PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Race Predictions and B.S.

Sam Baker
12-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, it's the off season and I guess that means it's time to start the rumor mill, the B.S., and make some predictions on who's going to be the boats to beat. Here's my take for the SLDBA for '08.

River Racer. I'm really worried about River Racer class. How can we not have 8-10 boats in this class every race? It's the only class available to the average guy. Do people not really want to race? Is it too expensive? We all need to do something to prop that class back up. My Dad is planning on running and we should be able to pull a few people from Blarney Island they'll run River Racer or S/E.

Stock Eliminator. Should be a great class this year. The boat numbers dropped in this class too as Modified got bigger and bigger. Brad Murphy should be back, Sam Schultz, I'm moving up, Bill Henderson will be there...should be a great class. Schultz was a machine in '07 like Brad was in '06. May not be much room on the podium with those guys racing, but I'll try to do some damage. Going to focus on being more consistent and doing some work on my rig to make it faster.

Modified Eliminator. This has become THE class for outboards it seems. All kinds of speed here, but two of the top contenders are moving up to the 9s (Rick Conklin and Joe Perocesci). Apparently the Quartershots are so fast that the 10s just don't work for them any more :D. Brent Shaw had an off year, but he got his problems figured out at Litchfield and ran 10.02 with his backup stone stock 260 powerhead so when he gets that Diamond powerhead back on, he'll be there. Hollywood Nick Winski is going to try and make several races this year - his $hit always runs. Brian Jackson I heard bought Bob Lipton's QuarterMaster so I think he'll be in the thick of things too.

Top Eliminator. Jim Dunn will finally get some help in fighting off those big blocks. Rick Conklin and Joe Perocesci are going to give it a go and should be tough. Jim is Da Man though...he'll be tough to unseat. Although I don't know if he'll be running ProMod or not. He had a ProMod boat at New Athens so maybe he's stepping up and out of TE.

The new association with Quarter Mile Marketing and looking at new race sites is going to bring SLDBA a lot more notariety so we need to do all we can to get people to try it. They should be repeating their deal they had last year to bring people to their first race at a highly discounted rate. Let's all promote it and get some new folks into this sport.

Who's going to be the boat to beat?

mirage243
12-30-2007, 02:35 PM
...me.

Sam Baker
12-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I didn't ask who was going to come in second...I want to know who's going to win it. :D

CUDA
01-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Where did Ron Baker Sr. move to?
Guess he got sick of fighting the locals in fl.
He did a good job with FBI , sorry he moved away.

Sam Baker
01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
He's a snowbird now. They bought a little place at one of the Marinas back up here in Antioch, IL and then they have a 5th wheel they're pulling around Florida right now. So, they'll be up here in the Summers and down south (Florida or Arizona) in the winters I think.

They got REAL tired of the locals there in Crescent City. It's a shame too because that town is going nowhere fast and they could have used some positive attention. Oh well.

Baja18
01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey Sam, I will be back for a full season this year. I've made some top secret changes so it will be an interesting year. How is your project coming along? Looking foreward to seeing everyone on the rope........Brad.

BrentShaw
01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm considering making some major changes, but either way I'm ready to go at it again.

Brent Shaw

mrtlbeez
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Travis (outboards4life) and I wiil be there running our hybrid outboard. Hopefully we'll have enough to run 10's, we'll have to see.

mmassm
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Lipton didn't sell his 1/4 Master and will be back with a fresh Kottman mtr. I've freshened my 5year old mtr and now have a spare,and problems behind me,be back for a full season with SLDBA and some KDBA. Looking foreward to get back to racing. M/E is where it's at. Mike

stoker2001
01-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Modified Eliminator. This has become THE class for outboards it seems. All kinds of speed here, but two of the top contenders are moving up to the 9s (Rick Conklin and Joe Perocesci). Apparently the Quartershots are so fast that the 10s just don't work for them any more :D. Brent Shaw had an off year, but he got his problems figured out at Litchfield and ran 10.02 with his backup stone stock 260 powerhead so when he gets that Diamond powerhead back on, he'll be there. Hollywood Nick Winski is going to try and make several races this year - his $hit always runs. Brian Jackson I heard bought Bob Lipton's QuarterMaster so I think he'll be in the thick of things too.

Top Eliminator. Jim Dunn will finally get some help in fighting off those big blocks. Rick Conklin and Joe Perocesci are going to give it a go and should be tough. Jim is Da Man though...he'll be tough to unseat. Although I don't know if he'll be running ProMod or not. He had a ProMod boat at New Athens so maybe he's stepping up and out of TE.

?
Sam,i gotta say running a typical tunnel/ModVP in the M/e class is way more of a challenge then you make it out to be
I am talking about being competitive and running ten flats in hot summer heat with corrected altitudes to 4500'+ without nitrous
Nitrous is great,but IMHO it takes away consistency big time,who has been a contender with it?
Jim Dunns Hydro is a different deal and really the way to go in the nine second class,do you realize it only wieghs like 980LBS with him in it and not to mention the safety and efficiency you get with a HYdroplane hull.
We will see how Rick and Joe fare in the T/E class,i wish them all the luck and would love to see them take a championship in there associations (it would be a tremendous accomplishment)
Good luck to everyone here in there 2008 season

Fl Boy in ILL
01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Kevin

I was able to run 10's no matter where I was with both the Mirage and the Quartershot, OKC was the challenge but was able to get it with minor changes.

As far as 9's on NOS Travis Tuttle did it a couple years ago in a Q/Master with consistancy, why do you think NOS is inconsistant? I believe if you have the right system it can be very consistant and repeatable. I have seen some that were not but Nitrox by Chuck Goodman looks very good.

I talked to Joe and he's made some impressive changes and I can't wait to see him run, I am pretty excited about my changes also. Joe and I run the same association so hopefully we can both be at the top trying to knock Jim Dunn off the mountain, but I hear he may run 8's in the O/B???? We'll all see soon

Good luck to all in the upcoming year, please be safe and go to all the races youcan afford to go to. I may even try a different club to support everyone.

Rick

BrentShaw
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I can wait to see 2 more outboards in running in the 9's. Should be another fun year.

Brent Shaw

stoker2001
01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Kevin

I was able to run 10's no matter where I was with both the Mirage and the Quartershot, OKC was the challenge but was able to get it with minor changes.

As far as 9's on NOS Travis Tuttle did it a couple years ago in a Q/Master with consistancy, why do you think NOS is inconsistant? I believe if you have the right system it can be very consistant and repeatable. I have seen some that were not but Nitrox by Chuck Goodman looks very good.

I talked to Joe and he's made some impressive changes and I can't wait to see him run, I am pretty excited about my changes also. Joe and I run the same association so hopefully we can both be at the top trying to knock Jim Dunn off the mountain, but I hear he may run 8's in the O/B???? We'll all see soon

Good luck to all in the upcoming year, please be safe and go to all the races youcan afford to go to. I may even try a different club to support everyone.

Rick
Rick,i know you know that shaveing one second off are elapsed times with these small motors is a hhuuugggee jump,especially when we are already running in M/E.
Travis's Qmaster was a friggen insane rocketship,i saw him run at Marble falls in 2005 or 2006
the quartermasters are definatly one of the most proven safe and efficient ModVP hulls for draging
ON ussing the squeeze,i have no doubt if you put enough to your Qshot it will run in the nineOs
With todays N2O computers you probably can get consistent enough to win,but it definatly doesnt help consistance (you need to control/regulate bottle pressure)
So,Joe is gonna give it a go at T/E without spray?
this will be a challenge of all challenges with a ModVP hull?
Good luck as you guys know i will be pulling for you

boatmanhp
01-09-2008, 02:25 PM
You crack me up kevin:D :D :D ,i am sure glad you feel that way about nos," a old school racer",for you sure dont want to run me,for i can put my system to the thousands on a clock,trust me on that ,just keep feeling that way for all the racers i have installed nos on there rigs will be dead on the clock.

Michael J Giesler
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi sam you don't have to worry about Blarney's Jeff H 1st me 2nd you 3rd p.s. thanks for my new winning prop.

Way2slow on H2O
01-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Brent--- Gor For IT!!!:D :D :D

Rick, easily obtainable, and YOU can do it no doubt!!! Just remember OKC this year, we wanna see it run....:cool: :cool: :cool:

Ronnie

mirage101
01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I am planing on a full SLDBA season, and Brian will make some races.

Rick, Joe and the 8 sec outboard good luck on your progects.

Regards Ron

Sam Baker
01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Michael, I have a feeling I'm going to regret selling you that prop. I'm just glad you won't have to run a 28" prop in a 700' race. Maybe I won't see you still after I turn around at the other end of the track.

Michael J Giesler
01-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Sam I hope your right by the way that was one good x-mas present.

Sam Baker
01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I guess! I was waiting for you to call me wondering why I hadn't cashed your check yet. I'm not so rich that I can sit on a $400 check for 6 weeks. You'll have to keep her around for a little while longer I guess since you've got her trained to buy you race props for Christmas.

BrentShaw
01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Sam,

If I would of known you where giving props away for christmas I would have sent you my list instead of sending it to Santa.

Brent

Fl Boy in ILL
01-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I got me a couple new props to try this year also, had to UP the arsenal!!!

Rick

mirage101
01-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I got me a couple new props to try this year also, had to UP the arsenal!!!

Rick

Rick
I ran a 24 et on mine to about 10,400 came out good and handled good.

Regards Ron

Hot Shot Merc
01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Say hello to your parents for me Sam.Thanx:)

Sam Baker
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Rob, they're back in your neck of the woods. They're buying a winter place down in Punta Gorda area so they aren't THAT far away (relative to Chicago that is). They'll be down there between October and April every year I think and up here during the Summers.

I'll tell them you said Hi.