PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Sponsor??

azdrydock
01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I bought the 1986 Talon 21 that was listed here last year. I'm seeking a single sponsor to decal/wrap the hull with design of their choice. I have several responses to my initial inquires. I need advice on how to secure a deal & perhaps how much sponsorship funding I should be looking for.
I'm offering a rolling, floating billboard that travels to 6 lakes around the Phoenix area at the very least once a week. Boat can be in midway next to sponsor booth at events throughout the year. Barrett Jackson - Boat Racing events - County Fair - Shows - Openings - Parades. It could be used in print & video advertising. Please give me some ideas & input. I have the boat speed limited to 55mph. so there's no question of safety.

Additionally, when seeking insurance, as soon as I type in "Talon" they won't touch it. Any suggestions here would be greatly appriciated.

Mike

mirage243
01-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Good luck on getting a sponsor. I have been racing all types of things for the last twenty years and it's one of the toughest things in the world to do. I can tell you that most of my sponsorship comes from friends that I have developed in other business ventures and then I try to convince them that they will benefit from sponsoring my boat racing operation. If they don't have lots of disposable income, so that they can use it as a tax write-off, then you really have to convince them that their business will benefit more than the cost. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck. P.S. If you find any extras, let me know.

shawnjetton
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
i have a 100% sponsor:eek:. They pay for everything from decals to road exspence to power heads. They are Shawn Jetton Custom Homes. by the way my name is Shawn Jetton:D

jphii
01-22-2008, 08:43 PM
i have a 100% sponsor:eek:. They pay for everything from decals to road exspence to power heads. They are Shawn Jetton Custom Homes. by the way my name is Shawn Jetton:D

Ain't that the truth! I've found one easy way to get a sponsor, in 4 steps.

First: Buy a business.

Second: Put a bunch of money in it's checking account.

Third: Put your business name on the boat.

Fourth: Start writing checks.

It's practically foolproof.

Sam Baker
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I've found that the best way to go for racing is to start small. 5 sponsors at $500 per season goes a long way toward fuel and hotels. Trying to land one at $2500 is harder in my experience.

The best way to go is to do whatever you can to get in front of people. Enter your boat in parades, local auto/boat shows, etc. Then when you have something to show, it works much better.

BrentShaw
01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
I break it down to a per race when I approach sponsors $100,$200 $500 per race and give a list of what each of the different amounts gets the sponsor. It is not easy but if you can find people that are into motor sports and have some interest it helps

Brent

BarryStrawn
01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Ain't that the truth! I've found one easy way to get a sponsor, in 4 steps.

First: Buy a business.

Second: Put a bunch of money in it's checking account.

Third: Put your business name on the boat.

Fourth: Start writing checks.

It's practically foolproof.

You forgot: Deduct the advertising expense in your tax return. :)

jphii
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM
You forgot: Deduct the advertising expense in your tax return. :)

That's a given:D

Riverratt
01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Are you just looking for someone to pay for you to go boating? If you are not racing what is the purpose of the sponsor?