PDA

View Full Version : ***2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships*** (Radio Controlled of course)

ovalexpressracing
06-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi guys, Charleston Model Boaters wanted to get this out as early as possible. We know its a little early in the game, but wanted to give our overseas (and cross country) travelers time to make plans for this race. This is the OFFICIAL thread for the 2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships

The dates for this race are March 22nd & 23rd 2008

We do not have the flyer/entry completed yet, as we are still trying to determine the classes offered, as well as many other items, but rest assured, we will have a place for everyone of all experience, and all sizes of boats.

This race will be held at our new location located on Johns Island, South Carolina. This address can be used to get to the lake, it is located at the end of the road:

1673 Fernhill Road
Johns Island, SC 29455

This new location is about 15 minutes right outside of the larger city of Charleston, South Carolina. Very good opportunity to bring the family along for sightseeing, historical spots, shopping and great beaches. We will update you guys as time gets closer about hotel/lodging info.

Here is a link to google maps for an aerial shot of the end of the lake we are using. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&a....004828&t=h

I have talked with people from all over the world who are making tenative plans, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Canada, and from all reaches of the US. Dont miss this race, it will be nothing short of amazing.

I, as a Charleston Model Boaters member, have been elected the Point of Contact for the 2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships. Please contact me with any questions, concerns, complaints, or suggestions regarding next years race. My contact info is as follows:

Ovalexpress@netscape.net (this is the best way to contact me)
(US phone number) 803-233-4691 (6am-4pm E.S.T. only PLEASE!)
(European Number) +49-6385-425-398

(US address)
James Clegg
PSC 2 Box 12548
APO, AE 09012

Please also keep checking on http://www.worldtunnelchamps.com/ for updates concerning the race.

A race recap from the June 2007 IMPBA Roostertail can be found here:
http://www.impba.net/showtails.php

Thanks for the interest and support, Charleston Model Boaters, via James Clegg

ovalexpressracing
07-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Ok Guys, the Charleston Model Boaters has taken a vote and we all agree that the race dates have to change. The Easter weekend has caught us by suprise, and we feel this will have a large impact on turn out, understandably so.
The new dates for the 2008 World Tunnel Champs are: March 28th, 29th, and 30th.
This is one weekend later. We appologize for any inconvienences, but had to do what we felt was better for all. This will also allow our nothern folks to thaw out one more week and hopefully get some home practice time in before making the journey southward.

Thanks for your understanding! Charleston Model Boaters, via James Clegg

Mark Poole ModVP
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
If you have never been to a sanctioned RC race, you should come. This is the largest OB tunnel race in the world. Last year we had 150 boats and racers from as far away as Australia. Speeds range from 40 to 70 mph and the competition is more intense than lifesize. There is also a Mod-VP class that we race in this district that is included in this event also. The new race site has excellent viewing and plenty of parking.

Mark

moparbarn
07-25-2007, 12:44 PM
hey mark, welcome to s&f. good to see another familiar name join us.

Mark Poole ModVP
07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey thanks! Lots of good info here and can spend hours looking through all the old pics. Great stuff.

ovalexpressracing
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Ok guys, the time is now.
The CMB club just approved the entry flyer for the 2008 World Tunnel Champs.
You can download/print the form by clicking HERE (http://ramseyclegg.com/CMB_2008_Tunnel_Entry_Form.doc)
This race has a 250 boat limit, and we expect it to fill up fast. DONT DELAY, get your entry form in ASAP. Any entries without payment will not be accepted. No phone or Email entries will be accepted. PLEASE PRINT the information clearly.
Any questions, let me know. I am the point of contact for this race.
Thanks, ~James Clegg, Charleston Model Boaters.
ovalexpress@netscape.net

Mark Poole ModVP
02-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Taking this back to the top. Race is now under a month away. Over 250 entries from all across the U.S. and 9 countries. This event is held on one of the best RC race sites in the eastern U.S. Mod-VP class is up to 14 entries and 6 brands of hulls! Entry list reads like a whos who in the RC tunnel boat world. Cookout at the lake Saturday evening after racing.

More info www.worldtunnelchamps.com