PDA

View Full Version : Future racer looking for class

twd4
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Hello all, i am looking to pick the brain of a few seasoned racers mostly about tunnel boat classes in the south east. I am currently in Atlanta, GA and interested in getting into racing for some time now but there has always been a project in the way. So anyway i am currently between projects and saving up for a tunnel boat. My problem is that i am not 100% sure what i am looking for because i am not finding a whole lot of information about racing circuits in the Southeast. I work M-F and dont anticipate being able to travel across the country to race any time soon so im looking for races available to me within 3-6 hr drive if possible. Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina are all fairly close to me and would be places i could break away from work Friday and hopefully do some racing. I am looking at SST45 or SST60 and i guess SS would not be out of the question but would probably be my choice only if it were my last resort. Just trying to find the best class for my area. Most of the boat racing websites i have been to have got me little information on my region as to what classes/schedule are available so if any locals can throw me some knowledge on a good class to get into i would appreciate it very much.

Little background info: I grew up around tunnel boat racing as my father and uncle raced for many years in what class i believe to be Sport J. I spent my summers on Clarkes Hill lake on the GA/SC border and started off in a 15ft allison with 1500XS around the age of 13 then moved up into 100mph tunnel V boats mostly lake racing and tinkering/testing diff setups.....all the while i was wanting to race tunnel boats but it just never happened for me. A few years back i got the opportunity to drive a friends SST 60 boat and i have just been obsessing since then. I have had a few guys tell me i would be ok starting in SST120 with my boating background but my gut tells me i should get my feet wet in a 45 or 60 class. Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me. Tom

Fl Boy in ILL
08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Tom

Call Gordie Miller, he is here and that is his screen name, he has raced the classes you are talking about, he is up here in ILL. Do a search on his name and I'm sure his # is on there. Good luck

Rick

twd4
08-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Hmm ty for the info. I will try to find Gordie and pick his brain a bit. Ill. is a bit far for me to travel perhaps your telling me he used to race down in the southeast or maybe he just knows about all the regions? Anyway i guess i will find out when i get hold of him.

book bros marine
08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Check out www.aprsuperleague.com . They are the primary circuit for sst60 and sst120 . There are boats on there for sale also

jphii
08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Look on HydroRacer (http://www.hydroracer.net) too. There are some good deal on equipment and a lot of info on racing. I had to decide between going little boat racing or drag racing this year and went with drag racing. A runabout or hydro running APBA or AOF gets more track time in a weekend than I'll get all year! Some of them are VERY fast.

Gordie Miller
08-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I used to race 45 (88-2000) and 120 (2001-2003).

Bruce Washburn
08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
You should be able to find some very good SST 60 equipment for a reasonable price. In addition to APR there are several races in Florida each year. SST 60 is a great class and IMO has the most bang for the $. SST 120 is also a fantastic class but to be competitive will require a greater investment. If you want some more information on SST 60 I would contact Howie Nichols who is on this board from time to time. Gary Pugh who builds Pugh boats would also be a good source of info for either 60 or 120. You can contact Gary at Pugh Boat Works in Knoxville, TN.
Good luck
I hope to see you at the races
Bruce Washburn

twd4
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Thx for the links and info. I will continue looking for a good set up and look into race schedules around upper half of Florida. I was already planning to contact Gary Pugh once i got a nice pile of cash in hand. Maybe i will see if he has any used setups available as well to speed up the process. Thx again.

J.R. Saffold
08-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Turn Key SST-120 with prop and trailer! Very Fast!!! $14,900

J.R. Saffold
08-10-2006, 01:37 PM
ttttt

twd4
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Very Fast!!!

I can imagine :D Im sure i will be cutting my teeth in a 45 or 60 boat though. Beatiful rig gl with the sale.

twd4
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
You should be able to find some very good SST 60 equipment for a reasonable price. In addition to APR there are several races in Florida each year. SST 60 is a great class and IMO has the most bang for the $. SST 120 is also a fantastic class but to be competitive will require a greater investment. If you want some more information on SST 60 I would contact Howie Nichols who is on this board from time to time. Gary Pugh who builds Pugh boats would also be a good source of info for either 60 or 120. You can contact Gary at Pugh Boat Works in Knoxville, TN.
Good luck
I hope to see you at the races
Bruce Washburn

Bruce is the season over now or are there still some SST60 races in the near future? Unless im looking at in the wrong place the APR season seems about done..or im not seeing any future races listed. I would love to drive down for a few races if i can find some in the north half of Florida.

-Tom

J.R. Saffold
08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I can imagine :D Im sure i will be cutting my teeth in a 45 or 60 boat though. Beatiful rig gl with the sale.

Thanks, if it isn't sold by Augusta,GA on Oct 14,15 and the race is still on then I will be there.

I ran sst45 for a few years and had a blast!!!!

Good luck!
J.R.

Bruce Washburn
08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
"I ran sst45 for a few years and had a blast!!!!"

and what JR didn't tell you was that he won just about everything. If someone is looking for a winning 120 boat ready to go, JR's boat would be a great choice. it handles great and is a rocket.

As far as SST60 races there should be a local race in Frostproof Florida the last weekend in Spetember for OPC, Pro, and stock. There is usually a good fleet of 60's at the local races.

Bruce

twd4
08-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks, if it isn't sold by Augusta,GA on Oct 14,15 and the race is still on then I will be there.

I ran sst45 for a few years and had a blast!!!!

Good luck!
J.R.

Hmm. If its on i will plan to be there too. I think they may run 45s at augusta or they did years back.