PDA

View Full Version : Jim Dunn Big block ass kicker

Ray Neudecker
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Jim Dunn was the last boat standing against 29 big blocks at the 2007 World Finals to win the 9 second class.
Congratulations on a great victory.

Fl Boy in ILL
11-21-2007, 10:53 PM
:D
Ray
The LONG ride home must have been a whole lot easier bring home the trophy, I posted Sun night when I saw the results Congrats to you and Jim he has been very consistant all year. I bet all those BIB BLOCKS hope he drives that P/M a whole lot more and leaves them alone!!!! I am going to come play with the T/E boys next year

Rick

THE FAST ONE
11-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Jim Dunn was the last boat standing against 29 big blocks at the 2007 World Finals to win the 9 second class.
Congratulations on a great victory.
WAY TO GO JIM AND RAY,CONGULATIONS FOR TOUGH WIN! OB'S WELL REPENSENTED IN A FIELD LIKE THAT.BE SEEING YOU GUY'S NEXT SEASON.--ED NETTLES

stoker2001
11-23-2007, 03:02 PM
BIG CONGRATS JIM!!!!!!
really enjoyed seeing you saw them all off
Hope to see you next year at WFs

Jay Smith
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Congrads Jim.... Imo Jim Has the Most Consistant Outboard Hydro On The Planet.

Good Job !!!

Way2slow on H2O
11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Congrads Jim.... Imo Jim Has the Most Consistant Outboard Hydro On The Planet.

Good Job !!!

Jay, you need to add "the most consistant to stay together", lol...

Jon & I are the most consistant in tearin chit up!!! lmao....:D :D

Way To Go Jim!!!

M.CHAPMAN
11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Congrats to Jim and Ray. Excellent work fella's. If anyone can pull that off against an entire field of BB's it's Dunn. See ya next year.
-Michael

Baja18
11-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Congrats Jim on another outstanding season!!!!..................Brad.

M.CHAPMAN
11-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey Brad, We missed ya at the Cove this year.. Hope all is well. Hope to see ya in 2008.
-Michael

Baja18
11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey Michael, yea I missed you guys too. I had just moved and had too much going on.........trust me it killed me not being there........I will be there definatly in '08. How's your off season going so far, any top secret projects?......Brad.

M.CHAPMAN
11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Off season goin good, nothing crazy, working on a way to make a full schedule of races next season if everything falls into place. Still got a yard full of boats to fix. Best of luck to ya next season, maybe we'll see ya at few more races, if ya need anything just give us a shout.
-Michael

Dingie 2
11-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Congratulations on a great victory.:) Way to go Ray !!!!! Do you have any pictures of the big blocks getting beat buy the outboard ? Joe R:)

HiLift
11-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Or video?

stoker2001
12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/stoker2001/WFS2007.jpg?t=1195695404
Not a good pick of the competition,but the Elim daytona in this pic has 1000HP and is a 450 pound hull owned by Chris Stalkweather

jim brinkley
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Way to go Jim Dunn. Like the way you beat the big blocks.:) Looks like you had the deck stacked against you.:D

Congratulations,

JIm

ggoslow
12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
have vidio of jim leaving jeff vale on the line for the win. my crew chief is now working with vale. they forgot to turn shift bottle on.opps!will post as soon as i figure out how. glad jim won ob guys must stay together, we rule later greg

Way2slow on H2O
12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
they forgot to turn shift bottle on.opps!

That seems to be a common problem with those transmission boats, lmao!!!

But hey, we've seen a few nitrous fed outboards forget to turn the bottle on (me, lol, more than once)(plus a few more can stand and take a bow)

Ronnie

stoker2001
12-18-2007, 03:56 AM
check out this thread on hotboat.com in the vdrive forums
Funny as hell
Talking about turning in there "man cards" cause Jim "sawed them all off":D
http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171644

Way2slow on H2O
12-19-2007, 01:15 PM
It's funny how we're considered "ramp clutter" to the truck motor guys!!!

I ran like chit all year due to an ECU problem (4 ECU's to be exact, each with a different problem, 1 was new) plus all the usual problems involved in makin an outboard run quick... cracked mid, stripped driveshaft spline, repeated clutch dog explosions, lost props, cooked pistons, fires, lol, and fried starters.

I had to run in the S/E class (11 second) due to the motor running like a terd, but if the problem was found, I could step up into the faster classes. Now, with that being said, my last race (3rd round of qualifying) I was late to the ramp due to an ECU plug not making connection and not firing. I ended up roping up with the T/E guys (9 second) that have no respect for an outboard. They started joking about the motor belonging on a bass boat and so on. I just listened to their comments and laughed along with them...

Talk about INTIMIDATION!!!... are they really that intimidated about outboards???

My motor dont belong on a bass boat no more than his big block belongs in a TRUCK!!! those aren't car motors, cars dont have 500+ cubic in motors...

Oh well, I guess we can piss em off again next year, lmao....

Ronnie

Ray Neudecker
12-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Check out the KDBA and SLDBA web sites High Point Champions and you start to understand why they are intimidated. Outboards swept the field through the 9 second class.

The Awards ceromonies will be extra fun this year.

Ray Neudecker
12-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Joe it is hard to find pictures that include both Jim and a big block running that has both in the picture since most are taken at the finish line.

Unchained
12-21-2007, 08:04 AM
It's funny how we're considered "ramp clutter" to the truck motor guys!!!
I ended up roping up with the T/E guys (9 second) that have no respect for an outboard. They started joking about the motor belonging on a bass boat and so on. I just listened to their comments and laughed along with them...
Talk about INTIMIDATION!!!... are they really that intimidated about outboards???
Ronnie

Well I have to give credit where credit is due to Jim Dunn in beating all that tough competition and It's unfortunate that that any of the "car motor" crowd feel the need to talk down to any of the outboard guys. I certainly don't do that and have lots of friends with HP outboards. They show up to run their boats EVERY WEEKEND where very few jets and v drives (except me) show up regularly. That means a lot to me rather than the, "back home in the garage I got" types.

But.....Intimidation.....I don't think so.
You've got to remember, it was bracket racing. They were trying to run the number, not run all out. I know Jims boat can go faster than that he did in the 9 sec class and Chris Starkweathers boat had run 8 flat on nitrous just a couple weeks before. I believe he won the 8 sec class that week in NJBA.

Another point I want to make is that if the racing was done from a dead stop or off plane then the outboards would be able to optimize their holeshot advantage. Most car motor guys really don't realize what kind of a huge holeshot the outboards can have from off plane. I was amazed when I lined up against a couple fast outboards with my jetboat and was left behind by three + lengths in the first 2 seconds. :eek: I was out front at the end but played catch up for a while. ;)

IHBA racing is done with a 125' head start that gives the advantage to the big heavy V8s. Not fair by lake racing standards.

stoker2001
12-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Well I have to give credit where credit is due to Jim Dunn in beating all that tough competition and It's unfortunate that that any of the "car motor" crowd feel the need to talk down to any of the outboard guys. I certainly don't do that and have lots of friends with HP outboards. They show up to run their boats EVERY WEEKEND where very few jets and v drives (except me) show up regularly. That means a lot to me rather than the, "back home in the garage I got" types.

But.....Intimidation.....I don't think so.
You've got to remember, it was bracket racing. They were trying to run the number, not run all out. I know Jims boat can go faster than that he did in the 9 sec class and Chris Starkweathers boat had run 8 flat on nitrous just a couple weeks before. I believe he won the 8 sec class that week in NJBA.

Another point I want to make is that if the racing was done from a dead stop or off plane then the outboards would be able to optimize their holeshot advantage. Most car motor guys really don't realize what kind of a huge holeshot the outboards can have from off plane. I was amazed when I lined up against a couple fast outboards with my jetboat and was left behind by three + lengths in the first 2 seconds. :eek: I was out front at the end but played catch up for a while. ;)

IHBA racing is done with a 125' head start that gives the advantage to the big heavy V8s. Not fair by lake racing standards.
Hey Mark that was a nice post,how have you been?
For the record Firebird (pheonix) is unlike any other waterway with its salty/calcium nasty/corrosive metal etching makeup
We race there in late April and late November every year with temps always at upper 80s to low 90s
So,between the bad water and less then ideal air it is by far the slowest dragboat venue for bracket boats
I cannot speak for the pro classes
we loose an average of .2 to .3 seconds of elapsed time there
With the tuneup Chriss had on his 19' Elim at Bakersfield (NJBA),it would of not been competitive in the 8 second class at Firebird,thats why he was in the 9s
Chriss did win at NJBA in the 8s two weeks prior to the world finals,and my hats off to him as that is very outstanding considering it doubles as a pleasure ride at the Colorada river
Happy holidays