PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 150HP Stacker

smirnoff
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Does anyone have an idea on the production numbers of these racing motors & how many were made, or even the 135HP?

:confused:

And since I am asking, how many are taking-up too much space & need to get immediately sold/moved to my shop??:rolleyes:

Thanks,

~Bill

Mark75H
02-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Just as a guess, I'd have to say about 100 a year from 1968 to 76. Maybe more the first 5 years and fewer the last 3. Fewer than Merc racers, but a lot more than the OMC's.

The lower units seem to be very tough. There is one on eBay right now ... better grab it :)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4615676780
http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/45/94/27_1.JPG

Other than the racing lower unit and stacks (not all had stacks), I don't think there is anything special on these motors other than the 150 hp's special pistons, rings & head. Buy the lower unit and bolt it up and you are there ....

PS: the seller on eBay lists the gear ratio as 1:1 ... probably actually 15:14. Every Chrysler racing lower unit I've seen was 15:14. 14:15 is listed in the parts lists, but I've never seen it in person. There are rumors that 15:15 gears existed, but I've never seen any proof.

brichter
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't really understand the allure of these engines, I agree they look great on a stand but I don't know if or where you might ever run one of these engines. They are brutally loud. When my dad ran OPC there were a few 135 Chryslers running in UJ class, but none of them could compete with the OMCs KC13r or merc 1250 BPs they were competing against. My dad ran a GT115 against a couple of 135s and would actually outpunch them out of the turns, down 10 cubes. They had the top end speed however and passed him at the end of the straights. The Chrysler engines made a ton of noise, went nowhere, and seemed plagued with powerhead, electrical and lower unit problems.
I had a couple of 135 basket motors years ago, got tired of tripping on them and just about gave them away. When I think about it, I could cry. As Sam said, there really didn't seem to be any thing different internally with the powerhead from the service motor in the motors I've looked at. The only differences seem to be the stacks and the lower units. The used isolation mounts and I don't think they were any stiffer than the production ones.
There seem to be a lot of the short style 135 lower units with the pin drive propshaft around, (although a lot seem to be broken). The spline drive short units are a little scarcer and the long 150 style units seem to be rare. The stacks and hoods are like hens teeth.
I really doubt that many of the 150 motors were built, by the time they Chrysler came out with that motor they were illegal for OPC, I guess some drag racers bought some.
Nope, don't understand what it is about those Chrysler racers, but you can sure bet I'm looking for one!

Dave S
02-25-2006, 01:22 AM
The block was different. It had rasied squared exhaust ports and stainless steel rings around the top of the sleeves in the water jacket area. The pistons had triangle cross section rings and I think they were higher on up. The carbs were a lot bigger in the venturi. ;)

smirnoff
03-15-2006, 06:36 PM
STILL LOOKIN'..............:rolleyes:

~Bill

LakeRacer99
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I run across these lowers all the time...When are we gonna find some pipes?

Mark75H
03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-outboard-factory-racing-exhaust-stacks-RARE_W0QQitemZ4622544914QQcategoryZ50439QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/92/f3/f3_1.JPG

http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/89/c4/94_1.JPG

largecar91
03-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Don't see those on E Bay very often!!!

LakeRacer99
03-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks Sam...I bet my pockets aren't deep enough yet for those.

With 8 days left in the auction and they are already at $300, I bet you may be right...

Murray (clampon) I thought you were selling your Chizzler stuff...how much are they worth to you?

largecar91
03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
I Bet A Grand Doesn't Come Close To Touching Them!??

hsbob
03-17-2006, 01:07 PM
they were the motor i could not afford i their day. always remember they held the kilo speed record for a time, at least according the the picture in the show rooms. guess i telling my age.

Raceman
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm guessin' 5 to 600. (which is more than I'd pay for em)

Raceman
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
they were the motor i could not afford i their day. always remember they held the kilo speed record for a time, at least according the the picture in the show rooms. guess i telling my age.

I've posted this before, but there was an old Merc dealer here that'd had the franchise since the 50's. In the early 70's Merc pulled it from him and gave it to an owner from out of town that was willing to build a new facility. (back then they actually protected their dealers rather than settin' up anybody that will buy 3 pontoons, even if they are across the street from each other like they do now.) Anyhow, when Merc yanked this guy he took on Chrysler and was bitter to say the least. One day I stopped by his place with my 15 Ally and short 1500 behind my car. There was some Chrysler factory guy there and he started ramblin' and babblin' about how the Chrysler stacker would smoke my little Ally with the Merc. Of course I told him to bring it on. Some time fairly soon after, the guy called my Dad and told him the Chrysler stacker would be here the next day to embarass my Merc. We went to the local lake and my Ally, which would only run low/mid 70's absolutely smoked the guy. He had some little V, like a Critchfield or some kind of Ally wanna be. Anyhow, he made a bunch of excuses and said he'd be back in a week, but I never heard from him again. Every time I saw the old dealer, who was a friend of my Dad's I'd ask what ever happened to the follow up race and he'd just always say the guy was coming back soon. A year or two later I saw what I'm pretty sure was the same boat with the color changed on the highlights at the backyard races in Hazlehurst. There were several JP boats there with Mercs, and even one Ally with a 20" modified 235 Johnrude, supposedly a Jenks powerhead. Anyway, the Chrysler ran dead last in the class, which was some kind of run whatcha' brung V bottom class for anything less than V6's. The 1500 Mercs (I think there were 4 or 5 got the first several places with the 'Rude 3rd from last, then one more Merc, then the Chrysler in last.

brichter
03-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Raceman, No disrespect toward your Ally/1500 rig, I'm sure it was quick but the Chrysler stacker had a definite disadvantage. The Chrysler overdrive gearcase, due to both the location of the AV plate and the gear ratio would only allow him to use a prop that way too small to carry the boat even if he could find someting with a pitch that the motor could turn. If the Chrysler guy had shown up with a production fish/ski type 135 motor set up right, my money probably would have been on the Chrysler to win. I remember back in the early 80s Ron Baker blew away some of the fastest JP boats in the country with a Chrysler 135. Now, that was a 135 Chrysler fish/ski motor, not the race version.
No stacks or quicky, and the motor was stock.

Raceman
03-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Man, I sure missed on the Chrysler stacks. I was figurin' 5 to 6 hun AT MOST and they brought 800.

Raceman
03-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Almost a grand ;)

Yeah, yeah, so your estimate was closer than mine by 55 cents. But I'm declaring that we were using the PRICE IS RIGHT rules................... In the words of Bob Barker, "the actual retail price WITHOUT going over".:D :D :D

(y'all DO get American game show TV in Canada doancha'?)

largecar91
03-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Well I wasn't even close!! The way hi perf. stuff has been selling on E Bay, I thought they would go alot higher! I have noticed some things getting a little more reasonable. For a while it seemed all the seller had to do was put "racing" in the ad and it went thru the roof.

LakeRacer99
03-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Wasn't he in the movie Happy Gilmour as well?

yeah...The price is wrong, Bitch!...hehe

brichter
03-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Interestingly enough, the seller is located within 10 miles of my house.
Wonder who it is??? He's right, you bolt those on your motor and fire it up on the Chain O' lakes, you'll wind up in jail.
Besides the $800 that the buyer paid for them, he will also have to have the cover plates rechromed and make/buy (ha!) some gaskets and extract the bolts that will inevitably snap off when he tries to remove the cover plates.
The Chrysler stack thing has been hyped up tremendously. Those things look cool on a stand but not practical for use on a boat and way too hard to keep running. The next set of stacks you see on ebay will go for much less $$$.

Bill Schwab
03-31-2006, 10:40 PM
A 150 Chryselr stacker was what Charlie Rullman first ran on his Hustler tunnel. Then he hooked a 125 Merc stacker to the hull and began doing some serious damage to his competition. Someone sabataged his trim in Ohio, in those days he ran a '63 chevy convertable top cylinder mounted at the front of the gearcase.

Anyhow, with my 10' GW Invader and a 25HP Johnson and stacks, we could here Charlie comming behind me a 1/4 MILE AWAY

Bill Schwab
04-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Inline:

I agree! We used to take the shift inspection plates off the sides of small OMC motors because the exhaust housing was open and above water when we were 10 years old. Our neighbors got pretty mad about. So, we stopped and dad invited a local guy who ran an SK boat with a 427 Ford and dry over the transom headers for a weekend. After that wekeend, we never heard a word about the little clamp ons with no exhaust plate from the neighbors..

brichter
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
We took the big ugly air intake silencer off as well. She really screamed after that.

Beale
04-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Talked to Bill Edwards today and he said a lot of his stacker equipment is still at Dennis Point Marina in Drayden, Md. including his last engine.
Bill earned US 2 in 1971 and US 1 in 1972 running in the factory dominated S class. He finished 5th at the Miami Nationals in '73 against the factory boys. The only restrictions in S class were 100 ci max, built in the US and running on pump gas.
Bill's engines were always stock------in color. He did his own engine work and built some real screamers. Someone on this thread talked about the bad Chysler mounts. Bill had his engines hanging behind the boat on two A frames that were height adjustable. Both the height and trim cylinders were run off of one Merc powertrim pump.
There are some pictures of his boat on the other site under the E&T Marine topic.

2us70
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
In 73 Nationals were run in Eufala ,AL.

Beale
04-06-2006, 08:16 AM
You are correct. I ran Sport J there. Finished 3rd or 4th overall on Monday.
Bill ran Miami in 1972.

dale robertson
04-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Beale,
Are you the world famous builder of the Super Pickle ?
Dale

Beale
04-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, and I sold it (almost gave it) to a turkey that was going to repair it and return it to it's prior glory. Never saw it after that. Would you happen to be that turkey. What happen to the Pickle?

dale robertson
04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes, thats me. It made it back but not as its former self. I got the hull mostly done and I was ready to put the deck back on when my wife (ex-wife now) got mad at me an decided to turn it into a S-E boat by chopping one of the pickle's off with an ax. I kept it untill I moved and gave it to a kid that somehow turned it into a duck boat. I still have some pictures of it somewhere.
Dale

Beale
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
No wonder she is ex. The wonder is why she didn't become your late wife for that. I have no good pictures, there is a small picture of it on the wall behind my credenza her in the office. I can almost feel the ride when I look at it.
Homer Green told me after a race that he had never seen a boat accelerate out of the corners like that. I responded it wasn't the acceleration that counted, it was I usually didn't have to get off the pedal in the corner, just trim.
If you have a good picture I'd like to have one.

dale robertson
04-06-2006, 01:42 PM
If you have a good picture I'd like to have one.
I'll see what I can dig up. Did you build any other boats after you quit building the E&T's ?
Dale

Beale
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
RCs, told you about that in a private message.

all8up
04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
looky here, as clean as it gets!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VERY-REAR-1968-CHRYSLER-FACTORY-RACING-135HP-STACKER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ111125QQitemZ4630380664QQrdZ1

Mark75H
04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Yep, we know .... Same motor on eBay Listings forum ;) (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104812)

coinarian
04-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Funny you should ask but there appears to be a really neat almost new 135 on Ebay right now as well as that really cheap lower unit mentioned by a previous poster. I know this because I was surfing the net today trying to get an idea what the one I have is worth as I am going to sell it to make room for other projects. Mine was on a circle track hydro that I got in a deal years ago and it has just been sitting in dry storage after I got rid of the hull. I Marvel-ed it before stashing. I guess I did something right, it turns over smoothly with great compression. The heat has dried the mag belt and the wires are shot but it doesn't look like it would take much to make it run. Would probably be a great start for a rebuild project, just so one knows what is what, at least that is the way I would do it. Anyway I am trying to find the data plate/serial # so I can ID it, all I can find is a stamped 5 digit number on the flange that bolts to the middle/lower unit. I will try and attach a picture in case that would help with the ID. The engine was apparently run without the shrouding and the power head is on a custom built "spacer" between it and the lower unit, IIRC I was told this was because the type of boat it was on didn't require a reverse so it was eliminated. If this sounds odd go ahead and laugh but I am a car guy not a boat guy, sounded logical to me. I figured since it was not original I would keep the custom built spacer and lower unit to make an electric outboard but I guess thats not particularly important. BTW the really cool stainless racing prop and the shaft that it was bolted to is gonzola years ago. Told one of my workers to unbolt the prop so it wouldnt get hurt or hurt anyone and wire it to the engine before we put it away. Bonehead apparently took the shaft off as well and didn't affix either to the engine so yep, both long gone. Well if anyone out there has any input or advice on my deal, would appreciate it. Thanks in Advance David Chapman.

Mark75H
04-13-2006, 06:29 AM
David, yours is worth whatever a collector would pay for the stack adapters/filler blocks .... the stacks higher up on this thread were complete and looked almost new ... they went for $800. Since your pieces are kinda ugly and missing the stainless steel megaphones themselves I'd imagine you'd be in the $400-$500 range.

Can you give us another shot showing the lower unit? Even incomplete it may have some value to add to your package or at least I could tell you what prop shaft you need to find.

Most collectors are going to consider your powerhead and mid section dead weight that they don't want to pay shipping on. Chyrsler did not run consectutive serial numbers from year to year or model to model, so there is no way to get the model number or year from the serial number, but if the number is something like 1358, 1208 or 1058 that would be the model rather than the serial number and would add some value to the powerhead.

Mark75H
04-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Oh, yeah .... how about some pictures of the boat too! Old dragsters are cool!

coinarian
04-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi mark and thanks for the input, afraid the boat is just a memory. Cut it up with a sawzall and took it to the dump. Shame too as it was a really nice and well built piece. The craftsmanship was impeccable. Unfortunatly the gaping holes in the side of the sponson from where some idiot put a forklift thru it was sickening. I tried to give the boat to someone that would appreciate it and repair it but couldn't find anyone. I guess they dont race this type of boat anymore or at least around here (Phx Az). After it sat for years under various tarps and taking up storage space I just had to do something with it. I do still have the top fiberglass piece and the fuel tank, a few of the control pieces and the trailer. I will see if I can find a pic of this stuff or take one tomorrow and if I get a chance I will post it. Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse I am probably going to do something with the trailer. Don't know what I am going to do with the other stuff, ebay I guess or? The fiberglass top is still in pretty decent shape.

Mark75H
04-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Too bad you hadn't found us ... someone here would have loved to have that hydro and there are a few AZ guys in the group :(

Oh well ... how about a picture of the rest of the motor showing the lower unit?

coinarian
04-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I hear ya. Would much rather have given the hull to a worthy person than what ended up happening, which was me having to take a couple days of my time to cut it up into pieces and haul to the dump. And I was really bummed doing it and not just over the money I lost on the deal. I can't say enough about the workmanship and materials, a real craftsman built it, not some rice burner on a production line. At least I was able to salvage a few good pieces, maybe by finding a use for them it will live on. Anyway here are a few pics of the leftovers including the mid/lower unit. Maybe you will recognize the hull. I am pretty sure it was a circle track boat as the hull was offset and the seat is a circle track seat. Regards, David Chapman.

Mark75H
04-15-2006, 04:59 PM
The exhaust outlet above the cav plate shows that it is a Chrysler racing lower unit at the bottom. With the prop shaft out and the nose cone and gear missing I'm afraid you would have a long wait to find the missing pieces.

By far the most valuable parts you have are those exhaust pieces.

If you want to sell them to some one here on Screamandfly, let me know and I'll sell them a megaphone (I only have one) that fits it. They could use the one as a sample to make a second one to match. I'll sell it cheap

That cowling is pretty cool. I don't recognise it, but I bet someone could use it. :)

coinarian
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks Mark, That sounds like an excellent plan for everyone. With a sample the megaphone should be a snap to duplicate. If I had more time I would buy it off you and make up a couple sets. Unfortunately no time and I definately need to sell this stuff as I am cleaning out my storage. If you run into anyone here that might be interested in this stuff have them give me a ring @ 602-620-3173 and we can discuss and I will be sure to direct anyone interested in the headers to you for the megaphone. Regards, David Chapman.

Mark75H
04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
I also have a cowl cut for the stacks that can go for the cost to ship it, its a little rough .... and a Chrysler short mid section (I'd want something for the mid).

I will make this deal to you or the buyer ... the single megaphone, the cowl and the regular short mid for the fabricated mid you have, you or buyer pays shipping. If the you or buyer wants to throw in your partial lower unit, I'll cover 100% shipping my stuff to zips east of the west coast states, and 70% of shipping to west coast zips. This is because the rates for shipping go crazy for coast to coast compared to even a little less distance.

MN4V
04-15-2006, 08:38 PM
The cowling looks Molinari like and looks like breakaway steering?
Maybe the boat wasn't that old.
Mark N

smirnoff
04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
$7500 clams is a ton of money to pay for a Chrysler Stacker.....but, supply & demand, along with the condition & auction adrenalin will make somebody's wallet much thinner.....:eek:

~Smirnoff

SUPER STRANGLER
06-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Does anyone have an idea on the production numbers of these racing motors & how many were made, or even the 135HP?

:confused:

And since I am asking, how many are taking-up too much space & need to get immediately sold/moved to my shop??:rolleyes:

Thanks,

~Bill

My father raced a 150 HP Stacker mounted on a 15 foot long marine ply Coxcraft tunnel, built by Jack Cox from the Gold Coast Queensland, (pictured below), in the mid 1970's in Australia. At that time there were no more than half a dozen of these motors racing in Australia. By 1976 he was forced to stop racing the motor due to a law being brought in of no more than 85 decibels being the loudest a motor could be.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/powerboatracing1970s/seaeagleIII.jpg
Picture taken May 1975 of SEA EAGLE III driven by Paul Phillips at Port Macquarie NSW Australia

He tried all sorts of things to bring the noise level down, including fitting expansion chambers, and a huge muffler but in the end all he could do was run it with a side plate where the stacks had been. Running the motor like that caused it to lose to much horsepower and made it go like a fishing boat.

Below are 2 other pictures of SEA EAGLE III with the motors the boat raced with before then after the Chrysler.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/superstrangleralbum/Evinrude.jpg
Picture taken early 1974 the motor is a Johnson 135 HP with the engine cowl painted up as an Evinrude

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/superstrangleralbum/Mercury.jpg
Picture taken early 1976 the motor is a short shaft Mercury 150hp

The name of the boat SEA EAGLE came from my fathers favorite Rugby League team the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

Beale
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
The Chysler 150 stackers were legal in OPC S Class. Bill Edwards was National High Point Champion with a 150 stacker and E & T Marine tunnel in I believe 1972.

Beale
06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
In 73 Nationals were run in Eufala ,AL.
I finished third I believe in SJ in Eufala. Didn't run the finials until Monday .
I should have said Bill was National High Point 72 and second 71. My error
Wonder why at age 69 I'm a Junior member?

Marchettih2o
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
236735236734Ironically, I just sold my last 150 Stacker today...and YES that do make a lot of noise....gus in Texas

FUJIMO
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Wonder why at age 69 I'm a Junior member?

Come on, you haven't figured this out yet? You have to exaggerate to the point of outright lying about all your boat racing history. Not to mention the hundreds of others you are old AND current friends with, in the same sport. Then and only then, will you be believed to be, an actual living, "icon" here. Oh, and don't forget to threaten to actually write a book about it too, lol. (p.s....becoming a member here directly bumps up your status, if you feel the need.)

loop
06-25-2011, 07:42 AM
is anyone here interested in a stock (shiftable)Chrysler lower unit with a short shaft?
I had a 135 stacker motor years ago and I still have the stock lower takin up space in the shop.