PDA

View Full Version : Merc 80hp &115hp

MR. CBM
04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
hi everyone!
I am looking for the best place to get a factory service manual for the late 60's thru 70's Merc inline 6 style outboards. I have a few boats with an 80hp, 115hp, 150hp and want to tune them up as such as i have been told they are hard to start because of it. Something with troubleshooting, wiring diagrams and specifics on setting up the points and things like that. Anyone sell aftermarket points for these styles aside from buying OEM? Any help would be much apprciated.
Ted

Bruster
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Here you go....;)
http://tinyurl.com/eaxyj
If you are going to buy a manual don't waste your money on anything else.:eek:

Mark75H
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
hi everyone!
I am looking for the best place to get a factory service manual for the late 60's thru 70's Merc inline 6 style outboards. I have a few boats with an 80hp, 115hp, 150hp and want to tune them up as such as i have been told they are hard to start because of it. Something with troubleshooting, wiring diagrams and specifics on setting up the points and things like that. Anyone sell aftermarket points for these styles aside from buying OEM? Any help would be much apprciated.
Ted If you have Mercs with points they have to be 1966 or older. No points to replace or set on late 60's & 70's Mercs. If they are hard to start the solid state ignition modules may be getting weak. Rapair makes replacements. But I'd bet on dirty carbs first. Take Bruster's excellent advice and buy the factory manual on eBay ... it is worth 3 times the asking price in trouble you'd have trying to do it without

MR. CBM
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
thanks guys!
my 850 has points but my 1150 and 1500 doesnt now that you gave me some insight. I do notice the 1150(i'm working on that now) has alot of dirt in the cap and the finned plate(under the rotor) seems a bit corroded. Is that normal? Seems to have great spark but it just cranks and not even a hint of fireing. So you say check and clean carbs first? I just figured spark as the first thing is all. Many thanks again!
Ted

Mark75H
04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
An 850 inline 6 is an early 1960's motor, completely different ignition and pretty tricky to set up. You set the dwell on point set #1 and then set the other set off the first set. Template is here:http://www.pfs-ware.com/kwast/images/6cyl.JPG

If the 115 has strong spark you need to look at the carbs. Other than cursory cleaning there is not much to check under the cap and nothing really to set. I hope you have not changed any of the timing stop screws.

I think the plate you are refering to is the ignition trigger wheel ... it has 6 slots or pie shapes? Green is OK but not prefered. Check the center carbon brush ... if it is intact you are probably ready to put the cap back on and move on.

MR. CBM
04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
If the 115 has strong spark you need to look at the carbs. Other than cursory cleaning there is not much to check under the cap and nothing really to set. I hope you have not changed any of the timing stop screws.

I think the plate you are refering to is the ignition trigger wheel ... it has 6 slots or pie shapes? Green is OK but not prefered. Check the center carbon brush ... if it is intact you are probably ready to put the cap back on and move on.

no havent touched anything or changed anything. Has 6 pie shape deals so it must be the trigger wheel. I'll just clean quick and put it back together. I look into the carbs and get than manual.
Again thanks for the info, Ted

bh/
05-14-2006, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=MR. CBM] Seems to have great spark but it just cranks and not even a hint of fireing. So you say check and clean carbs first? I just figured spark as the first thing is all. Many thanks again!

I run a '80 1150 in FL with good compression [re-ringed] great spark, and clean carbs. It WILL NOT fire from cold after being left for two days or more.:mad: Trick is to prime it, ie; squirt some gas in one or more of the carbs and it fires immediately!! The engine will then run great, idle all day, and restart immediately w/o choke.:D If u do not prime it , try tilting it all the way down, squezze the bulb until u cramp your hand, never let off on the chokes, and try to find the 'sweet spot' on the throttle. Check also to
see if the chokes [only two] are operating correctly. In the mid '80s Merc went to primers [squirters] on these motors, and I intend to retro fit one. Not sure what the cause of this 'lean' start is on this motor, :confused:
but it gets worse with hours, and is a common afliction.
Great motor otherwise. Not sure if the other variants on the 99" block are like this also?

bh/
05-14-2006, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=MR. CBM] Seems to have great spark but it just cranks and not even a hint of fireing. So you say check and clean carbs first? I just figured spark as the first thing is all. Many thanks again!

I run a '80 1150 in FL with good compression [re-ringed] great spark, and clean carbs. It WILL NOT fire from cold after being left for two days or more.:mad: Trick is to prime it, ie; squirt some gas in one or more of the carbs and it fires immediately!! The engine will then run great, idle all day, and restart immediately w/o choke.:D If u do not prime it , try tilting it all the way down, squezze the bulb until u cramp your hand, never let off on the chokes, and try to find the 'sweet spot' on the throttle. Check also to
see if the chokes [only two] are operating correctly. In the mid '80s Merc went to primers [squirters] on these motors, and I intend to retro fit one. Not sure what the cause of this 'lean' start is on this motor, :confused:
but it gets worse with hours, and is a common afliction.
Great motor otherwise. Not sure if the other variants on the 99" block are like this also?

Dave S
05-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Like to start because the reed blocks wear out were the crank goes trougth. The ribs that keep the air from passing are worn and it don't draw enugth air to have the choke work. Pluss the reeds are not the best on closing with small area in the reed seats.;) Primmer valve needed. AKA new merc starting.

99fxst99
05-14-2006, 08:21 PM
If you ever have reason to take the trigger wheel off the shaft MARK IT FIRST so you will know the top side. The slots are not all the same on most 6cyl wheels except the race engines and you can put the wheel on upside down.If I remember the timing is different on 2,4, and 6.