somebody tell me the classes,rules, and other information I would need to know about running in the Top End Shootouts?

2 classes, one for V bottoms and of for tunnels and hydros. Single outboard motor. Read all about it HERE (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170706)

tinker060
11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Well heck....no one told me you can't turn on tons of HP at one time. Guess what I have been ddoing all along is wrong. N20 comparison between cars and boats is night and day. What the hell do people race for if they leave all the driving to timers and PCs? Can you guess what the simple answer is? Look Maw ............................................................

Jon Wright

mirage243
11-07-2008, 04:26 PM
New to this, could somebody tell me the classes,rules, and other information I would need to know about running in the Top End Shootouts? I have a addition to speed, thats right I am admiting to being a addict! That is 1st step is admiting it is'nt it!!! The only cure I see in my future is this, Hammer Down, and when in doubt Trim it Out. You have to Stay in it to win it, letting off the gas is not a option...No Guts, No Glory!!!

No canoe's

E-tec1
11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
A barge??????:eek:

jphii
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Well heck....no one told me you can't turn on tons of HP at one time. Guess what I have been ddoing all along is wrong. N20 comparison between cars and boats is night and day. What the hell do people race for if they leave all the driving to timers and PCs? Can you guess what the simple answer is? Look Maw ............................................................

Jon Wright

Hey Jon, you gonna give the Shootout a shot?

tinker060
11-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Joe, Yes, it sounds like something that would be fun. Never really strung the little boat out so it would be neat to see how it handles big speeds. Also, be a chance to unwind the OMC. Will have to see how the latest project comes along.

Jon Wright

Way2slow on H2O
11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Joe, Yes, it sounds like something that would be fun. Never really strung the little boat out so it would be neat to see how it handles big speeds. Also, be a chance to unwind the OMC. Will have to see how the latest project comes along.

Jon Wright

:thumbsup: I'll be there

Ronnie

gsxrtodd
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Jon WrightWasnt looking for a smart ass responce I was acually trying to give somebody some great info. If your never willing to learn people like you will always be looking at my ass. But I guess I should be use to it everytime I try to give some good info some body has to say somthing smart just to here there self talk. Its the new technoligy and if your not using it you are slow end of story.

clamponracing
11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Will there be a place that a spectator can watch the top end of the run and not just the start?

mirage243
11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Wasnt looking for a smart ass responce I was acually trying to give somebody some great info. If your never willing to learn people like you will always be looking at my ass. But I guess I should be use to it everytime I try to give some good info some body has to say somthing smart just to here there self talk. Its the new technoligy and if your not using it you are slow end of story.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Jon Wright has the fastest 1/4 mile outboard in the country. I'd be willing to bet that he forgot more about Outboards and Nitrous than you'll ever know.

The next time you call somebody slow, you need to know WTF your talking about.

tinker060
11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Well guess I am slow but you post your quarter mile times and speed and I will do the same. Technolgy is great if thats your thing. For me, it takes all the fun and effort out of driving and set up.

Jon Wright

Way2slow on H2O
11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Its the new technoligy and if your not using it you are slow end of story.

Slow??? not Jon, lmao....

I'm using a nitrous controller, nitrous pressure regulator, a computer assisted timing device, have 2 stages on seperate bottles, and I still don't have bragging rights :thumbsup: but I'm fast, real fast!!!!

My hats off to you Mr. Flintstone (aka Tinker060)

Ronnie

tinker060
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Your getting there Ronnie. Keep at it.

Sorry Joe Got the thread off track. My bad! Have to play in the sand box. every once in awhile. The truth is I would use all that stuff but am so old I forget to turn them on!

Jon Wright

gsxrtodd
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Jon Wright has the fastest 1/4 mile outboard in the country. I'd be willing to bet that he forgot more about Outboards and Nitrous than you'll ever know.

The next time you call somebody slow, you need to know WTF your talking about.There is no way he knows more about nos than me. And im not trying to get in a pissing match here but it aint a outboard but I would be willing to run my drag boat againt him any time. He started this by being a no it all smartass. I was just trying to turn somone on to somthing that rally works. But if you want to start a pissing match I am possitive I am just as smart or more so when it comes to nos. I have spent alot of money learning over the last 20 years and just because you all know each other dont think for a minute there aint boat that are not running your races that are not way fast. I am not trying to be a dick but you are making me defend myself. And not to be cocky but whether it is cars boats bikes some things are relavent and this is somthing that has put my boat way into the 8 second range at 135 so if he can out run that he is bad and he can back up that mouth if not then I guess I win. Sorry I had to break alittle bit but I try to help anyone I can but when somebody tries to make me look stupid I will play and I will play hard, Todd

gsxrtodd
11-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Well guess I am slow but you post your quarter mile times and speed and I will do the same. Technolgy is great if thats your thing. For me, it takes all the fun and effort out of driving and set up.

Jon Wright8.35 @ 135 that might not be enough for you but I will bet if you want to get serious I can do better.

Mark75H
11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you better get to work ...

gsxrtodd
11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Slow??? not Jon, lmao....

I'm using a nitrous controller, nitrous pressure regulator, a computer assisted timing device, have 2 stages on seperate bottles, and I still don't have bragging rights :thumbsup: but I'm fast, real fast!!!!

My hats off to you Mr. Flintstone (aka Tinker060)

RonnieI was just trying to help, I will not make that mistake again Im sorry were I come from it was a nice thing to do, Wow im really disapointed whith some of these guys.

patchesII
11-08-2008, 08:29 PM
can't we all just get along. :cheers:. todd i realize you were just trying to be helpful. i for one would like to know why a progressive controller won't work. i have all the respect in the world for jon wright and i'm sure he could enlighten us. as far as you knowing more about nitrous than jon, i don't know. but i do know his boat is deep in the 7's at well over 150. i got to see it run at sitc and it's a sight to behold.

gsxrtodd
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
can't we all just get along. :cheers:. todd i realize you were just trying to be helpful. i for one would like to know why a progressive controller won't work. i have all the respect in the world for jon wright and i'm sure he could enlighten us. as far as you knowing more about nitrous than jon, i don't know. but i do know his boat is deep in the 7's at well over 150. i got to see it run at sitc and it's a sight to behold.I was just tryig to be helpful I realy was just trying to be helpful but if he wants to be a dck tried to be a nice guy. But O guess its more important to look like a knoe it all, I by no means to try to be a ass hole just trying to give some helpfull info, But that beeing said we can line up a money run and I will pull all the b,s hall lets do it I will bring my best bring your best and will bet im notscared let me know and we will line it up.

Way2slow on H2O
11-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Todd, at the risk of sounding like a dum ass or uneducated here, pertaining to progressive nitrous controllers, nitrous computers, and anything else a car uses to control acceleration, at what point does it help a boat??? Off the line, mid range, top end? I've spent a ton of money on these mentioned things and I'm disappointed in my investment. I'm currently running my nitrous at 100% right out of the gate so it looks to me the high dollar electronic add-ons were a waste of money.

I'm surrounded by friends that have cars from fast street to Pro Mod monsters (not even talking about the top fuel buddies) and can't begin to count the boat buddies and racers that have car motors in their boats, but it's NOT the same with an outboard. I've listened to their set-ups, advice, what works for them, and everything in between so I speak with experience when it comes to spending money.

In "bracket" racing (SDBA for me) a controller is nice to "dial in" an ET. But, when it comes to making an outboard run 8 seconds in a 1/4, you're tryin to get every ounce of power it can deliver, so the controller will be set at 100% anyway, lol... the window switch will be set at the lowest rpm so there's no waste of time injesting the nitrous right on the start. A nitrous pressure regulator is a good investment to obtain a constant pressure, along with a bottle warmer and pressure switch. If you know as much about nitrous as you say you do, then you'll agree the bottle pressure needs to be 1070 psi @ 97* for optimum performance (to remain liquid, above that it turns to gas and below 760 @ 70*it turns to gas). You can't tune the motor to nitrous if you can't stay within these parameters can you?

Any outboard that can run in the 8 second bracket in 1/4 mile is fast, dayum fast. I currently only know of 1, not saying there's not a few more, and I would love for them to step up to the plate and make a show at an event. I know of several 9 second outboards, and a few of those have tried to run 8's but couldn't get low enough. I personally can't see anyone with an outboard wanting to go any faster than low to mid 90's so therefore I run a hydro in the 11 second bracket, but it still looks fast, and chiks dig it!!! :D:D:D

Ronnie

patchesII
11-09-2008, 06:51 AM
:thumbsup:thats the answer i wanted. i know nothing about the way ya'll run a boat ronnie and my feeble mind couldn't understand until it was explained to me. now, back to the s**t talking:p see you in a couple of weeks

tinker060
11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
As much as I like a good pissing match this thing has gotten out of control and we need to get off the subject. Please...............

GSXRtodd - I agree, you know more about nitrous and your boat is faster than mine. My response to your note was on the smart-ass side. You have my apologies. With that said, if you want to race, no problem as long as it is at a site that has timing clocks and speed traps. I suggest SMITC. It's a great race and race site. See you there.

That's it for me on this subject.

Jon Wright

gsxrtodd
11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Todd, at the risk of sounding like a dum ass or uneducated here, pertaining to progressive nitrous controllers, nitrous computers, and anything else a car uses to control acceleration, at what point does it help a boat??? Off the line, mid range, top end? I've spent a ton of money on these mentioned things and I'm disappointed in my investment. I'm currently running my nitrous at 100% right out of the gate so it looks to me the high dollar electronic add-ons were a waste of money.

I'm surrounded by friends that have cars from fast street to Pro Mod monsters (not even talking about the top fuel buddies) and can't begin to count the boat buddies and racers that have car motors in their boats, but it's NOT the same with an outboard. I've listened to their set-ups, advice, what works for them, and everything in between so I speak with experience when it comes to spending money.

In "bracket" racing (SDBA for me) a controller is nice to "dial in" an ET. But, when it comes to making an outboard run 8 seconds in a 1/4, you're tryin to get every ounce of power it can deliver, so the controller will be set at 100% anyway, lol... the window switch will be set at the lowest rpm so there's no waste of time injesting the nitrous right on the start. A nitrous pressure regulator is a good investment to obtain a constant pressure, along with a bottle warmer and pressure switch. If you know as much about nitrous as you say you do, then you'll agree the bottle pressure needs to be 1070 psi @ 97* for optimum performance (to remain liquid, above that it turns to gas and below 760 @ 70*it turns to gas). You can't tune the motor to nitrous if you can't stay within these parameters can you?

Any outboard that can run in the 8 second bracket in 1/4 mile is fast, dayum fast. I currently only know of 1, not saying there's not a few more, and I would love for them to step up to the plate and make a show at an event. I know of several 9 second outboards, and a few of those have tried to run 8's but couldn't get low enough. I personally can't see anyone with an outboard wanting to go any faster than low to mid 90's so therefore I run a hydro in the 11 second bracket, but it still looks fast, and chiks dig it!!! :D:D:D

RonnieI was only trying to tell somthing that worked for mein my boat and not trying to be a know it all and im sorry it came across like that but I felt insulted and I bit back. Thanks for your honest opionion. Todd

mirage243
11-09-2008, 02:38 PM
GSXRTODD,

I'm done with this one too, but if you think you got the fastest outboard on the planet, bring your ass to Smokin in the Cove next year. Bring as much cash as your mouth can stand also. My money's on Jon Wright, and don't bring five dollars neither.

You need to write a book on NOS, sound to me like you invented the sh*t.

By the way, where did you run these 8.30's at 135?

gsxrtodd
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
GSXRTODD,

I'm done with this one too, but if you think you got the fastest outboard on the planet, bring your ass to Smokin in the Cove next year. Bring as much cash as your mouth can stand also. My money's on Jon Wright, and don't bring five dollars neither.

You need to write a book on NOS, sound to me like you invented the sh*t.

By the way, where did you run these 8.30's at 135?I was trying to give a helpful opinion thinking I was being nice and maybee it would help him whith his issue, that is how this started. John thought he would try to make me sound like a idiot so I tried to let him know I didnt think I know it all but I was not a idot either. Lets ship all the pissing and moning and get to the point. I did not say my boat was a out board that I was running in the quarter, pay attention, But it is a pond boat with number an I know it will kick your ass and dont worry this is defenently my first rodeo so when I come to play you worry about how strong your whallet is not your buddy yours load mouth. I thought this would be a nice way to meet new people whit I got into outbards I could learn new things meet new people and have a fun time. Forget that you have made me decide to finish what bus. I have on here and be done whith it. You are a punk! plain out im sorry if I affended anyone else I will sell my eleminator as soon as I can so I can hang out whith a little nicer crowd.

gsxrtodd
11-09-2008, 09:07 PM

RonnieWhat it does is instead of whe you press the button and it hits all at once insted af that you can ramp it in to keep from shocking the prop. and thast the same as not spinning your tires. And yust so ya know im doing it and it is working good.

Way2slow on H2O
11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Todd, that's exactly why I tried the controller, to ramp up the juice and not explode it all at once. When running a big gear case with larger diameter prop and a lot of cup, the torque from a 200 shot all at once would "roll" the boat to the point of having to "lift" on the button to get it under control, even at 80+ mph and hitting it, the torque would still roll it. I've since gone to a speedmaster with small diameter props and the torque is not there. With no apparent torque, I can hit 2 stages off the line full blast and hold on, it's "better than sex" acceleration.

I see what you're saying as far as "ramping" the nos for high speed runs, which would be different from drag racing with nos. For a high speed run you'd be using a bigger wheel and the blast of nos would cause a disturbance in handeling as opposed to gradually coming into it. I tried the controller today for a 1/2 mile run and set at 20% initially and increasing to 100% in 6 seconds it didn't make the boat get stupid. So yes, it does make a difference, a BIG difference. Unfortunately, the nose was running too high for comfort and without a safety crew present, I chose to limit the top end speeds to <120 mph. I WAS able to drive it with one hand while adjusting the steamwheel with the other. :cheers:

Ronnie

gsxrtodd
11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
What you did on that big blast was what I was hoping you could try in the 1/4 mile but boats like women they all like diffrent things and throw diffrent curves at you. I had luck using one on my drag boat and hve just started playing with it on my outboard but I also was ramping it through about 4-10's of a mile. If you dont mind me asking how much prop where you running im trying to figure something out. Thank you Todd

Way2slow on H2O
11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Props: 24 yamaha, 28 Hoss, 30 yamaha, they all ran different and each would pull hard on the launch and torque the boat over on its side. They all have major cup to bite with the nitrous. 1:87 gears in the big gear case.

Ronnie

Cobra1racer
11-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Props: 24 yamaha, 28 Hoss, 30 yamaha, they all ran different and each would pull hard on the launch and torque the boat over on its side. They all have major cup to bite with the nitrous. 1:87 gears in the big gear case.

Ronnie

Ronnie, you all need to cough up that spare Kaase you have. I'll trade you a new tunnel for it. 2009 bare hull. Well what do you say???

Way2slow on H2O
11-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Ronnie, you all need to cough up that spare Kaase you have. I'll trade you a new tunnel for it. 2009 bare hull. Well what do you say???

Oh now that I'm gettin it dialed in you wanna take it from me??? :leaving: Where were you at when I was blowin motors faster than I could drink a beer??? 2 months ago i would have brought it to Arizona for a 12 pack!!!! :cheers:

Ronnie

gsxrtodd
11-10-2008, 08:24 PM

RonnieDo you think aeuro will be posible getting int some respectable numbers I an looking to put a bootle fed 280 on a hull just ror this kind of shoutout I have all electronics just love thr euro and if it will do it say 135 to 140 I know I want win first time out but I would love to make a good showing. I will probally weigh about 160 at time. I know my eliminator will not do it it gets real scarey at 111 on gas. What do you think. THanks

panhauling
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
please start you own thread, this one is for the high speed shoot out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gsxrtodd
11-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I m going to but a top end shoot out hull thats what im tryig t find outwhat I rally want, Just becuuse of the little stuff that went on here im shoouting for the moon, imput much appreciate.

Michael Dixon
11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I've driven a Euro to 129 several years ago and Helmut here has been faster than that. I personally think the surface area of the deck is one of the major setbacks of this hull. At speed air is pushing the deck down requiring more trim to keep the same attitude. A river rocket doesnt require up trim until close to 140 to offset air pressure on the deck. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there have only been a handful of Euro's break 120. Almost every river rocket will do it with a drag motor. I drove a Triad River Rocket 2004 model to 118 with a stock 260. Good luck picking out a hull and make sure to bring it to the Top End Shootout..

Bruce Washburn
11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
If you are just going to go for a big top end number a Hydro would be the way to go. A big Pugh Hydro, with a remote rudder, speedmaster and a capsule just in case would be my choice. I think Sherlock averaged 150+ with a 2.4 in the mid 1980's in Morehaven. This was an average speed both ways over 5/8 of a mile. I am sure that the top end was over 160 at some point during the run. There was an attempt several years later in the same boat where the boat crashed and the driver was killed. It was suspected that the skeg had broke and caused the crash. That is the reason why I would suggest the remote rudder. The capsule would be a good idea too if you like life. At high speed there is a lot more side load than you would think on a skeg. I would think a good hydro set up to run top end with a decent drag motor on a speed master should be able to run into the mid to upper 160's with a little set up and that would be with out any juice. If you are stretching it out the other hint is to watch the water pressure. As the numbers come up the boat will lift if you loose water pressure a seized engine on a hydro at speed would really suck. If you could keep it on the water I can only think of how fast Wrights hydro would be capable of on the juice with a big prop.

Bruce Washburn

gsxrtodd
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I just want a lakeable boat to do it inI guess I need to call the guys st triad and use my power. I guess thats what I will do does anyone have a name and number. Thankyou:leaving:

patchesII
11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
stv's are built by jack barsh now at full throttle powerboats in florida. somebody will post a number

Cobra1racer
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh now that I'm gettin it dialed in you wanna take it from me??? :leaving: Where were you at when I was blowin motors faster than I could drink a beer??? 2 months ago i would have brought it to Arizona for a 12 pack!!!! :cheers:

Ronnie

You're just a tease. I'll get you a Kegg. :D

Tango
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Just bring whatever you have and run it... I will have my STV ModVP with a Drag mota and an assortment of wheels to see what she'll do. Don't forget the $1000 purse just for the Long Distance awards. All you Yankees and Texas Boyz hook the trailers up and lets rock & roll!

Da Bull
11-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Don`t see anything about the top end shot out on the ECDBA site. Did it ever happen?

DB

jphii
11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
June 6, 2009.

SPECTRE racing
11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
i think we should divide it up in classes. different hull types with different power classes. this would make it possible for us v-bottoms,and other types and sizes to compete. i will be willing to come compete against 21 superboat like hulls.:thumbsup:

jphii
11-29-2008, 11:56 AM
i think we should divide it up in classes. different hull types with different power classes. this would make it possible for us v-bottoms,and other types and sizes to compete. i will be willing to come compete against 21 superboat like hulls.:thumbsup:

We can have whatever classes you want, as long as someone puts up prize money for the class.

GPRACING
12-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Could a tunnel vee run in the v bottom class?????