PDA

View Full Version : S T V dreaming of 80+

jay1
07-21-2007, 12:47 PM
ok heres where im at so far.. stv .. im told one of the ariginal summerford tunnul v's "pre sale of company" anyway hull in good but ruff shape .. i got that part handled.. the motor thing however .. i tried a suzuki dt140 biggest thing i could get my hands on so far ,i picked up a several props from local speed shop was able to spin a 25 renagade it was very cool gave me lots of ambition now im looking for a real motor was told gotta be a v6..merc. been looking around got a few leads .. but really looking for the deal of the day ..im far from rich and being a single father its a bit ruff .. anyone got any ideas for me maybe some advice.. iv owened a bunch of wood tunnuls one full canapy wood 17 footer and 1 11 foot fiberglass inovation made 2 seater.. i feel like i finely found what ive been looking for.. just cant seem to get it together the right way.. gots lots a stuff to trade ....dirt bikes ,, sleds .. a couple old outboards...dt140 suzuki...johnson 115 ...would really like to get this project together....

Jason Johnson
07-21-2007, 01:01 PM
You get a good stock 150 or bigger, Merc, or Yammi. That boat, properly "SET UP" will easly go 80mph and then some. Get rid of all your unwanteds and get a good V-6 and you will be a happy man. Take your time and find a motor, don't jump at the first thing that shows up, thats how you got stuck with the suki.

jay1
07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
i here what yer saying .. i bought the dt140 cuz i just had to try it .. but after 1 ride i realized what a mistake that was... but im still searching

pyro
07-21-2007, 01:29 PM
These hulls require high motor mounting heights, propshaft even with the bottom or higher, and low water pickup/nosecone or CLE/Sportmaster case. They tend to like ET's, Yamahas, Cleavers, and cut choppers.

Look for a good, complete Merc 200. You'll be back looking for more...

whatsamerc??
07-22-2007, 07:45 AM
merc omc or yamaha will get the job done.you could start with a 150 yammi and later modify it to around 225 with nothing but bolt ons. that should get you to around 90.......benji

Fish
07-22-2007, 07:58 AM
hey jay, welcome to scream and fly. I would look at a 200 minimum. The reason I say that is that you will probably find that as you get to know the boat, you will want more and more. you can cut the heads on a 200 merc, and get low 90's with the right setup. STV's do not really break loose and pop the airbubble until the low to mid 80's, and having the power to get through that rather than get stuck in it is nice to have. Fact is, you can save some bucks right now with a smaller motor, but you will probably end up more upside down trying to make it faster down the road and also be working the smaller motor to death to do the same speed a larger motor can easily handle.

There are a couple of bridgeports for sale in the buy and sell thread that would be great. 245hp, you can still drive 80 if you want to, but when you start to outgrow that, you will still have plenty of motor left and will not be faced with throwing more $$$ at your motor, or biting the bullet and upgrading. just my $.02 having done the same thing.

Fl Boy in ILL
07-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Is your STV a Pickle fork or come to a single point in the front, STV made both most of us refer to the single point nose as a LTV. There is a BIG difference between the boats and require different set up. PPost a picture and where you are located.

Rick

jay1
07-23-2007, 06:18 PM
heres what ive been told... its a pickle fork .. im told its from the ariginal company that started summerford tunnul vee"s ts 18 feet long it has a small bench seat behind a single drivers seat all seats are embroiderd "stv" its unbelievably light the hull for the most part is flawless no rot what so ever the top deck in front of the boat supposedly sustained damedge from flipping at 135. ive got it fixed up enough where ive ran the boat with a lil 140 horse suzuki . i was able tO spin a 25 pitch renagade 4 blade prop 6200 .. i have it set 1 inch below keel .. it was a blast im so amped to get a real motor on this thing i cant even stand it.. i realize what im running on here is all wrong .. i just had to spark the ambition of my wife .. and when we seemed to effortlessly fly past anyone on are lake she was hooked ... and as well was i.. ive had several tunnuls all of them wood including a 1988 sst120 nationals winner owned by main marine .. im hooked on the whole tunnul thing my grandfather started me at 9 or ten with a swift craft 9 foot hydro and a twenty H. the biggest thing for me is that i am unable to just throw big money at anything... but i do believe ive found my dream boat.. and the biggest plus for me is its glass.. and from what ive been told its the one to have.. ill try to get the wife to post some picks .. i really appreciate all the good advice ive been getting this is a bit more boat than im yoused too..and can youse the knowledge..... thanks... jay from mchenry ill

Fish
07-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you got yourself a nice boat there. enjoy the 140 and start looking for some new power. looking forward to seeing the pics. BTW, was the work repairing the boat done by someone you know?

fish

jay1
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
the fiberglass work was started by somone else and they did a terrable job it addhered well .. but they did it from the outside .. i split the boat .. re did all the repairs from the inside .. put it back together and rigged it .. the dammedge wasent that bad .. ive repaired alot worse.. the only thing im considering now is a sticker to cover the dammedged area.. the local road rage custome shop could make me a true flame sticker that would make it disapeer in a minute... but id really like to change the color of the deck the bottom is white with no dammedge and the top is three different stripes of blue with onE red... but i refuse to paint it ... BUT HONESTLY.. im so much more concerned with a new motor ..... i keep finding great deals on 200 black max's but everyone i talk to tells me to hold out... and find a 2.5 like ive stated .. i cant just through money at this thing 3 kids 1 step .. new wife bla blah blah.... but ill get it .. and thanks again .. all advice is appreciated..

KG4
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
how fast did it run with the 140?

David Loftin
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
ok...you tell me who to call and who would have bolt ons for a 150 Yammie (1985 ETLK) and I will call them..I am trying to get some horsepower out of this 150.. I would be willing to give them my phone number or if anyone has a number to a shop that specializes in Yammies and and the parts I will need I would really appreciate some information...as always your help is appreciated...

hydromirk
08-19-2007, 08:19 AM
jay post some pics

150aintenuff
08-19-2007, 04:14 PM
ok...you tell me who to call and who would have bolt ons for a 150 Yammie (1985 ETLK) and I will call them..I am trying to get some horsepower out of this 150.. I would be willing to give them my phone number or if anyone has a number to a shop that specializes in Yammies and and the parts I will need I would really appreciate some information...as always your help is appreciated...

hydrotech.......need i say more...

wiredrods
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
You are working Way too hard! Go find yourself a 225 OMC or Merc, bolt it on and rock. There is almost no weight difference, and all you'll do is spend cash trying to get HP out of a smaller hp motor.

150aintenuff
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
You are working Way too hard! Go find yourself a 225 OMC or Merc, bolt it on and rock. There is almost no weight difference, and all you'll do is spend cash trying to get HP out of a smaller hp motor.

hydrotech phase 2 kit brought the 150 to almost 200 hp without any difference in reliability than the stock 150 proV probably the most reliable kit for the HP on the market ever... i know of SEVERAL that are un touched after nearly 20 years of operation....

YELLOWSS
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
just depends how fast you want to go!!!!!!!! we all have been there. i had johnson 140 then a merc 200, a bridgeport, and now a modified 260. run what you have, and save your pennies and get what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are a lot of motors come up for sale on here. good and bad ones. do yo have the ability to rebuild motors. there are a lot guys on here willing to help you.

if you buy one that needs just a basic rebuild, you will know exactly what you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!
instead of somebody elses junk....

ebay is dangerous, but i have got some good stuff occasionally...

good luck

roy