PDA

View Full Version : Powered Hatch and a Drawing Cheat

Techno
08-12-2007, 02:25 PM
This shows the cad picture cheat I mentioned before. It isn't exact due to the large size of the part but its close enough for this purpose. Smaller items come out just about exact since the picture distance VS part size is better.

After the picture was imported into cad it was traced for the important items, the hatch. This then has the units size set- its put to scale. A horizontal section was chosen, measured and set. But the small bulge measures 13" high but doesn't in the picture, about 10.5" instead.
http://i9.tinypic.com/4ve4miw.jpg
Anyway you can see how a part can be traced and then used to make its exact duplicate or figure out a geometry, like this case. The hatch was copied and rotated along the assumed hinge location. A few trials showed the ram, which is 15" long and extends 1' needs to be one closed length away from the pivot. In other words about 15". Arcs were drawn to show closed, open and the attachement point on the hatch. This point was also rotated to find it but it also is the intersection of the arcs. One arc being the hatchs rotation point. I figured the location from trial and error but it became apparent in about 3 trials.

Now that I've drawn out the coarse idea I can mount it a bit short of actual and it should work fine. Where to mount and where to attach was the unknown. How far would the hatch open?
You could flip the real one several dozen times too but I find this method easier... since its hot out.:D And very cramped under the hatch. Duplicating parts... or more accurately making a part to fit another part exactly is great using this method.

I've also used the same technique for seeing where the engine will be with the stock cowl and the custom one with the engine set back 1,1/4" instead of the full jack plate. In this case only the Outboard and custom cowl was traced. It was rotated on the boat picture. Turns out both interfere with the hatch but also shows the GPS antennae can be mounted between hatch and engine on the hand hole cover. The new location reduces the trailer trim of course but is still considerable considering its 4" closer.

Matt Gent
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I did a similar thing using a simple CAD package to trace over an overhead picture I took. Sketches are in the link in my sig.

Set up a ladder, took overhead shots of deck and transom, sketched over them, scaled so they matched, scaled again to length, and that gave me a good baseline for making changes to the seating, deck, cowling, etc. I need to do the same thing again for the profile.

I've considered making an entire 3D model but thats a lot of work, rather take the time actually working on the boat. The 2D took about an hour.

benski
07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
If you really want to go first lass doing this kind of stuff, find a program called Solidworks.

afr
07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
techno
i am going to do that same deal with mine
its just $$$
i just need to workout the splash well end on the deal
as mine is a little different from a stv or anything else for that matter
i was thinking the ram weight and all i would just not put the ram in for now anyways cause of cost