PDA

View Full Version : IHBA and SLDBA Drivers- New Rules

mirage243
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
If you are a IHBA driver or are running the Augusta race for SLDBA points, please check the IHBA website. All boats will be required to have battery disconnect switches installed for 2008, and all boats whether open or capsuled will be required to have radio receivers for drivers. All the requirements are listed on the website, www.ihbaracing.com (http://www.ihbaracing.com) P.S. I will be selling Perko switches at the races for $400.00 a piece, battery cable for $175.00 a foot, and terminal ends for $50.00 a piece. All proceeds will benefit HENDERSON MOTORSPORTS and Conklin Racing.

stoker2001
03-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Ya,i just got wind of it and it pisses me off
Dont get me wrong,i am all for safety
But having to have a disconect within drivers reach is gonna be a major PIA and not cheap or practical IMHO
Then this rediculous radio thing for "open boats":confused:
Crude just hit $106 a barrel:mad:
You cant find gas here in Caly for less then $3.50
I just paid 3.89 for 91 octane
sorry,just had to vent

mirage243
03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
But having to have a disconect within drivers reach is gonna be a major PIA and not cheap or practical IMHO
sorry,just had to vent
I feel your pain, I'm all for safety, but I don't see the radio in the open boat thing, I understand it for capsules. As far as the battery cut-off goes, I have always had them in my boats anyway, I like the option of killing power myself, not so much for the safety aspect, but to save expensive electronics in case of a short. ECM's and such have got real expensive lately.

Rocket
03-09-2008, 08:16 AM
sorry,just had to vent

What is the REAL purpose of the radios anyways? :confused: At SDBA,,, Our starter can talk to us just fine... once the boats are fired,, the lights tell us what to do from there!!! :cool:

IMHO, it Seems like just another expence to keep new guys from joining the sport!:eek:

And while were on the subject,, what's the REAL reason for the battery shut off too? :confused: Just wondering.............

Ray Neudecker
03-09-2008, 08:42 AM
The last I heard the battery cutoff switch must be reachable from the outside by safety personel. If you are running a Merc EFI and don't already have one, you should. It will save you a lot of hassels in the long run.
Ever watched a motor trim itself clear into the race fairing when it rained hard?
The radios must be for Charlie F's retirement fund. No mention of the rental cost for the racers who may only make one IHBA race because it is a co-points race.

stoker2001
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Ray,I assume you need/should cut power when storing EFI motors?
guess i have been lucky as i have been running EFI for close to twenty years and have never had any probs without any disconect

mirage101
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
SLDBA drivers not running IHBA points need only comply with

full face helmet in Pro Mod and buy fuel at race site.

Regards Ron

Rocket
03-10-2008, 07:24 AM
The last I heard the battery cutoff switch must be reachable from the outside by safety personel. If you are running a Merc EFI and don't already have one, you should. It will save you a lot of hassels in the long run.
Ever watched a motor trim itself clear into the race fairing when it rained hard?
The radios must be for Charlie F's retirement fund. No mention of the rental cost for the racers who may only make one IHBA race because it is a co-points race.

Ray,, its also my understanding that they want it with in the reach of the Driver????:confused: :eek:

I've always had a cut off to the electronics on outboards, I just don't really see why its a race rule...................

I concure about the CF retirement fund!:(

Ray Neudecker
03-10-2008, 08:07 AM
It would be nice if IHBA actually posted the complete rules changes on their website instead of having to go to a dozen different message boards to get everyone's interpetation of the rule.

mirage243
03-10-2008, 08:11 AM
It would be nice if IHBA actually posted the complete rules changes on their website instead of having to go to a dozen different message boards to get everyone's interpetation of the rule.
Ray, it's posted in it's entirety on the site, but it is confusing to find. You have to go several different places to find it all.

ALLISOMAN280
03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
does this mean if you come race (i dont care about points) i will have to install one of these switches on my boat to collect purse????

mirage243
03-10-2008, 09:56 AM
If it's an IHBA race you will have to have one or you can't even run, much less collect purse. If you run S/E at an IHBA race that I'm at, whether you collect the purse or not will be up to me. I'll see you at Augusta.

mmassm
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
So much for going to Augusta ! Whats the alternate race for SLDBA points Ft Worth?? The only thing IHBA has ever cared about was the fuelers and pro mods and gas !

Sam Baker
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I would double check that as well. When I ran there a couple years back, I ran as an SLDBA member - not an IHBA member - and didn't have to comply with those kinds of rules. They accepted us as SLDBA members (membership and rules). This would make the decision for me as far as not making that trip. I have a pleasure boat and don't feel the need to cut up the cockpit in order to have a battery switch within reach.

mirage101
03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
SLDBA is tennatively planning a race at Choteau, OK. on

August 16th & 17th as a replacement for Oklahoma City.

Fl Boy in ILL
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Well I don't think it has ben officially decided on what we ( SLDBA) will do for sure, I emailed Fred tonight to try to get clarification, I thinks as of now its either Augusta or Ft Worth for the 5th points race but Choteau, OK may replace either of those?????? Just waiting for official word and choices

Rick

Rocket
03-12-2008, 06:24 AM
So much for going to Augusta ! Whats the alternate race for SLDBA points Ft Worth?? The only thing IHBA has ever cared about was the fuelers and pro mods and gas !

Yeah,, Come on down to Ft. Worth!!!

SDBA dose'nt have anyof those "Rules"!! :eek: About the only thing that we might have is Helmet restraints for ALL class's!

SDBA Cares about ALL of the racers from PWC & River Racers to theTFH's and everyone in between! :D

Sam Baker
03-12-2008, 12:42 PM
SLDBA members would not have to run the IHBA rules (radios, etc.) at Augusta. Although, I'm confused about their "designated track fuel." Here is the response from IHBA:

HI Sam,

We have an agreement with SLDBA where at an SLDBA/IHBA co sanctioned event, SLDBA members can run SLDBA regulations. The exclusions to this are: all Pro Mod drivers must wear full face helmets and all racers must run the designated track fuel.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you for contacting us with your questions.

Have a great day!

Nancy Fegan

ALLISOMAN280
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
so this means i can run augusta and not have to have a battery cutoff correct!!! (I'm not cutting any holes in my drag boat for 1 race)

Sam Baker
03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
If you're an SLDBA member (or any other club that they have that agreement with) that's correct. If you normally run ODBA and you want to run there, you will have to ask them. I would think they would let you slide for one race, but don't go down there without verifying it ahead of time and getting it in writing.

bill mason
03-13-2008, 05:27 AM
I just received an e-mail from their race director, I will forward it to you Sam. He says ALL racers regardless have to have battery cut off and radios?? He says you can rent the radios?

Rocket
03-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I just received an e-mail from their race director, I will forward it to you Sam. He says ALL racers regardless have to have battery cut off and radios?? He says you can rent the radios?

Here's a copy of the E-mail Guys & Gals>

All boats with the exception of PWC need to have the radios and the cut-off switch.

As far as the cut-off switch goes if you go to www.flamingriver.com you will see a couple of versions that come with a mounting bracket (it does not have to be these switches - just using as an example). The "L" bracket should be mounted along the splash rail with the handle up so that the switch is easy to see and rescue could reach it without having to stick hands or heads in to find it. Your local boat supply place or parts warehouse should also have them. It must be placed on the positive side of the wiring.

And The posting on the IHBA website states the following:

"An electrical power cut off switch (one only) must be installed near the batteries and be easily accessible from the outside of the boat. This cut off switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions. The "OFF" position must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If the switch is a push/pull type, "push" must be the action for shutting off the electrical system. (Pull to turn it on.) Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be a minimum of 1/8 inch diameter. Plastic or key switches prohibited. The power cut off switch must be placed in a location so if there's a fire in the engine, drivers area or compartment, rescue crew or track officials can reach it."

FYI

ALLISOMAN280
03-13-2008, 07:38 AM
thanks guys!!! that saves me a wasted trip to augusta. yall have fun and be good

mirage243
03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I can't believe that a battery switch rule would keep someone from racing. Just put the damn thing on and let's go racing. If you are going to not race because of a battery switch rule, send me your address and I'll ship you one free of charge.

Sam Baker
03-13-2008, 10:51 AM
It's also the radio. That's something I'll never use anywhere else. We need to do whatever possible to REDUCE the barriers to racing. So, adding more and more requirements makes it tougher and tougher to get somebody new to a race. I think it's great that IHBA is open to working with other clubs and new racers. So, I would give them a call or send them an e-mail (they were really responsive to my e-mail). Then you can go race. Augusta is a great race and hopefully there'll be a lot of boats there.

ALLISOMAN280
03-14-2008, 07:36 AM
its not the $$ of the switch its the fact of having to drill a hole in the boat to try a different style of racing and then on top of that having to buy a radio again to try a new style of racing ill just stick to the odba and ecdba!! thanks anyway guys

BrentShaw
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Come to one of our SLDBA races, plenty of outboards there to help you out.

Brent

ALLISOMAN280
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
where is a schedule of the sldba races and locations:D

mirage243
03-14-2008, 05:24 PM
www.sldba.org (http://www.sldba.org) hope this help's, we would love to have more outboards and you would love this style of racing, payout's are good. I should also mention Kentucky Drag Boat Assoc. there website address is www.kdba.net (http://www.kdba.net) , good bunch of folks to race with.

Fl Boy in ILL
03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Brian

Get a hold of me and I'll help you all I can if you wqnt to try a rope race, would be neet to see you try it. Contact me here or my email is
conklinracing@sbcglobal.net

Rick

Sam Baker
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I sent back another e-mail to find out about single race racers. They did confirm that for Augusta, if you're an SLDBA member, because it's a co-sanctioned race, SLDBA members would NOT have to have the radio OR the battery switch. So, we're good as far as that goes. I'll let you know what they say about those that just want to run the one race.

Fl Boy in ILL
03-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Sammy

Thanks for the info, hopefully some of our ODBA/DSRA brothers and sisters might come try a rope race that could be close to them, I might try a ODBA race if its close enough and on a off weekend, I need to weigh my boat anyway, LOL

Rick

Rocket
03-15-2008, 07:27 AM
We need to do whatever possible to REDUCE the barriers to racing. So, adding more and more requirements makes it tougher and tougher to get somebody new to a race.

I second that Sam! The Sport needs to make it easy for guys who want to race can!!!! And not make rules that add cost,,,,,, just to get sponsors! :eek: (Did I say that?)

jphii
03-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I second that Sam! The Sport needs to make it easy for guys who want to race can!!!! And not make rules that add cost,,,,,, just to get sponsors! :eek:

That's why we have the ECDBA. Come on & race with us.

ALLISOMAN280
03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
yeah rick i will give ya a call later this week!! i use to bracket race cars so i understand the index stuff just need to work on some reaction times!!!lol with the price of gas and stuff i thought about running some more local stuff whether it is rope or heads up!! talk to yall later:D :D

thanks for the links to the sldba and kdba also

mirage243
03-17-2008, 08:54 AM
yeah rick i will give ya a call later this week!! i use to bracket race cars so i understand the index stuff just need to work on some reaction times!!!lol with the price of gas and stuff i thought about running some more local stuff whether it is rope or heads up!! talk to yall later:D :D

thanks for the links to the sldba and kdba also
Allisonman280, Rick is a great guy and always willing to help, he is very knowledgeable and a great ambasador for the sport. All the guy's that run outboards are and you will find any one of them will do any thing they can to help. We need more racers and if you have already bracket raced cars you will find the transition easy. After a couple runs at the lights you will figure that out easy enough also, come check it out and let me know if I can help. Bill