PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about FunCat

dockdweller
03-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know anything about this, a 1985 FunCat manufactured in New Jersey? What years they were made, how many etc.?

T2x
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Larry Wurtzberger made them right after he left his position as Shadow's Production Manager. They were produced for a few years during the time that the Cougar "Cubs" were most popular (the first of the scaled down offshore racing cats). We ( George Linder, Ken Adams and I) created another plug for a Conquest "Kitten"...... but I scrapped the idea after considering the liability, and the bad crash that Joe Calabro had in a "Cub race" in Key West.

Those type of boats are neat and handle well...but keep the power down to realistic levels....and don't use them in big water. As far as quality......if Larry built it......It's probably pretty good....but old fibreglass and balsa core can last only so long. Have a good glass guy look at it.

T2x

dockdweller
03-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the advice & info! I picked it up while on vacation in the Keys a couple weeks ago. I was more in the market for a tender to my larger boat and a friend w me who once had one spotted it. Fun factor along w potential use as a tender to be towed etc.

The same friend was in his (50hp) when he let an inexperienced friend drive who apparently didn't throttle down when he should have and they flipped over. Especially since it'll be my first go fast boat I'm not looking to over power it-- he recommended 30 - 35. I don't want to have the same problem he did. As for 'big water' I'm most on the Chesapeake.

I know a guy here in MD (he owns Elan Trimarans) who said he'd look over the glass for me in particular the transom.