PDA

View Full Version : Who" got the baddest?

spujo
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Pound for pound, what racing association has the fastest outboards?
I would assume the ODBA Jasper race draws the cream from around the country with boats from diff associations so I guess it's the fastest single event????

jphii
01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Smokin in the Cove.

mmassm
01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Joe's right!! Smokin in the Cove. ODBA only brings out the racers that want that type of racing,but there are alot of very fast clamp on's that race other associations.It's all in style racing you like to do !! And having a good time as long as you're racing. Mike

boatmanhp
01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree, Smokin in the cove brings all the top outboards out.

Fl Boy in ILL
01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
SITC has some very fast outboards there but I think we need to include the ODBA Unlimited croud!!!! There are some very fast heavy hitters that run in that class, NOS fed Fully Modified outboards that can run anywhere!!!!

Rick

Sam Baker
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
ODBA Unlimited has the "Fastest" outboards. Unless a nitrous unlimited outboard shows up at the bracket races, nobody is running 130-140 in the quarter like ODBA unlimited has.

The world record is 7.52 seconds at 142 or something like that for an unlimited outboard in IHBA. That's DAMN fast for an outboard. Too bad we just don't see those run on a regular basis.

BrentShaw
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I would sure love to see some of those guys show up and run in the 8sec class.

Brent

worldchampuo
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I believe we were the only outboard to ever run the 8 second class (Pro Eliminator) off the rope and win (Cowtown Nationals in Fort Worth, Texas in 2003)........Don't think it has been done since either.......Not that I've heard of..........Logan
P.S. The fastest true Unlimited Outboard I have ever seen was Mr. John Wright.......IHBA Record holder 7.56 at 156mph......Also saw him run a 6.04 in 1000 ft at SITC last year and is the only Outboard to EVER qualify for the 6 sec. class at SITC. Mr. David Carver was always very fast when he was on his game with DSRA and ODBA. Currently there are several fast boats with ODBA....Mike Dixon, Jack Barsh, Ray Leach are some names that come to mind. Dewitt Deweese was always tough as well......And I believe there was an ole boy named Logan that won a couple of races "back in the day"......

stoker2001
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Kudos to you Mr Logan for that 2003 cowtown 8 second class victory
I am sure that to "present date" that you are the only outboarder that can claim this
I watched John Wright at the 2006 IHBA World Finals during qualifying on a record pass go 7.90ET while coasting thru the lights as the motor gave up at around the 850-950' marker
He told me that his ET recorded at the 1/8 mile was on record pace to beat his personel best of 7.56:eek:
We can talk about how fast Leach,Carver,Barsh and Dixon are,but tell they run on a course with real timing traps/photo beams.............

JTS Racing
01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
ODBA Unlimited has the "Fastest" outboards. Unless a nitrous unlimited outboard shows up at the bracket races, nobody is running 130-140 in the quarter like ODBA unlimited has.

ODBA has some fast nitrous boats but they are only fast with the spray and their rules are set to keep the real fast guys out. I run consistant 130 mph passes to stay in the 9's with NO spray and ran a 148 on the bottle at the lake with not the best of tune. Jim Dunn will turn it loose for 8.4's in the upper 130's with NO spray from time to time.

Outboard hydros are the badest of the bad, pound for pound, hp for hp, when set up properly. True tunnels are a very, very close second.

Now there use to be this guy named Logan that had it together but rumor has it he found a way to go faster without the bottle. :p ;) :D

Rusrog
01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
We can talk about how fast Leach,Carver,Barsh and Dixon are,but tell they run on a course with real timing traps/photo beams.............

And we can talk about how fast everyone is when they have a 125ft run at the starting line. God knows what a runnin' start does for your ET.
But I'm not gonna beat that horse cause it's never gonna get back on it's feet.

Those clamp on hydro's are brutally fast... For the money they are a hoot to watch when the water is slick.

Also.. the U-boats of ODBA are something to see. Logan, DeWeese, Barsh, Leach, Muldrow... And then Bobby Warren and now Talmadge Fittsimmonz driving Allisons. Hoply crap that stuff is exciting to watch. And they run from an idle start, in less than perfect water conditions and STILL lay down some VERY impressive performances.

Russ

Rusrog
01-24-2008, 09:37 PM
ODBA has some fast nitrous boats but they are only fast with the spray... Huh????

Ever hear of DeWitt DeWeese? Key Puckett ring any bells? Chuck Manuel? Galen Burden? Acie Stringfield? Monte Skinner? Mathew Caldwell??? Casey Gudgell? Shane Stovall??? Your right Jeff... Nuttin' but a bunch of cupcakes.

Without a bottle them boys can't hardly break one over on plane.

LOL!

stoker2001
01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
And we can talk about how fast everyone is when they have a 125ft run at the starting line. God knows what a runnin' start does for your ET.
But I'm not gonna beat that horse cause it's never gonna get back on it's feet.
Russ
God knows are times are precisely accurate cause the surveyed course has photoeye beams connected to a computer:D :D
Good point Russ on the running start,there is no doubt;)
Like you said it is a dead horse
Everyone of those guys i mentioned could smoke my arse like a cheap cigar:o

Freddie Webb
01-25-2008, 12:09 AM
There are rope races all over the country it's not that hard to get a time slip and post it.

JTS Racing
01-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Huh????

Ever hear of DeWitt DeWeese? Key Puckett ring any bells? Chuck Manuel? Galen Burden? Acie Stringfield? Monte Skinner? Mathew Caldwell??? Casey Gudgell? Shane Stovall??? Your right Jeff... Nuttin' but a bunch of cupcakes.

Without a bottle them boys can't hardly break one over on plane.

LOL!

Ain't it so cute when ODBA is mentioned all the banner wavers come running. Ya real good at speaking up and defending but not a very good listener or reader. The remarks was based on that on the 130-140 mph speed. NO mention to ET. NONE...NADDA...... The 125' approach to the starting beam has NOTHING to do with finish line MPH. Actually the 148 I ran was a 9.5 second ET...flooding on the low end then came to life. SO....bring on all the boyz above that YOU called cupcakes and let's see their top end speed through the traps with NO spray.

Rusrog
01-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Ain't it so cute when ODBA is mentioned all the banner wavers come running. Ya real good at speaking up and defending but not a very good listener or reader. The remarks was based on that on the 130-140 mph speed. NO mention to ET. NONE...NADDA...... The 125' approach to the starting beam has NOTHING to do with finish line MPH. Actually the 148 I ran was a 9.5 second ET...flooding on the low end then came to life. SO....bring on all the boyz above that YOU called cupcakes and let's see their top end speed through the traps with NO spray.

Jeff I liked you the times we met and I like your rig and the fact that it's a home built fast ride. But a couple of points beg to be made...

None of the names I mentioned ARE spraying. Those boys are all throttle, no bottle.

Now do you mean to tell me that if the boys mentioned above were to change propellers and run a bracket style 1/4 they couldn't run a MUCH lower ET??? Getting a boat out of the hole and set is the hardest part... Some of these guys could step up 2-4 inches in prop pitch if they could ignore that first 125ft. Timing it to hit the lights right is a different deal... That takes some work to get your timing down.

Deal is this... No one is saying that rope racing is bad. There are some hell bent outboards running those clubs. Those OB hydro's on the other thread are cool as a snowball down the shorts and I get a kick out of reading about that stuff. The hydros' like your and the others are cool to watch and very fast. But don't tell me that just because the heads up racers don't put up quite as much MPH, that they are slow. They lay down some low ET's and some big MPH but they just have a tougher job to do it and in my opinion the racing is considerably closer round after round.

Russ

JTS Racing
01-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Rus, In the beginning a little poking of "mine is better than yours" was fun between those of us that knew each other and enjoyed the game. Then others started overhearing the conversations and just like the Jena 6 it all got blew out of proportion and before long the fun turned to feelings. I replied to Sams' """ODBA Unlimited has the "Fastest" outboards. Unless a nitrous unlimited outboard shows up at the bracket races, nobody is running 130-140 in the quarter like ODBA unlimited has"""". AND that is simply NOT an accurate statement in reference to speed...not ET. There are as fast and faster outborads out there without the spray. I've tried to never let the fun go away and I've tried both styles of racing. Would probably have stayed with ODBA unlimited but their desire to change the rules every year ended that...and yes I do have feelings on that subject. On the other hand the club has several of the nicesest and greatest people in the sport. That being said, I will back off this thread and let it get back to it's intention and leave the ball in the air....Who'z got the badest??:rolleyes:

StratosVT
01-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Here is a question that I'll pose just to keep things interesting and because I wouldn't personally have a clue as to the true answer!

If a Pro-Fuel Allison is running 130mph (at the finish line) in the ODBA/DSRA style format (ie idle 6-7mph start), would it even be driveable at the speeds that would be reached in a rope race style start (100+ ft rolling start)?? How fast do you speculate one could potentially run (in rope race format) assumming they went up a couple of prop pitches??

Another question that I have is: What would a Pro-Fuel ODBA 9.5 ET translate to in a rope race setting?? Not looking for a definative answer just opinions.
PLEASE NO BASHING or BS on which style of racing is better! We've heard enough of that already! Thanks!:)

JTS Racing
01-25-2008, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=StratosVT;1283191]Here is a question that I'll pose just to keep things interesting and because I wouldn't personally have a clue as to the true answer!

If a Pro-Fuel Allison is running 130mph (at the finish line) in the ODBA/DSRA style format (ie idle 6-7mph start), would it even be driveable at the speeds that would be reached in a rope race style start (100+ ft rolling start)?? How fast do you speculate one could potentially run (in rope race format) assumming they went up a couple of prop pitches??

Another question that I have is: What would a Pro-Fuel ODBA 9.5 ET translate to in a rope race setting?? Not looking for a definative answer just opinions.QUOTE]

Opinion> The 125' start doesn't effect speed that much at the finish. Your question has a lot of vairables with set up and engine design. ProFuel is producing a lot of hp and the boat should run an easy mid 8 second off the rope in ODBA trim. If I recall Marty ran 8.3's at the Cowtowns and unless he ever had a problem, he was never bested by a ProFuel setup. They could produce more speed with a taller prop but at the sacrifice of some ET.

worldchampuo
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
BTW, Did I mention that I have a very cool Pugh hydro for sale. It was Albert Broussard's hydro that he ran in Unlimited a few years back.....Planned on debuting it in Unlimited in ODBA back in 2004 with a rip snortin NITRO/ALKY motor at 1100 lbs (250 lb. weight break for no NO2), but alas the post divorce money blues put a kabosh on that project. I still think it will work and be VERY competitive......Have since moved on to my Pro Mod, so it makes sense to sell the boat since I need to start getting a spare motor together for the Pro Mod........Pics are posted in the "Hull less than 20'" classified section. Completely rigged and ready for your motor...........Like has been mentioned John Wright and Jim Dunn do a great job running off the rope with Pughs...............Logan
BTW my best pass off the rope with the Qship was Marble Falls in 2003.......8.250 at 132.965mph....We put a 28et on 1.75 gears and turned it 10100 on that pass back with our single stage NO2 setup......Normally we ran a 26et and ran in the 8.4's-8.5's at around 125.

P.S. There is one non NO2 boat that we never got to run with our "A" setup, but it would have been close with him flipping all of his switches....A fellow by the name of Dave Bush.........Incredible Unbelievable NON NO2 OMC(HYBRID) STV.........

worldchampuo
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Is this Jeff Young??????? If so, how have you been my friend?????? Hope things have been going your way........Got the Pro Mod at my painters getting a mild facelift and fluffing it up a bit.......Pretty well ready for the 08 season, except for my spare motor project and a tow vehicle........Man, putting on of these motors together from scratch is kinda pricey, but at least you know what cha got......Good luck in the 08 season, BE safe, go fast, and above all have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................Logan

JTS Racing
01-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Is this Jeff Young??????? If so, how have you been my friend?????? Hope things have been going your way........Got the Pro Mod at my painters getting a mild facelift and fluffing it up a bit.......Pretty well ready for the 08 season, except for my spare motor project......Man, putting on of these motors together from scratch is kinda pricey, but at least you know what cha got......Good luck in the 08 season, BE safe, go fast, and above all have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................Logan

Yup, it's me and still causing trouble as you can tell :rolleyes: Doing good and hope your are. How well I know about the cost and time of the Pro-Mod. The 511 alky we put together reached the low 20's quickly. Kinda wish I had keep and picked up the Kurtis but with the paying job demands and time restraints I chose to stay were I'm at for now. Did get my money back on the mota from a local quarter ashpalt guy....he actually helped a lot during the assembly.......Good luck to you and your crew this year and we'll see ya at one of the events.

Jeff

stoker2001
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM
BTW my best pass off the rope with the Qship was Marble Falls in 2003.......8.250 at 132.965mph....We put a 28et on 1.75 gears and turned it 10100 on that pass back with our single stage NO2 setup......Normally we ran a 26et and ran in the 8.4's-8.5's at around 125.

P.S. There is one non NO2 boat that we never got to run with our "A" setup, but it would have been close with him flipping all of his switches....A fellow by the name of Dave Bush.........Incredible Unbelievable NON NO2 OMC(HYBRID) STV.........
825s is quite the feat with a ModVp style bottom
I bet it is safe to say that "single stage"fogger was not the safest tune;)

And to think that Bush only lives three hours away from the worlds most premier dragboat facility (Firebird) and for the life of me i cant get him to come out:rolleyes:
Every year he tells me he is going to try and make it.....maybe this year:)
IMHO i cant see him running faster or quicker then Dunn,that hydro is just to light and efficient.....all motor verses all motor

Way2slow on H2O
01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I dont know the answer, but I do know there needs to be a better show of hands at the races this year with outboards.

Ronnie

Sam Baker
01-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Who's running a 140 MPH outboard in bracket racing? That's all I race and I haven't seen one in 10 years. I don't go to KDBA so they may be there, but Jim Dunn runs 9.00 at about 120 or so.

props4u2
01-25-2008, 11:21 PM
There was a guy running an open o/b hydro in the early to mid 90's that ran 7.50 to 7.60's in the 140's every pass. The boat looked to be only 17' long. It was running within a half a second and a few mph of the blown alky flat we were running @ the time. I don't remember his name but I believe it was in Augusta, Ga. that he crashed and was killed doing what he loved the most.

Lee

stoker2001
01-25-2008, 11:33 PM
There was a guy running an open o/b hydro in the early to mid 90's that ran 7.50 to 7.60's in the 140's every pass. The boat looked to be only 17' long. It was running within a half a second and a few mph of the blown alky flat we were running @ the time. I don't remember his name but I believe it was in Augusta, Ga. that he crashed and was killed doing what he loved the most.

Lee
The late Tom Kunzman,if my memory serves me right
Did you guys have the same 125' run at the lights back then?

spujo
01-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I remember seeing Ro Yale and a couple of others running hydro's back in the '90's turning big mph's in unlimited, but now they all pretty much run vee's & tunnel vee's like everyone else. The fastest OB I've personally seen run was Ray Leach when he won unlimited @ Demopolis / ODBA. His sh*t held together that day.

Fl Boy in ILL
01-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Sam

Nobody in KDBA in the last 6 years has run that fast in an O/B, before that i couldn't say. Jim Dunn and Jeff YOung have both run in the 130's in their Hydro's. If anybody else remembers different please speak up.

Marty Logan, what speeds did you run in the Q/Master running 8.2's??? Just curious

Rick

mirage243
01-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Rick, when you gonna change M/E 0494 to T/E 0494. By the way li'lmiss243 says "HI"

Way2slow on H2O
01-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Marty ran 133 at Marble Falls in '03. (pretty dayum impressive for a Q-ship hull) and a whole bunch of nitrous. (Marty, was it 6 stages and 3 bottles or 6 bottles and 3 stages??? lol....) more than I'm willing to try...

Tom Kunzeman ran 7.47 @ 139.92 in 1991 (Hot Boat Mag May 1991) 2.4 bridgeport with a Chuck Goodman Nitrous set-up.

Now, is it top end speed you're wanting to know, or 1/4 mile quickness?

According to the SDBA points page for 2007, there was a total of 155 boats registered. Out of that 155, 10 were outboards. (a few more outboards came out to selected races). 4 in River Racer, 2 Stock Eliminator, 2 Modified Eliminator, and 2 Top Eliminator. The fastest outboard speed that I knew of (someone can correct me) was 116 by Mike Schovanec M/E 333. Travis Tuttle had issues, Kelly Russell had issues, Cody Childress had issues, and I had major issues (my top speed for the year: 95 @ 6600 rpm, no nitrous)

Ronnie

Freddie Webb
01-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Rick, the fastest pass that I know Jim has run is 8.2 et in the high 130s during test and tune, but that wasn't at kdba. All that was with no nitrous, there may be a better pass that I don't know of. The mph was real close to 140, I wish some more people with outboards would come rope racing. Rick are you going to run 9 sec this year?

Freddie Webb
01-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Ronnie, the IHBA record that I have a copy of says Tom Kunzeman ran a 7.56et at 136.36mph at Firebird in the Stroh's Express. I think Jon Wright has beaten this, maybe he will clear this up.

props4u2
01-27-2008, 12:15 AM
The late Tom Kunzman,if my memory serves me right
Did you guys have the same 125' run at the lights back then?

Yes we did.

Lee

Way2slow on H2O
01-27-2008, 12:55 AM
I think Jon ran faster on the big end, but he has a way better nitrous set-up than Kunzeman had back then.

I cant help but think we can beat the old records with todays 2.5's and better nitrous delivery.

I can't stop sprayin mine, lol... the difference it makes is phenominal.

Ronnie

Freddie Webb
01-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Bring back the true unlimited outboards no weight restrictions,anything goes, only a single gearcase in the water.

jphii
01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
That'll be the day.

Freddie Webb
01-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Joe, keep your hopes up. One day someone with connections is going to put on a race with boats classified as gasoline boats, fuel (methanol-nitromethane) boats, and nitrous boats. That's going to be the only rules, except safety of course life jacket, helmet, and kill switch. If your male parts are big enough and your brain small enough, let it fly. I can hear the echoes now, not safe, not safe,ect. The only safe assumption about a drag boat is your are going to use a lot of fuel and most of the time sooner than later you are going to tear something up. It is a controlled crash every time they leave the trailer.

JTS Racing
01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Unlimited...

Freddie, actually the true pro unlimited class is still alive. Problem is there is not enough boats to make the class. Last ones I know was Jon Wright, Paul Wheeler, and Chris Burke. Rules say two or more boats make a class, but it sure would be nice if 4 or more would get back in the game. There was a guy, don't remember his name, that campaigned for us a couple years ago to come to Augusta. Was told the rudder rule would be waived if equiped with safety cell and air.

Freddie Webb
01-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Jeff, I may have to give up the v4 for a v6. But, it would be useless because I don't have air, a capsule, or any big thoughts of putting a rudder on it.

Fl Boy in ILL
01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Freddie

Yes I am planning to run 9's in the Quartershot this year, we have made the neccessary changes we hope to get of to high 8's low 9's. Can't wait to race.

Rick

stoker2001
01-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Freddie

Yes I am planning to run 9's in the Quartermaster this year, we have made the neccessary changes we hope to get of to high 8's low 9's. Can't wait to race.

RickRick,what happened to the full throttle quartershot boat?

Freddie Webb
01-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Rick, I am excited for you always glad to see someone I know do better for themselves.

Fl Boy in ILL
01-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry guys I don't know how to spell, LOL. Yes I have a Full Throttle Quartershot and will run the 9 sec class this year. ( OR try at least)

Rick

worldchampuo
01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey Rick..Hope to see ya on the circuit this year......The 8.250 run at Marble Falls in 2003 was just something we wanted to try with all the extra weight out of the boat that we had to carry with ODBA to make several passes and still make the 1350 min weight. I think we were around 1225 lbs and put on a 28et on 1.75 gears, and turned it 10100 rpm on that pass. No ****, I have a slip somewhere that reads 8.250 at 132.986 mph......The Qship was definatly taking some tall steps on the big end that day........Normally we ran a 26et and was in the 8.4-8.5 range at around 125..............Logan

racerx
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Some one mentioned 130mph in a pro fuel boat,,,,no way........I have never heard of a normal race boat not a hydro run a 9sec flat quarter mile with out the bottle at rope racin,Rick you planing on runnin a bottle,if not that will be fast,,,,i know Joe is giving all he has no bottle to run the 9.00,,,he has been spending a lot of time at Ghors...

stoker2001
01-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Some one mentioned 130mph in a pro fuel boat,,,,no way........I have never heard of a normal race boat not a hydro run a 9sec flat quarter mile with out the bottle at rope racin,Rick you planing on runnin a bottle,if not that will be fast,,,,i know Joe is giving all he has no bottle to run the 9.00,,,he has been spending a lot of time at Ghors...
WHAT HE SAid

worldchampuo
01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Two words boys........"Dave Bush"..............Logan

RBT
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
MR. Dave Bush ran 1 full pass at Jasper as a by run and 3 of us got him at a 9.40, I beleive his GPS telemetry was at 129 mph.
This is an ODBA start, so I would think 8.50 ish at the ropes....no bottle, over weight!.

RT

worldchampuo
01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree, and well into the 130's...........Logan

stoker2001
01-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Me and the Bushman go back a ways and keep in touch on a regular basis
He tells me every year that he will test or try IHBA at Firebird with us
Maybe this will be the year

worldchampuo
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I would really like to see Dave turn that thing loose on the lights just one time for grins.......I think there would be many astonished people scratching their heads in disbelief.............We will be out there at Firebird for the finals with the Pro Mod at the end of the season. Try to talk Dave into coming.......Would love to see yall...................Logan

spujo
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
What is all this "rope raceing" crap? I remember back in the early '80's you had an anchored barge and a person held onto to each boat. Both boats had to be in neutral until the green light. At least now you get to roll out like ODBA (has to save on parts). Seems to be the best to see who's the best per given run. I hate ET racing-cars & boats. My $.02.

mirage243
02-02-2008, 09:18 AM
[quote=spujo;1289355]What is all this "rope raceing" crap?
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Be willing to bet you've never even seen it.

Way2slow on H2O
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
If I had the money and time I would do both, rope racin in SDBA and all out fun in ODBA.

I would encourage these ODBA and DSRA rocket ships to try 1 race on the rope. It's probably the biggest challenge in boat racing, against the opponent and at the same time, against a clock. Tougher than it looks. And, the rewarding part is, spankin some big block a*s, instant gratification, lol... (even better when your neighbor races a big block, lmao)

A BIG thumbs up to all you outboard racers!!! We be the underdawgs and just keep comin back for more.

Ronnie

mirage243
02-02-2008, 10:20 AM
If I had the money and time I would do both, rope racin in SDBA and all out fun in ODBA.

I would encourage these ODBA and DSRA rocket ships to try 1 race on the rope. It's probably the biggest challenge in boat racing, against the opponent and at the same time, against a clock. Tougher than it looks. And, the rewarding part is, spankin some big block a*s, instant gratification, lol... (even better when your neighbor races a big block, lmao)

A BIG thumbs up to all you outboard racers!!! We be the underdawgs and just keep comin back for more.

Ronnie
WELL SAID!!!!!!!

6Killer
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
MR. Dave Bush ran 1 full pass at Jasper as a by run and 3 of us got him at a 9.40, I beleive his GPS telemetry was at 129 mph.
This is an ODBA start, so I would think 8.50 ish at the ropes....no bottle, over weight!.

RT

Watched Bush weigh after that pass, something like 1430. His power on a 1250 pound P/F boat would run in the high 8's at 130+ ODBA style. Do the math.......Bush has 515+ reliable horsepower. A Merc set for Unlimited has 350 at the crank + a 150 HP (If your lucky) N2O shot. Much more N2O on the Merc = BOOM! Seen it many times.

stoker2001
02-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I would really like to see Dave turn that thing loose on the lights just one time for grins.......I think there would be many astonished people scratching their heads in disbelief.............We will be out there at Firebird for the finals with the Pro Mod at the end of the season. Try to talk Dave into coming.......Would love to see yall...................Logan
Marty i was intending to come over and introduce myself last November at the WFs,but racing got in the way,will definatly catch up with you this 08 WFs
I was pulling for you on that first round and you nailed the light on your competitor,you just needed to lift a little harder next time;)

Instigator
02-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Watched Bush weigh after that pass, something like 1430. His power on a 1250 pound P/F boat would run in the high 8's at 130+ ODBA style. Do the math.......Bush has 515+ reliable horsepower. A Merc set for Unlimited has 350 at the crank + a 150 HP (If your lucky) N2O shot. Much more N2O on the Merc = BOOM! Seen it many times.

KKKKEEEEESSS!

Some day I hope to see that in person.

Gary

Way2slow on H2O
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I've hit 300+ N20 in 2 stages in a 900 lb boat and man!!!! what a rush!!!! Twisted the sponson right out of the water at 80 mph. Next time I'll have it on video. According to Chuck Goodmans math, both foggers were equal to 175 hp. EACH!!!

RBT
02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
that is like 82.5 hp per shot.... these are 2 strokes, that 4 stroke hp formula doesn't apply here!.

Fl Boy in ILL
02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Rob

Chuck makes 150 HP each stage, 2 seperate stages 150X2=300, I know hehehehe

Rick

Way2slow on H2O
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
that is like 82.5 hp per shot.... these are 2 strokes, that 4 stroke hp formula doesn't apply here!.

COOL!!! Even better, those big block guys get skeered when you mention 175 hp shot of nitrous, now I'll tell 'em it's only a tiny 82.5 shot. Maybe they wont feel so bad when i zip past em, lol...

Ronnie

stoker2001
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Even if this is true,165 shot is still amazing on these little bullets:eek: it is like another motor kicking in

worldchampuo
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, we had a radio malfunction on that first round run in Phoenix. Seems the key button for the radio move a little, and when I shut the capsule lid it keyed the mic and all my guys could hear was me breathing and then motor when I hit the throttle........No way for them to transmit and say "lift"...Oh well, the mic button key is relocated now, and that wont happen again....Live and learn......Had a blast at the race anyway......Will DEFINATELY go back..........BTW, I dont know how much NO2 we ran on the Qship, as far as hp, but it was ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we ran .037 jets on the NO2 at 1250psi with a push bottle, and .043 on the methanol at somewhere around 6-7 psi.......Usually left pretty hard..........Logan

Way2slow on H2O
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
BTW, I dont know how much NO2 we ran on the Qship, as far as hp, but it was ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we ran .037 jets on the NO2 at 1250psi with a push bottle, and .043 on the methanol at somewhere around 6-7 psi.......Usually left pretty hard..........Logan

Mr. Goodmans gonna have to figure that one, my calculator stops at 280 bph @ 900psi. with .035 jets and .041 @ 6.5 psi. alky enrichment. That's a lot of push!!!

Ronnie

worldchampuo
02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Ronnie...Looks like to me you are real close on setup. Of course all that changes from race to race depending on the corrected altitude......One of those Performaire's is very handy in tuning if you dont have one already........The push bottle makes world of difference, but you have to tune for it, cause with it your motor doesn't get richer and richer down the track as the bottle pressures decreases.....The pressure remains whereever you want it.......Good luck ...................Logan
P.S. If you get a chance, ask Chuck if he has some way to calculate the hp of our setup on a drag motor.....I would be interested in some type of scientific estimate of our old NO2 system. Just curious.....Thanks..........Marty

worldchampuo
02-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Sold the Pugh hydro boys. If the ole boy who bought it puts some significant power on the back of it, you better look out........Logan

BrentShaw
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Is he going to run it on the rope?

Brent

worldchampuo
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I believe he is currently running SE with SLDBA and KDBA, but will surely step up a class or two with the Pugh. I told him I could hook him up with some NO2 powerheads if he wanted to go fast............Logan

mirage243
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Come on, tell us who?

BrentShaw
02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
So now I know of 3 outboard hydros running SLDBA this year.

Brent

WATERWINGS
02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
If David comes back, it will be with a Pugh Hydro

worldchampuo
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah, David told me a few years ago that he had a Pugh and was interested in trying to get the record with it. I believe John Wright currently owns it at 7.56 at 156. David was always VERY FAST but the STV just wasn't designed to go the speeds he was capable of (140+). Would love to see him driving a boat again.......He's a good guy.......and plenty capable of going fast........Logan

jphii
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
He told me he had the Pugh built so he can go after the outboard speed record.

scottybuck11
02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
im hanging with my kdba guys.

WATERWINGS
02-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I believe John Wright currently owns it at 7.56 at 156.

Hey Marty,

Its good to see you on the site now.

I always loved to watch you and David go at it.

Is John in ODBA ?

What boat did he have?

worldchampuo
02-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, it was always fun when David and I lined up and let em run, except he beat me too often. I think I only actually out ran him once. But, usually it was exciting for everyone, and usually there was some FIRE involved on one of the boats after the race......LOL.........I remember one race in particular in 2003. It was in Plymouth, NC. I was running David when he set the speed record at 139+. I was ahead of him the whole race and ran about 134, but about 200 ft before the finish line, David came around me soooo fast, it almost spun me around.............I had the best seat in the house to see his record run.........I think John primarily saves his boat for SMIC now. He actually qualified it in the 6 sec. class (1000 ft) last year with a 6.04. He is the only person to EVER qualify an outboard in that class. Pretty Impressive........Thanks for the kind words.................Logan

jphii
02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
BTTT for Marty.