PDA

View Full Version : Dragsters, who's top dog? Post your quarter times.

at100plus
12-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Just curious, who's got the fastest quarter mile from a dead stop?

Post your best times and your average times.

Fl Boy in ILL
12-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Well the fastest outboard I've seen is Jon Wrights TINKER Toy, I know he ran on the ROPS at Phoenix a 8.03

Me I've run a 9.8 but that is also on the ropes so I get 125' run to the start, these are using a timing system that will read to 1/10000 of a sec. fastest speed in the 1/4 112.

Rick

drag120
12-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Jon also ran a 7.93 in phoenix . Personally I ran a 9.3 at 118 mph with the 125' lead also. There is some differences like running a speedmaster, nitrous what have you. Jim Dunn ran an 8.57 at 127 mph in Phoenix without nitrous.

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Before he got killed in it, Tom Kunzman ran high 130s(at the least, I don't recall e.t.s) in his hydro, Red Baron w/ Earl Moorman Merc. power.
Jeff

Ray Neudecker
12-09-2006, 09:26 AM
John also had a previous pass at Augusta that was 7.57 ET at 157 MPH. Jim Dunn ran a 8.34@ 139 in Augusta without nitrous.

Mark75H
12-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Racing was on earlier today on Speed Channel on Comcast ... Its from Chandler AZ, I think Jon was there with the inboards, but they didn't show the class he ran and only one run of an outboard showing that other boats ran besides the couple classes they showed

THE FAST ONE
12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">HEY RAY,I DON'T THINK ANYONE HAS TOPPED THAT WITH A SINGLE OUTBOARD.THAT WAS A HELLA PASS.THUMB'S UP TO JON WRIGHT.--ED</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

John also had a previous pass at Augusta that was 7.57 ET at 157 MPH. Jim Dunn ran a 8.34@ 139 in Augusta without nitrous.

props4u2
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
If this is the guy that was killed in Augusta several years ago, I've seen him run in the high 7 secs. in the mid 140's. That was several years ago, of course it wasn't much of a boat size wise eather.

Lee

Before he got killed in it, Tom Kunzman ran high 130s(at the least, I don't recall e.t.s) in his hydro, Red Baron w/ Earl Moorman Merc. power.
Jeff

Ray Neudecker
12-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Yes that was before the capsules, but he also had a longer start at the rope since the rope was at 175 feet then. Heavier capsule boats and in Jon's case, a rudder change things a lot. Jay Fisher ran in the 140's with his last V-8 set up.
Kunzman still holds the official IHBA record 7.56@136. There is no class now for them. Lack of participation killed it.

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Thats the guy, He's the one that prompted the rule change to fixed motor W/ offset rudder, his skeg broke on the tragic pass.

It was always a thrill to watch this boat, always nailed a beautiful pass! Only saw it have a problem once, broke driveshaft when he hit the nos, sounded like it hit 20,000rpm!!!!!!

Godspeed Tom, you won't be forgottin!

Jeff

stoker2001
12-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Racing was on earlier today on Speed Channel on Comcast ... Its from Chandler AZ, I think Jon was there with the inboards, but they didn't show the class he ran and only one run of an outboard showing that other boats ran besides the couple classes they showedThat SC episode was the 2006 opener in April and Jon was not there.The sorry ass whacker you seen was me in the final round of eliminations against Rick Barettas blown hemi hydro no less.Well,unfortunatly the air was brutal (corrected air density was 4600) and i had the better reaction time but the boat slowed to 10.21 and the hydro was able to cover his slower reaction time:(

tinker060
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Tom was killed at Augusta but he was not driving the Red Baron. He and Earl Moreman had been contrcted to tune and drive an old wood hydro (that belonged to Don Stegall) for the Augusta race. The boat had been around for a long time and was not really up to the power of a 2.5 on Nitrous. Unfortunately, I was in the other lane. Earl told me that the nitrous bottle broke loose and hit Tom in the back of the head and broke his neck. Other wise he did not have any other injuries. When you set down in one of these bullets you never know what is going to happen. It is truly in God's hands.

Tom was one hell of a driver and it was a shame that he had to go so early in his career. I have no doubt that had he ended up in the seat of the Red Baron that he would have been unbeatable and would have held more records than one could ever imagine. .

I thank everyone for their appreciation of the small contributions that I have made to the sport of Drag Boat Racing. It has been a great time and if the good Lord is willing I will be around to run a few more races.

Jon Wright

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Jon, my memory gets a little fuzzy, it's been a while since Toms passing, so I forgot some of the details(we have a video some place, of the tragic pass).

I by know means meant to disrespect Tom.

When this thread came up I had to mention him, only to remind those who may have forgotten him, or to introduce those who came after.

He was as awsome to watch as TFH!

Jeff

tinker060
12-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Jeff, I am glad that you brought Tom back into the picture. I took it as a positive because his accomplishments have not exactly been front page for a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

Jon Wright

The Big Al
12-16-2006, 02:34 PM
8:13 at 178mph! In a car!! (you did not specify)
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120282&stc=1&d=1166297639