PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Woes

Hydro Gord
04-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Looking for a suggested solution to speedometer problem. My boat is rigged with a Yamaha and Yamaha guages. The speedometer only goes to 75 mph and when I bury the neddle I get a lot of water blowout out the back of the gauge...... I suspect that the pressure is too much for it (no jokes now about that's as fast as a Yammy should run............ HA!)

My speedmoeter pickup is a high speed Medallion Pitot tube.

Should I consider a GPS or Gaffrig speedometer ? What will work with my current pickup. Now don't suggest some awful flourscent unit that will make the whole guage panel look like a train wreck.

Any ideas appreciated.

Jimboat
04-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Sounds like you may have some water stuck in the line. Suggest that you blow out the line, and when it's clear, clamp the line to the pitot tube and also to the fitting on the back of your speedometer gage. At higher speeds, just friction fitting the hose on the connections is not sufficient.

Rickracer
04-17-2002, 09:33 PM
on my little Glastron. The pitot tube would blow off the back of the speedo at exactly 67mph. I had to clamp it to get it to stay. :cool:

patchesII
04-18-2002, 09:24 PM
i think i put a zip tie on it but can't really remember.got my attention the first time when my leg started getting wet.

Hydro Gord
04-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys........... I'll try it. I have broken off the pitot tube a couple of times at full throttle. I was beginning to believe that the wetness I was feeling down my leg was not from the speedometer but from the driver !

AquaHolic24
04-22-2002, 01:37 PM
Better yet, go with The Gaffrig Gauge, and utilize the Stainless braided tubing, with screw on fittings... they can't leak that way! If ya have the cash to spare though, opt for the GPS unit, thats the way I am going with the new rig......
As for the Yamaha speed issue, I get the same crap with my OLD Johnson, but hey, I was pushing 80ish with it last summer, still trying to get the feel for that unstable as hell Vector Hull though... Happy Boating........
~Tony~

AquaHolic24
04-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Oh yea.....
Otherwise, yea, like the others suggested, CLAMP it on, mybe adhiesive would work on the tube as well, the zip ties I tried would pop off too and get me all wet!!! Then again, I always was a bit nervous at the high speeds with that Boat, so maybe it was the driver!!! hahaha
~Tony~

Hydro Gord
04-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Ok...... clamp it and a little double bubble adhesive.......... try em both. If that doesn't work I'll go for the GPS or Gaffrig.......... and if that doesn't work I'll wet a finger and hold it up to see how hard the wind is blowing.

Techno
04-22-2002, 06:36 PM
NOW thats an idea! Not the finger, run the water hose so it points straight up through the deck. The faster you go the higher the fountain.

You might find little diffence in price between the pitot expensive gauge and the GPS gauge.

Rickracer
04-22-2002, 07:26 PM
You can get it for less at www.rickracers.com. :D :D :D

Cp
04-22-2002, 07:42 PM
....get a GPS. You'll miss your old speedometer so much it'll bring tears to your eyes......but you'll feel better in the mornings.

I recommend the Garmin 12 or eTrex.

Tom D.
04-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Techno the only problem with the fountian is you'll have to run windshield wipers on your gogles.:D HAHAHA!

Techno
04-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Think-Jet ski

AquaHolic24
04-24-2002, 12:32 AM
Hey Hey Hey, none of that Jet-Ski crap here... Geesh, keep that lake lice off the board, even as sarcastic comments!!!!!:D :D :D

jason
05-13-2002, 01:05 AM
I just installed New Gaffrig GPS speedo on my New Skater.... After ever only using liquid filled Gaffrigs, these new GPS speedo's are in on word UNREAL... Don't stuff around with pick-ups and water lines, bite the bullet and buy a Gaffrig GPS
jason@fairwaycycles.com.au

sosmerc
06-04-2002, 09:41 PM
The only way to fly.......