PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought A 21' Eliminator Daytona - Need some Input

vette98guy
07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi All,
This is my first Post To this great forum, although I have been reading the post on these forums the last year or so.
Anyway, I just bought on Ebay a 1990 21' Eliminator Daytona with a Evenrude V8 that has a little work done to it and the previous owner told me that it's approx. 375hp. He laso stated the RPM's max out at around 6200 with a 30 pitch cleaver. The boat also has a hydrolic Jack Plate with 8" setback
Okay, now don't laugh, I have never driven a catamaran/Pickle fork style boat before and was wondering if someone had any driving tips and what to lookout for with these type of hulls. I have had it about a month now and have not put it in the water yet as I am leary.
Any help/tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and keep up all the good work on this great site!

vette98guy
07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi,

Did I post in the wrong Forum? I can't believe no one drives a catamaran type hull in this forum and can't give me a few pointers.
Thanks Again!

Unchained
07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
You bought a great boat. The 21 Elim Daytona is one of the best in my opinion. I've got one too but mines a V drive. Tunnel hulls are great handling. After having a tunnel you'll never go back to a v bottom.

This is my 4th tunnel hull. The rest were all jets.

vette98guy
07-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Hello Unchained,

Really nice boat!! Thank you very much for taking your time to respond. Like I stated in my previous post, i'm looking for things to be aware of in this type of hull.
I had a someone tell to be careful making turns unless the drive is all the way down. Is this true? I had someone else say to me that they were in this type of boat and it threw them right out while making a hard turn?
After hearing a few of the remarks that I heard I was wondering,
"what the heck did I buy "? I have never owned this type of hull before and after some statements like " becaerful not to blow over", Im hesitant of putting this thing in the water.
Do any of the above statements make any sense? Is there something to be aware of that's different from a V-Hull?
Any information or tips will be greatly appreciated and will probably make it easier for me to enjoy my first Catamaran experience.
Best Regards
Bob

Unchained
07-31-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't have any knowledge of how it's going to handle with an OB but just take your time before you go WFO. Seeing as its a 21' hull I don't think blowing over is going to be much of a factor like on a lightweight 18' hull.
The ride quality in real choppy water is where these tunnels really shine. You'll be riding on an air cushion and it is great.

Put up a picture of your boat or send it to me and I'll do it for you.
mark55@hughes.net

vette98guy
07-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Unchained

I will send a few pics. Thanks for your help and I will do what you recommend, just take it easy. Thanks again for the information and tips.
Regards
Bob

Unchained
07-31-2007, 09:45 AM
That boat is a beauty.
It's hard to beat the interior room that the outboards have.

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/daytona68072.jpg

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/rixalot/?action=view&current=M2U00333.flv

merc200
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Great looking boat! That boat won't turn as fast as a v-bottom they don't lean, but stay flat if you get some porpising when turning just trim the motor in a little and it will stop. Set your prop about 1inch to 11/2 from the bottom too start and get some seat time and raise it as you feel more comfortable with handling, The speed will come Daytona's are fast and safe hulls you just need wheel time.

vette98guy
07-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey Merc200,

Thanks for those pointers!! Its really appreciated and I will do just that. Im sure the more i'm in it, the more comfortable i'll feel. I just like to know what I can expect the first time out, I hate surprises and I don't want to look like an idiot out there.

To Unchained: That boat is sick! :D

HP
07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Beautiful boat.....Drive it like you stole it...........They are great boats as stated. Blow over is not a real issue with a single outboard and a heavy boat. It will take some seat time to get use to the handling. Tunnels are a differant beast. The main concern with a tunnel as with any boat be careful when running in rollers!!:eek: You can stuff one.....and it doesn't feel good:( Have fun and be safe:D

vette98guy
07-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi HP.

Thanks for the tip, I really didn't think stuffing the boat was an issue, but I guess anything is possible. Im on a river and the chop usually is not that bad. The biggest threat is a roller from other boats in the area and they don't really exceed what I believe is around 12" to 16" if Im not mistaken. Also, from what I understand, that's not that bad. I hope Im not wrong. I do have a 18' jet boat (Yamaha xr1800 V-hull 61mph top speed) and I did leave the water a few times on the wake of other boaters.
Im assuming that the size of these wakes that Im safe with the Eliminator, please correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks Again and thanks to all for the help and compliments.

HP
08-01-2007, 08:36 AM
That boat won't even know your on the lake with small chop like that! Get use to it.....then let her eat:D

CaDaytona
09-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Just becareful in swells. I stuffed my 97 daytona 21 last month and busted my windshield. Hurts like hell. Just becareful with swells and dont drop the nose at high speeds too much. Regular chop, nothing is better than a 21 hull.

sxpilot
09-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Its been a while since I have posted anything, congrats on the purchase of your 21' Old School Daytona, I have the Exact Same boat right down to the rigging, except the black on yours is Grey on mine, it looks like your was made in the MI factory?

Anyway I had mine up to 96 on GPS with the Evenrude 300xp, it is one of the best all around lake boats for the money. As people said earlier be very careful untill you have 100% confidence you know what you are doing, rollers are killers and will bite you in the arse if not careful. These boats are heavy and very stable all the way up to 90, they start to get real light at 80 but still locked in, havent been past 96 in mine so thats uncharted teritory for me.

I just bought a 280 for mine with an Alternator, I just couldnt keep lowers together for more than 20 hrs, 4 years and 4 lowers...that V8 sounds cool, kinda like a ferrari, but is horrible on gas, but on the other hand the torque it makes cant be touched IMO, hell 4 people and full fuel with ice chests mine still would go right up to 80+.

I live in Lake Havasu and to run on the lake on the weekends it takes a pounding sometimes, the big boats churn it up pretty good, but even so the 21 Daytona have an awesome ride, way better than 90% of the boats on the water.

Good luck and stay safe!

Any questions just ask..

eli
09-24-2007, 01:21 PM
when its rough its hammer time the only way to get there 23 daytona twin 260's,its easier to run on top than through it. that will come with time. seat time and know your boat also respect will bring you back.jay

wideglide55
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
vetteguy,
call me on my cell number 302-981-3451 after 7pm,I bought mine like you with a v-8 on the back,however I have turned to the dark side as you can see.

wkndracer
09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
when its rough its hammer time the only way to get there 23 daytona twin 260's,its easier to run on top than through it. that will come with time. seat time and know your boat also respect will bring you back.jay
Congrats on the boat! rig looks really good. The air cushion/pack in the tunnels is the key to the ride, also where the boat differs from the vee's. At speed rollers head on are cool but the first on a diagonal coarse can set the second to take your air on one side or the other.(not good) You'll get the hang of it quick I'm sure. Stuff just happens faster above 80. Tunnels handle great and have more tricks for you to play at the wheel than a vee ever would. Mine smaller/lighter at 18' trimmed alittle high coming off the pad I hook a turn dropping power and throw water up like a slalom ski, just sloshing the boat at an angle and powering out again. Just run up as your feeling good with it before you know it you'll be haulin' azz and having a blast.

vette98guy
09-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the information from everyone posting, It really is a big help and believe me, Im reading all your post.
I put the boat in the water about two weeks ago after a month of stripping all the clear coat off and polishing the gel coat.
I idled out past the no wake zone, seemed to run and idle fine as it did before I put it in the water. As soon as I hit it (the gas peddle) my first test drive was a total flop. The engine would not rev up, seemed like it was hitting a rev limiter or something to that effect. It was somewhere between 2000 and 2500 rpm's.
I now have to amke an appointment to have it looked at. Seems everyone is busy and won't be able to look at the motor for atleast two weeks. Looks like this season is shot and hope to have everything good for next year.
Thanks for all the compliments and the pointers/tips, its really appreciated.
Also, everyone that posted a link to their boat, I looked at them all. Everyone here really have great looking rides and I can see that you all care for your boats.
Once again Thanks and I'll keep you posted on my first ride.

Bob

mrtlbeez
12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I have that same package as you. That is a great looking unit there. I love my Daytona, but Ive had some issues with it. The front part of that hull is unsupported glass and is prone to cracking. Mine has been repaired at least 4 times (once for me). But all in all it has been a great boat. Drive it with very little trim, dont be afraid to use the jack and drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unchained
12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I love my Daytona, but Ive had some issues with it. The front part of that hull is unsupported glass and is prone to cracking. Mine has been repaired at least 4 times (once for me).

Really......Where specifically was the cracking ?
My Daytona's a 1983 and doesn't show any signs of cracking at all.
Hauling around a lot heavier motor than an OB too.
My hull has a main bulkhead under the dash that goes crosswise of the hull and two lengthwise bulkheads that run from the crosswise bulkhead on top of the tunnels toward the front of the hull. Seems real solid to walk on.

I don't think the boat got a lot of use through the years before I got it.
Now I run the s**t out of it.

mrtlbeez
12-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Both sponsons forward of the forward bulkhead have been repaired at least once and the left side one has been repaired twice that we know of.

Racemore
01-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Both sponsons forward of the forward bulkhead have been repaired at least once and the left side one has been repaired twice that we know of.

That is not common at all.:confused: :confused: :confused:

HavasuDreamin'
01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
mrtlbeez.... do you know if your boat was laid up at the CA facorty? I wonder if there is a difference between the boats laid up at the Mira Loma factory vs. the Wisconsin factory.

My 19' Eliminator Daytona was built in '81 making it 27 years old. It is a CA boat and as solid as a rock. I walk across the deck all day long. It has a few stress cracks here and there, but they are all surface stress cracks that are typical of a 27 year old performance tunnel.

Riverratt
01-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Vetteguy where do you boat at? We should get together.