PDA

View Full Version : Please Advise on Pin-stripping Galv. Trailer

Mark Sievers
05-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I have an 07' rig with a galvanized trailer. I want to add pin-stripping to the trailer to improve the look but I know I have to clean it first, probably with vinegar. Any advice on surface prep or what type of pin-stripping to purchase? I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/imagesSF/misc/progress.gif

Fast Fig
06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Quite frankly I don't think anything you do will really help much, due to the texture of the galvanic coat.
If you paint them on what technique would you use it would be nearly impossible to mask because of the texture and pin striping tape or decals don't stick rite either.
Can't say there is a sure fire method.
I'll keep my eye on this thread cause I have a couple galvanized trailers myself that are structurally sound, yet not too aesthetically pleasing.
Good luck, hope someone else can shed some light on this matter.
Peace!FIG

Mark Sievers
09-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I finally got around to pin-striping my galvanized trailer. I simply pressure washed it really well, let it dry, then hand rubbed it with a "000" fine steel wool just to ensure there was no surface dirt or grit. I purchased matching blue 3M pin stripes from a local auto/paint supply store and carefully applied it to the trailer. Looks great and so far has held up quite well. Just avoid too much direct force from the pressure washer or car wash. It really enhanced the look of the rather boring galvanized trailer. :cheers: