PDA

View Full Version : Heard Bill Mason got thrown from boat

Jay Smith
08-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Heard Bill had some gear case issues and changed gearcases and was thrown from his boat while making a pass Sat. due to handling isues...

Glad to report Bill is OK and racing today ( Sunday ) .

Hey Bill bet ya "ole" butt is sore this morning , HUH ????

Glad to hear you were OK.....

Jay and Cathy

JohnR225
08-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I’m glad to hear Bill is okay… knowing Bill he probably came up with at fish in his mouth. :D

bill mason
08-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Damn tough weekend. We had a strong side wind coming over the dam that was catching all us Allisons when were were on pad at about 3/4 track. 2nd run prop shaft broke.A friend in the pit had a cle he said I could us. I had one of these on my boat before and it would always blow out at 89 mph. I was making my last pass of the day and at 95 she started flopping and took a HARD left and over the side I went!! A guy had pictures Sunday and not a good site. The nose went clear under the water. I sure don't reccomend going over at any speed. Little beat up but and sore as hell but otherwise ok. I guess all wasn't in vain we ended up runner up in our class of 16!! Thanks for the thoughts guys very much appreciated.

Hot Shot Merc
08-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Glad to read you are ok.:)

JohnR225
08-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Thrown from the boat, a little sore, and runner up still… nice job Bill! :D

I’m proud of ya!

You know the worst part is you knew what a CLE could do on your rig, but you wanted to race so bad you just had to chance it. Yeah I’d say racing is in your blood. :p

Congratulations on runner up!

stoker2001
08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear all is well
CONGRATS on the R/U
Who won M/E

Casey
08-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Dam dude i'm glad your ok. guess it could have been a lot worse.

Rocket
08-07-2007, 05:08 AM
BASS BOAT BILL,,, You scared the heck out of all of us!!!! :eek:

But really, Next time you want to go looking for your lost prop, you need to slow down first! :D

GOD BLESS

M.CHAPMAN
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Good to hear you made it through that one Bill. I hope one day I can shake your hand, I still go back and re-read that story in Dragboat review on how you got started racing, still one of the best racing stories in my book. Keep up the good work and hold on tight!!!!!!!!!
-Michael

slowverado
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Link to said story??? I've never read it...

M.CHAPMAN
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Matt, I'm not sure if there is alink to pull it up, It was in an issue of Dragboat Review at the beginning of last season. I'll have to get it and look to see which issue it was, Someone may know, or better yet if the man himself could tell it again that would be the best way to read it. The bottom line on it is anyone can go and do anything they put there mind to. It is a simple but inspiring event that I really enjoyed hearing about. Maybe Bill can offer his story. After hearing or reading it and now looking at the success Bill has obtained in racing will make a lot of folks who maybe "thought" about giving it a try, go and "just do it".
-Michael

JohnR225
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
After you know Bill Mason even for a short time there are some things that will stay with you.

One is, stop the BS and let’s run the boats… we can BS after!

Another is if you want to do it… you not only can, but he will do everything he can to help you! He has even let me barrow a gearcase to make a rally/drag race and we put it on in a parking lot where he worked before he was retired.

Then there was the year he had BOTH of his knees replace… and still made the rally. He should have been home healing up, but he was there!

The man has a BIG heart and is strong willed… Here is a picture of him drag racing from years ago, I believe back in 2003.

http://hometown.aol.com/johnr225/images/wild%20bill%20..lets%20drag%21.jpg

It’s still one of my favorites! The old man has a fire and desire to drag race and you best not stand in his way.

Let’s Drag baby! :D :D :D

slowverado
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM
wow...sounds like I gotta meet Bill. That pic is sweet, that Ally looks good. One of the first pics I've seen where I actually like the Alien Cowling

bill mason
08-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words. I have been blessed to meet some of the nicest people hanging around with you all "boat people". Used to do a lot of fishing tournments and met a lot of great people there also but sometimes "egos" get a little involved. Never ran into anything like that around real "boat people" anyway thanks again and always looking to meet new friends and stay in touch with old ones. We will be away from the computer for about 10 days-going up in the mountains of Colorado to see family. You all be safe and enjoy

Eagle One
08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I think I remember that picture...think I got one on the wall just like it.. Seems I might know where that particular motor came from??? You likely just jumped out at 85 MPH or so. Not used to that much speed... Probably sore from ya' wife kickin' ya butt!!! You too old to ride fast!!!! Glad you're OK.

Way2slow on H2O
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Mr. Bill, you have 2 stories to tell: 1. How you got started racing (WITH a bass boat) and 2. What you told the EMS crew at Marine Creek when they pulled you out, lmao.... funny funny chit, lol...

I was on the rope with a 1/4 mile disadvantage when you showed us your shoes and arial skills (you and I both know the side effects of a CLE on an A-boat) I was very nervous and for good reason.

Glad you're ok, and we'll see ya in Waco!!!!!!!! :)

Ronnie

bill mason
08-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Our computer crashed and we just got back on line??? Noah ya ole dog good to hear from ya. This ole stock 280 runs like hell and no problems (except when she is pushing a CLE!!) The story of how I got racing is a helleva one, almost to true to belive but it is to long a story. As far as what I told the guys who pulled me out I don't have a clue what I said?? Sures hell don't want to do it again, just now getting the black and blue to go away. Bet your butt I will be at Waco--nothin better for an ole fat guy to do. Take care guys and get wet at home or at the pool!!

slowverado
08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
When is the Waco race? I may have to head down for that

JohnR225
08-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Ronnie… What did Bill say to the EMS crew at Marine Creek when they pulled him out?

Wait let me guess…

“Did I win!”
“Damn that hurt!"
“ PLEASE don’t tell my wife!” :)
“Do you guy have any Crown on board?”
“Heck no I’m not hurt, I walked this way before the drag race.” ;)

Rocket
08-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Ronnie… What did Bill say to the EMS crew at Marine Creek when they pulled him out?

Wait let me guess…

“Did I win!”
“Damn that hurt!"
“ PLEASE don’t tell my wife!” :)
“Do you guy have any Crown on board?”
“Heck no I’m not hurt, I walked this way before the drag race.” ;)

Nope! I think He said ,,,,,,," I'm OK,,I was just looking for my $$$$ Prop"! :D :D :D

Rocket
08-27-2007, 06:10 AM
When is the Waco race? I may have to head down for that

Labor Day weekend!;)

Way2slow on H2O
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Bill told the EMS team: "i don't know why you're so worried, i was just tryin' to get enough momentum to dive deep to retreive my prop i lost earlier!!!"

LMAO!!!

btw, did anyone get a pic of Mr. Bill's "swan dive"?

"wanted: seat belt for Allison Bass Boat, must be capable of restraining driver in access of 95 mph and over 3 g's of force when hooked hard left".

Ronnie
SE 214 (too slow to be spit out)

bill mason
08-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Yea I remember that!! Damn sure wish I had seen it down there!! The new one I have doesn't seem to work as well as she did?? Guess the clock will tell. Didn't get to see ya at Maring Creek Ronnie. I will make a point to hook up with ya at Waco. Looks like it is going to be a good weekend for racin (like there is a bad one-well maybe OKC?) Sure like visiting with you and your fine boys. Have a safe trip and see ya at the races.

Way2slow on H2O
08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Bill, I had to go home saturday and replace the powerhead, took out #5.

Here's some more for your book, lol:

We had to leave friday morning for a Houston job, worked all night, drove back, missed 1st round saturday morning, leaned out in 3rd round and lost #5. Installed backup p/h, went out in 1st round after waiting 3 hours to run, made the slowest pass ever due to 2 dead plugs, lmao....(was in a rush and didn't have time to make a test pass, and Lake Worth was on my way!!!)

I found out last week my injectors were WAY rich, the ECU was FULL rich, and Linda Brucato was able to make me a set out of 18 injectors I sent her. Tony Brucato reprogrammed my ACU, I replaced ALL electrics (bad pack, 3 bad coils, and bad stator)(fix 1 thing and something else goes bad!!!)

I now have a new block (new sleeves) and Jay Smith magic pistons, spacer plate (Phil Conant), Chuck Goodman's "throttle in a bottle" magic formula and expert advice, Jim Brinkley's unending tips and tricks ( Jim, your plug advice is how i found all the problems:)) and Rocket's advice on how to cut a good light (from a 1.987 to 0.224) I think i'm ready for Waco!!!

Ronnie
SE 214 (empty pockets but still havin' fun)

jerry chichetti
08-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey Bill,
Just got registered and I saw your name. I have found it much better to stay in the boat. Glad you are ok.
Jerry Chichetti old Allison Pal

slowverado
08-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Bill, where abouts in the track did she come off? I can take some sonar equipment out there from work and probably find that prop for you.

Rocket
08-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Bill, where abouts in the track did she come off? I can take some sonar equipment out there from work and probably find that prop for you.

I think bills computer is down right now,,,, He was in the Outside lane, almost at the finish line if that helps... I know he'd love to have it back!;)

bill mason
08-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Ronnie, man if I didn't know better I would have thought I was reading some of my old posts (on engine problems) after reading what you are and have been going through all year. Hopefully you have got everything running now!! What ever happened to the first time you ran in Waco when you blew by me running 11s?? Ah the good ole days when everything seemed easy?? I lost the prop at half track--if ANYONE could find that baby (well I can't tell you what I would do for you). I had the prop maker take all the measurments off her over a year ago incase something like this happened but he can't find the darn card they were written on!!! I can sure direct you to about where she came off. Do you really think you might be able to locate it?? A prop on the bottom?? Sounds like that would be almost impossible to find?? Hey Jerry it is so good to hear from you. You know this Allison speed thing is all your fault don't you!! If you hadn't invited me to fish that tournment in your new Allison many many years ago I wouldn't have gotten the bug LOL!! Sure hope everything is going well for you. Great to hear from ya ole friend. Take care and leave a few smallmouth for the other guys to catch!!

Way2slow on H2O
08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
I'll fill my air tank, lol....
Bill, I've recovered several props (and motas) from previous races at Marine Creek. Justin (my son, the tow Ho) said it was a lil past half track. The depth is around 18-25' and visibility is 3-5'. The problem now is time, the prop is now covered with the green film and blends in with the bottom.

Ronnie

bill mason
08-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Yep thats why I haven't put much effort into trying to find her. I didn't think there was anykinda divise to locate her on the bottom. Hey Ronnie-let this be the FIRST!! race this year that you don't have mechanical trouble!! I know that clamp on can run!! See ya in Waco in just a couple days!!! Let the outboard smoke begin!!!

jerry chichetti
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey Bill,

when will you be racing near the Tri-cities? Jerry