PDA

View Full Version : Penalty for higher than rated HP on your boat??

motoxconnection
06-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what is the penalty is if you get caught with a higher HP motor on a boat than what the rating is. My 1996 Stingray is rated for a 130 hp max. I really would like to put a 150 on it by next season. Do I look for a 135 Mercury and make some mods to it up to 150+ specs??? Just thinking ahead and wondering what I am up against.

Rich

hosejockey4506
06-24-2007, 10:20 PM
just take the stickers off and plead the fifth

Raceman
06-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Overpowering varies from State to State, but one of the big concerns is insurance issues. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that if you fool your insurance agent with some declaration that later proves false, that you'll have insurance in the case of a bad accident. In Ga. boats involved in serious accidents are impounded and evaluated by professionals hired by the state. If you've lied to an insurer they'll leave you naked when it comes to liability.:(

inspectorlance
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I've asked the USCG, no penalty, just send you to shore. Washington state is the same, they can just send you to shore. If your driving recklessly then thats a different story. I keep copys of the state and USCG laws and rules in a zip lock bag with my registration. In talking to the local water cops, I know more than they do just from reading the rules a few times.

Lance

whipper
06-24-2007, 10:46 PM
How long is she. If you hull is 20.1ft or longer there is no power restriction. Regarless of what the sticker say is the max recommended if shes over 20 ft you can put anything on her. The sticker in this case would be just a recommendation and nothing more. For instance Allison's says recommended hp of 90-150!! But because they are over 20 feet like 20.5 for mine they are not rated buy the US coast Guard. for insurance tell the truth like raceman said you will still get insured if your record is good. I have a 225PM and told them the top speed was 96MPH. No problem with insurance. They know how fast boats are with what power basically anyway. James

Racemore
06-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Thats because it is a suggested rating with the Coast Guard.State laws vary.Thats one reason some manufactures put Race boat on the transom and plate to exclude it from safe loading,flotation.and recommended power.Builders specify no liability on them to protect themselves.

The Big Al
06-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I just don't get it!

He has a 19ft boat rated for a 135!

But I can sell you 9ft Jet Ski with 250hp??

Total BS!

motoxconnection
06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
The official length is 17' 10" and is rate for a max of 130hp. My inline 115 runs good but I know I would be better off with a newer v6 engine. My biggest problem is budget. I was hoping to find someone with a newer v6 150 that has some bad cylinders and rebuild it over the winter. I have access to a engine machine shop and can get the work done for free so that would help me out. If anyone has something they would let go real cheap please let me know.

Rich

pyro
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
In many states such as Michigan, they don't enforce the limits. It's simply not an issue here, aside from getting insurance.

whipper
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Racemore the sticker actually says, states[ "Because this boat is over 20ft in length it IS NOT rated by the US coast Guard for efficiency" This boat complies with all US Coastguard safety standards. Manufactures recomended HP range is 90-150.] To me that says that boats over 20 feet can have as much hp as they want? The recomendation is buy the manufacture not the coastguard the way I read it. I remember asking about all this when I was bringing the boat across the boarder. Im sure thats the way it is in all states for boats over 20ft as per CoastGaurd regulations. Boats that are under the 20ft mark do have maximum recomendations set by the CG just not boats over 20, the manufacture sets the recomandations it that case. James

Racemore
06-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Racemore the sticker actually says, states[ "Because this boat is over 20ft in length it IS NOT rated by the US coast Guard for efficiency" This boat complies with all US Coastguard safety standards. Manufactures recomended HP range is 90-150.] To me that says that boats over 20 feet can have as much hp as they want? The recomendation is buy the manufacture not the coastguard the way I read it. I remember asking about all this when I was bringing the boat across the boarder. Im sure thats the way it is in all states for boats over 20ft as per CoastGaurd regulations. Boats that are under the 20ft mark do have maximum recomendations set by the CG just not boats over 20, the manufacture sets the recomandations it that case. James

Yes thats true.You don't have to floatation in it either bescause it's over 20ft.The manufacture rating the horsepower is a libility issue.I have the whole CG packet for boat builders somewhere around here.May be in storage.My 16 ft Rabco didn't have any floatation and a 225 on it.I got questioned about it and one officer told me to take it to the dock.I had him call the office because it is still a suggested rating and told him to leave me alone and went on his way.I don't think the motor was to big.:cool: Hell,it floats.:D

Racemore
06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
If they could enforce HP ratings 80% of the SK and Jet boats couldn't get wet.

TD
06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
I got a ticket from a fish cop in Il once. I took it to court and the judge dismissed it due to recommended only. I doubt there has been another ticket in Pekin, Il for that , since.:D

GPRACING
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
How do these jetski manufactors get away with it?I have a buddy with a new jet ski that makes 250hp stock.Ive also noticed the newer boats are rated for less than the same size boat from 10 years ago.

captcarb
06-26-2007, 06:35 AM
The CG ratings only apply to OUTBOARDS less than 20 feet.

jim

Techno
06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
The CG rules were spoda be a 1 year stop gap rating system using some wierd math on the boat. After the 20' thing you can put anything you want on it since going by physics 20+' will allow the Queen Marys engines to fit.

Usually though the engine doesn't say what the HP is and if it did a decal remover would take care of that.
Now a 2.5 on a 4' dingy probably would be assumed to be overrated even with no stickers on the engine.

As far as being told to leave the water. I consider this to be a problem. If you can't use your boat on the water what diff does it make if your not violating any rules but the authorities can enforce a restriction of their own.
Don't leave the water and find out if you can get a ticket for over powering your boat.

Jet skis get waivers every year of manufactering them. At least they used to. a thing was being attempted to eliminate this. The problem is jet skis don't have transoms so the ruling system has a problem with this "new" thing.

Wild Wil
06-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Jet skis get away with big HP since a few years ago they limited the top speed to I think under 67 mph. But this is only from the factory......we all know how to change things to make them go faster.

YELLOWSS
06-28-2007, 08:38 AM
in ohio it is 100.00 dollars a horsepower over the cg rating.. i called and talked to them before i did it. they told they don't write tickets unless you are more than 10% over. my boat was rated for a 140 and put a 150 on it. i called my insurrance company asked them about it, and they said the same thing 10%. it cost me an extra 35 dollars a year. i found out later that the motor was actually a 200. ran good mid 80's. it was a 17' norris craft bass boat. i even called norris craft and they said the boat would handle it.
i ran it for 8 years like that. i had a reciept saying it was a 150hp.

buy a 1,000,000 dollar umbrella insurance. it covers you no mater what over and above any policy for a extra million bucks. it's like 150.00 dollars a year.

roy

Techno
07-02-2007, 08:50 PM
One thing that has never been clearified is this rated hp or engine power?
A long time ago OBs were rated at the prop which means 140 at the prop could be more than the rating for the boat.
I still don't see how they can tell.
For that matter hp curves always fall at higher rpm. So in court you claim you were running over max hp and in the decline.:rolleyes: The engine wasn't putting that much hp out at 100+.

lilabner
07-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what is the penalty is if you get caught with a higher HP motor on a boat than what the rating is. My 1996 Stingray is rated for a 130 hp max. I really would like to put a 150 on it by next season. Do I look for a 135 Mercury and make some mods to it up to 150+ specs??? Just thinking ahead and wondering what I am up against.

Rich

I heard, but don't quote me, you get 30 days in the electric chair...