PDA

View Full Version : 103rd APBA Annual Meeting

Danny McManus
01-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I think I recall that the American Power Boat Association is recognized as
the worlds oldest Motorsport sanctioning body. Anybody else hear that?
Since I won't get to go to this one(first one I've missed in many years)...
Anyone in Los Angeles over the next few days going, please keep us posted.
Thanks,
Danny:)

4-MULA-V
01-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Danny, The meeting went well as far as I know, I was not at all the meetings for all the categories as that is impossible since they overlap. I concerned my self with the OPC categories and region 8 business. You will be happy to hear that Super Sport rules will be left as is. Jeff Titus represented your reasons and views well. I put in my comments and that you and I had talked but I was on the commission for my first year and Jeffs long time experience was key. People that sit back and say "where does all the money we pay in dues go" really need to attend one of these meetings. With the amount of details, research and time spent on gathering information for most of the discussions presented, you would think all of the people that attended were highly paid individuals, compensated for doing what they do to run a very professional meeting. But that isnt the case, this professionalism and attention to detail comes from those that volunteer their time or are compensated with such a small amount in comparison to their contributions its almost embarrassing. Its the people that care more about boat racing than the money, they arent doing it for the money. If you look at the APBA organization you see a wealth of highly experienced dedicated people doing what they do so we can just show up and race. I also saw that there is a real problem just over the horizon. These People whether volunteers or paid members of APBA have been doing this work for years, giving up valuable time out of their lives for a passion called boat racing, the problem is if you look at these members, Most are not the young 20-35 year olds we would think would be involved with boat racing. These people are nearing the ends of their fascinating careers in boat racing, and going on to do what they have given up over the years. I am not saying any of them are old, I am saying we need to get new people involved immediately while they have the chance to learn from the very best mentors an organization could have.
The meeting covered a lot, but the dedication these indivuals have put into boat racing made an impression on me 10 times what statistics and the performance of the actual boat racers ever could.
With the folllowing example I dont mean to diminish the works of any of the key people involved in APBA or leave any of them out, this is just an example of what my point is here.
Sally Titus was inducted into the APBA honor squadron after 25 years of service to us the boat racers. I sat in on her scorers meeting and she had the answer to every scoring scenario, registration, everything but how to read Howard Pipkorns registration form. This women and many others cannot be duplicated or replaced. The amount of time they have put into this would make them all millionaires if they got just one penny for each of the hours they have contributed. I look at the hard time we and other regions have trying to get scorers and referees and inspectors, and I cant imagine over 25 years or more by some, this service to boat racing. How do we get people on a club level to be able to replace these key people in the years to come? How do we get them in a few years to learn what has taken a lifetime? Where do we get this type of dedication and committment from the racers coming up today. Is there still enough passion in boat racing for boat racers of today to become the replacement for these individuals Tomorrow? Who will replace the Sally and Jeff Titus's, the Gloria Urbin's, The Steve Hearn's, the Bob Wartinger's etc., etc., etc.? We have the key people in place we just need to concetrate on the big picture and work first and foremost on what will get people into boat racing and keep the ones we have.
We the boat races all owe them alot, right down to the people running our own clubs, who will replace them.?
Sorry for the book here but I think its more important than the reed area allowed or what motors should be allowed to run. We need to concentrate on increasing the number of Boat racers and the staff that makes it all possible. Keep it Safe, Fun and Affordable and it will continue. Remove any one of those and it will surely go away.
If anyone wants actual information or my notes from the OPC section of the National meeting, I will be posting what I have on www.twincitypowerboatracing.com some time shortly.
Jerry Sellner
Region 8

P.S. Thank you to all the new people and old friends I got to be with at the meeting, it was fun to hear all the stories etc.

Danny McManus
01-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Jerry. We appreciate your ongoing efforts. I enjoyed pitting next to you at the Kilo's last spring, you did a great job in that Formula-V Allison
setting the new record. I'm happy:D to hear about the freeze on Super-Sport
rules. Now I can get back on track recruiting new members to our sport. With
the help of you and your fellow commissioners, we can keep OPC boat racing alive well into the future!

4-MULA-V
01-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Danny let me know whats available for engines and complete rigs, I have my boat that would just need a motor, I have a friend I talked to today and he was very interested in SS. He was wondering whats available in a turn key setup and what would he have to spend. Jerry

quartershot
01-29-2007, 09:58 PM
OK guys we need to get off out butts and pull the boats out of storage and go racing let me know what i can do
7 grand Dan

4-MULA-V
01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
We need to get some boats up here in Minnesota so I can get some drivers for them.
Jerry